Dual Position. Preloader and Cover Driver Questions.

mett1982

Hi everyone! I applied for a posting for package delivery driver a couple days ago. I received an email last night saying they are hiring for a Dual position for Preloader (4am-9am) and a Cover Driver (8am-8pm). It says I need to be available for any of those hours. I just want to know what these jobs entails before going on to fill out my application and to set a time for an interview. Has anyone worked these Dual positions? Is it more of a temporary thing before moving on to a single position? Any info would help. Thanks so much!

upschuck

Never heard of this being hired off the street, but basically you'd work preload until they need you for driving. Initially you work preload and will transition to driving the closer to Christmas we get with a spotty transition when you go mainly driving. That is because you can't work that many hours and drive in a single day.

Preloading is load the trucks that deliver your packages(fast paced job, and physical). Driving is about what you think it is but 10 times worse.

upschuck

I figured it is more for the preloader job because I have 0 experience driving.
If you don't know how to drive a stick or want to drive, don't waste their time. There should be other slots opening just for the inside(no driving) positions soon.

It you get hired for the dual position preload/cover driver, you would be required to drive and past their driving tests.

I wonder if this position was normally just a seasonal driving job, and lost a lot of people for the lack of work early on.

mett1982

That's a good idea. I know how to drive standard. I haven't drove standard in probably 10 years but I'm sure it's like riding a bike. Looking over these threads about preloaders seems like everyone hates their jobs haha.

upschuck

That's a good idea. I know how to drive standard. I haven't drove standard in probably 10 years but I'm sure it's like riding a bike. Looking over these threads about preloaders seems like everyone hates their jobs haha.
Not everyone, just most of the vocal ones.

PT Car Washer

I think some of your driving time would depend on who they need more of, preloaders or drivers. You could be loading in the morning and driving after up to a max of 12 hours. Remember this all seniority based also and you have no guaranteed hours other then 3 1/2 for preload when they use you. Some of our preloaders drive after but UPS is required to pay them top driver rate when they want to drive. I agree driving is 10 times easier.

mett1982

Yeah it says in the email it says the position does not include any guarantee to the number of days and number of hours you may be worked. Seems like this isn't the job for me. I just wanted to get the gist of it and it seems like I would be wasting their time if I went. Thank you guys for your help. Appreciate it!!