Dues and Don'ts

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by quamba 638, Sep 3, 2016.

1. quamba 638

quamba 638 Member

My hub has been taking doublers all year, they have the sign-up sheet, call everyone on it. It's still not enough. They end up working supervisors saying they called everyone on the list.

I think most of the reason is the extremely high dues for the new hires.

If a new guy makes $10 an hour, and averages 12 hours or less (which the majority do). That's over 20% of his/her check once a month in dues.

On the other hand, if a FT guy makes $34 and averages 45 hours a week or more ( again, which most do). The due is only 5.5% of his/her check. That's a pretty big difference.

Is there a better way to even things out to keep the PTers staffed?

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Daily/weekly guarantees are 3.5/17.5 hours respectively.

I agree that new PTers are gouged on union dues and unlike the FTers they normally cannot claim union dues on their tax returns as they most often do not have enough to itemize.

3. quamba 638

quamba 638 Member

4. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

If they can work double shifts all year what's the problem?

5. quamba 638

quamba 638 Member

Lol. Probably because they're all mostly FT students.

6. quamba 638

quamba 638 Member

But yeah, the problem is the same as I originally posted. About 20% of a new hires check is dues once a month vs about 5.5% of a FT check.

Has it ever occurred to you that they applied for PT job because it fits their schedule? If they wanted to work doubles they would have applied FT somewhere, not extreme PT at UPS. Most already have another FT job, Ft school, medical reasons. Also, do you know the wait time in between shifts if someone were to double? A PT double shift is about 6-7 hours with a 2 hour wait in between. That's "the problem".

7. Inthegame

Inthegame Well-Known Member

Another problem is your math. As Upstate posted, pt's are guaranteed 17.5 hours per week. But even using your numbers, at 12 hours per week that's still 48 hours (in a 4 week month) X $10 = $480. If this pt was paying 20% as you allege, their dues would be $96. A pt'er @ $10 per hour pays $20 per month in dues.

8. I pay $89 a month making $34+

9. Inthegame

And it's the best money I spend each month...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

People are not getting his point. PT'ers are paying a much higher percentage of their paychecks to the union for dues, then are FT'ers.

Also forgetting, that the initiation fees take another chunk out, when they are making the smallest paychecks of their career. And if still in their probationary period, they probably aren't getting work everyday, cutting into their checks more.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

image.jpeg
    If they stick it out they can be here someday.

12. No argument on the most part but the part timers are getting shafted

13. I completely agree

14. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

image.jpeg I went from part time to full time and now I'm having the neighborhood over for a movie night out by the fire. Just had to put in some work. Dues are well worth it.

15. 19 inch?

16. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

image.jpeg Was able to buy this movie with my Teamsters negotiationed wages. I'm going to eat two steak sandwiches first.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

No it's a 42 inch I keep in the shed. Unlocked!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Inthegame

Wish I was closer, that's a great movie!

19. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

image.jpeg Went from nothing as a kid to living a dream on my Teamsters negotiationed life. Still have sand in my toes from a day at the beach. Jesus had better plans for me after all.

20. Your wife has nice feet:-)