DSR Question

R

RuralRoute

Got a question about DSR deliveries.

On Thursday I had a delivery for a residence that required a signature. Let's say the address was 123 Main Street. I drive to the stop, see a mailbox for 121 Main, a blank mailbox, and then a 125 Main. Using my Rocket Science and Advanced Calculus skills, I determine that the "blank" mailbox is assumed to be my stop, 123 Main Street. I knock on the door and a man comes out. He looks at the package, I tell him it needs signature, and he signs. I say thank you and confirm the last name, and we part ways. I'm almost to the truck and he says "Hey buddy, this package doesn't belong to me." Turns out the package goes to the trailer BEHIND his house... (Why didn't you say so in the first place, BUDDY?) I take the package back, but he has already signed the PowerPad, and it doesn't let you go back and cancel the stop. At least it didn't let me, anyways, not sure if you are actually able to or not, but I couldn't figure out how. I deliver the package to the right house and tell them what has happened. They say "Oh that's ok, we know him and we know we got the package so just use his name." Ok... So I use his name and move on.

Is it permitted to do this? And is there a way to "back out" of a delivery stop that has been signed for already? Sounds like a rookie question I know, but I haven't had this happen before so figured I'd ask for my enlightenment.

FedGT

Not permitted. Rescan the box code 17. Then redeliver to correct address and customer. You can't go back with the last update after obtaining a signature. Probably not the same code if you are express, this was from a Ground contractor.

Crozz

Not permitted. Rescan the box code 17. Then redeliver to correct address and customer. You can't go back with the last update after obtaining a signature.
He is correct even though they agreed and took the package they could say they never got and they don't know what your talking about and then set u up for a complaint and Mis delivery. Code 17 will be over ridden once you rescan and get a sig.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On Thursday I had a delivery for a residence that required a signature. Let's say the address was 123 Main Street. I drive to the stop, see a mailbox for 121 Main, a blank mailbox, and then a 125 Main. Using my Rocket Science and Advanced Calculus skills, I determine that the "blank" mailbox is assumed to be my stop, 123 Main Street. I knock on the door and a man comes out. He looks at the package, I tell him it needs signature, and he signs. I say thank you and confirm the last name, and we part ways. I'm almost to the truck and he says "Hey buddy, this package doesn't belong to me." Turns out the package goes to the trailer BEHIND his house... (Why didn't you say so in the first place, BUDDY?) I take the package back, but he has already signed the PowerPad, and it doesn't let you go back and cancel the stop. At least it didn't let me, anyways, not sure if you are actually able to or not, but I couldn't figure out how. I deliver the package to the right house and tell them what has happened. They say "Oh that's ok, we know him and we know we got the package so just use his name." Ok... So I use his name and move on.

Is it permitted to do this? And is there a way to "back out" of a delivery stop that has been signed for already? Sounds like a rookie question I know, but I haven't had this happen before so figured I'd ask for my enlightenment.

Verifying that the person standing in front of you is the same as the name on the package prior to asking for a signature would have saved you a lot of grief. No, I am not saying that you need to check his license----you simply make sure that the package is going to the right address.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Are you Express? If so, what I'll do is complete the stop then have the correct person sign also. The time will be later. If anyone asks about it, explain what happened. Simple. That way you can't get fired for falsification. It was a simple mistake. When you cover it up is when you risk getting in trouble.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you Express? If so, what I'll do is complete the stop then have the correct person sign also. The time will be later. If anyone asks about it, explain what happened. Simple. That way you can't get fired for falsification. It was a simple mistake. When you cover it up is when you risk getting in trouble.

Does your Power Pad have a Duplicate Stop function?

Our DIADs allow us to void packages. In this case we would simply void the package and then resheet at the correct address.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Does your Power Pad have a Duplicate Stop function?

Our DIADs allow us to void packages. In this case we would simply void the package and then resheet at the correct address.

We can back out of a delivery as long as they haven't signed. Once they sign, you can only complete it and then do it again.

l22

Deliver it again and get the correct signature. When you get back to the station, tell your manager what happened and keep a record of the time and date you told them this happened - timestamp it ideally.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
At Express, if you are at the correct address, the only time you are required to check ID is for ASR shipments. Otherwise, the signature you got was valid, even if it was a "shared" address. We deliver to addresses, not named recipients.

That does, however, remind me of the story of a coworker who delivered a big screen TV and got a signature, with a verbal confirmation of the recipients name, only to have the delivery disputed several days later.
Seems the house was in the process of being burglarized at the time, and the perp answered the door, signed for, and stole the TV.
My friend didn't find this incident to be as hilarious as I did!

mcutrono

Ive had this happen to me before and Ive just held down the power button till the pad reboots. Clears out any info you did as long as you didnt manually enter his name and close out the scan

SmithBarney

What you do.
ASK dispatch for a walkup(hit exception) package retrieval misdelivery, it'll ask if you are reattempting today. end the pup.
Then do the POD again at the correct location.
Do not just POD it again, a double POD messes something up in WDL RDL

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
What you do.
ASK dispatch for a walkup(hit exception) package retrieval misdelivery, it'll ask if you are reattempting today. end the pup.

This is the ideal way to do it. Otherwise, do it the way the others have suggested. Most managers I've dealt with don't have a problem with the latter if the 2nd POD is no more than a few minutes after the 1st one.

A double POD doesn't trigger a WDL/RDL event unless the final POD is on the wrong day or is past the commit time on the right day.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
What you do.

THIS will never happen with me. My dispatchers are so busy anymore it might take 20 minutes to get a walk up. Double POD it will be.