Due for "retraining"

saskat

I'm a preloader and I've had three OJSs done on me in three months. I saw on my PT sup's clipboard that I'm supposed to be retrained, which will most likely happen either tomorrow or Monday. This sudden OJS madness started because management doesn't like my PPH, but they don't have anything on me other than I work "too slowly". And while it's true I don't have the greatest PPH, my load quality is excellent, my drivers are happy, their supervisor is happy, and my trucks generally leave about the same time as all the others my boxline. My assignment averages 700 pieces each day, and they say I should be done by 8am, if not earlier. I say that's asinine because they don't even call last package until somewhere around 815am, and then with run-arounds and last minute irregs, that's more time. My first OJS I was dinged for excessive walking. I never heard anything about the second one, and the third one was completed today. What can I do to tell them to shove their OJS and get them off my back?

clean hairy

You are performing your duties in the safest most accurate manndr while working by the methods.
If they want the job done faster, that is their problem. production is not a valid excuse for harassment.

saskat

I'm in the union and the steward in the last meeting told them that the OJS mentions nothing about pieces per hour. I repeat that I'm working as quickly and as safely and accurately as possible. The guys I work next to have a higher PPH but at least 5 misloads A DAY and never get talked to about that, while I have a decent but not stellar PPH and rarely misload.

Tough Guy

Keep fighting the good fight. Good loaders are tough to find. If your driver is happy that's then you've attained the primary goal. It tends to be a carousel of loaders around here, there's two guys in particular that are real good, but the usual guy sucks. So I'd go to bat for a good loader if I saw the sups giving him a hard time.

I'm a preloader and I've had three OJSs done on me in three months. I saw on my PT sup's clipboard that I'm supposed to be retrained, which will most likely happen either tomorrow or Monday. This sudden OJS madness started because management doesn't like my PPH, but they don't have anything on me other than I work "too slowly". And while it's true I don't have the greatest PPH, my load quality is excellent, my drivers are happy, their supervisor is happy, and my trucks generally leave about the same time as all the others my boxline. My assignment averages 700 pieces each day, and they say I should be done by 8am, if not earlier. I say that's asinine because they don't even call last package until somewhere around 815am, and then with run-arounds and last minute irregs, that's more time. My first OJS I was dinged for excessive walking. I never heard anything about the second one, and the third one was completed today. What can I do to tell them to shove their OJS and get them off my back?
friend them. You sound like a good ass Preloader. Don't misload and you're golden.

UPSGUY72

Just keep doing what your doing and play there stupid games they are trying to get you to go faster once you do they will expect that out of you all the time.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
  • Nowhere in your contract is production mentioned.
  • Do not sign or agree to anything where you agree to hit a certain number.
  • Excessive OJS's may be grieved as harassment.
  • Work as safe and efficient as you can.
  • ???
  • Profit.

Box Ox

You can't win a management popularity contest either way. Work fast and management whines at PCM about load quality and misloads. Work slow and it hyperventilates about its numbers. But the working too fast problems are what can truly get YOU in trouble. And worse, it can get you hurt. So just keep doing your thing and don't let them bully you. File if they're trying to make you work at whatever pace is unsafe for you. It's definitely not the same for everyone.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
If you have seniority, and are in the union then they can screw off. Work at your own pace, if they don't like it, they can suck it. Just nod your head at them and keep doing what you are doing. If you feel like it is harassment file a grievance. If none of that applies and you are still on probation then hurry your ass up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you have seniority, and are in the union then they can screw off. Work at your own pace, if they don't like it, they can suck it. Just nod your head at them and keep doing what you are doing. If you feel like it is harassment file a grievance. If none of that applies and you are still on probation then hurry your ass up.

You contradict yourself in your post. Why is it OK to "work at your own pace" if you have seniority but if you are on probation you should "hurry your ass up"?

The OP clearly needs to kick it up a notch.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
You contradict yourself in your post. Why is it OK to "work at your own pace" if you have seniority but if you are on probation you should "hurry your ass up"?

Greengrenades was giving the OP advice that someone shoulda gave you all those years ago.

You do what you gotta do, run like a deer and be a management kiss-aśs only until you make book and then regulate to a safe but productive pace.

You clearly weren't given that memo. Perhaps that's where your distaste for the union stems from?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
My distaste for the Union lies in their promotion of mediocrity, which you clearly exemplify.

image.jpg

UPS management promoted me to driver, big guy. Not the union.

Your rage is misplaced.