Dues and Don'ts

image.jpeg

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I don't know why these people are going home with only 12 hours a day. Union dues are only taking out twice a month and at 10 bucks in hour it should only be about 12-15 bucks. Unless it is different everywhere.

Inthegame

I don't know why these people are going home with only 12 hours a day. Union dues are only taking out twice a month and at 10 bucks in hour it should only be about 12-15 bucks. Unless it is different everywhere.
The IBT Constitution sets the dues rates, but local unions can assess higher with membership approval. The rate for $10 pt's is $20 per month.
Too many pt's leave before their 3.5 hr guarantee. That's leaving money on the table.

Jkloc420

The IBT Constitution sets the dues rates, but local unions can assess higher with membership approval. The rate for $10 pt's is $20 per month.
Too many pt's leave before their 3.5 hr guarantee. That's leaving money on the table.[/QUOTE

Yea that is a little high consider i have been at ups 15 years and I make over 20 bucks and only pay 26 bucks two times a month. Has for the hours I agree they should be staying but maybe they don't know their rights. Maybe their not aware if you volunteer to go home you wave your 3 and half gurantee.

Jkloc420

Too many pt's leave before their 3.5 hr guarantee. That's leaving money on the table.

Yea that is a little high consider i have been at ups 15 years and I make over 20 bucks and only pay 26 bucks two times a month. Has for the hours I agree they should be staying but maybe they don't know their rights. Maybe their not aware if you volunteer to go home you wave your 3 and half gurantee.

quamba 638

Another problem is your math. As Upstate posted, pt's are guaranteed 17.5 hours per week. But even using your numbers, at 12 hours per week that's still 48 hours (in a 4 week month) X $10 = $480. If this pt was paying 20% as you allege, their dues would be $96. A pt'er @ $10 per hour pays $20 per month in dues.

Trust me I know all about the 17.5 hours a week. I'm just going by averages in my area. 12 hours a week is average or on the high end at my hub for a part timer. If you wanted to go 48 hours a month= 480 along with a $25 due... That's 5%. But then would have to do the same for ft about 180 hours a month. With a 90 union due is only 1.5%. I'm not complaining about paying dues. I get it/support it. I'm just pointing out the PTers are the ones paying and nobody seems to acknowledge it. That's a large part of why they don't stay, I hear it a lot.

Inthegame

Dues for any UPSer over $11 an hour is at least 2.5X their wage.
The OP's point was as a % of earnings, pt's pay disproportionately more than ft's. He is correct.

quamba 638

I honestly couldn't imagine what they would do if everyone in the building stayed for 3.5 each day. Most of the hub is done after 2.5 hours the sort is complete, nothing to unload or sort.. Not sure how much longer the loaders stay.

PT Car Washer

I honestly couldn't imagine what they would do if everyone in the building stayed for 3.5 each day. Most of the hub is done after 2.5 hours the sort is complete, nothing to unload or sort.. Not sure how much longer the loaders stay.
Management would start laying people off. Then PTers would find a better job. Then management would be short of workers and either have to hire more employees or double shift high seniority employees paying them $50/hr.