Dues and Don'ts

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Years back, part time made only $1 less per hour than full time top rate. The company worked us hard and we got paid for it. Nobody left that much either.

B

BrownCubster

That's nice, but irreverent.
How is it irrelevant ( is that what you meant??).

I was trying to point out that the Teamsters helped me over 2 grand in a week as a feeder driver. You can't make close to that anywhere else in a non union job as a truck driver.

quamba 638

How is it irrelevant ( is that what you meant??).

I was trying to point out that the Teamsters helped me over 2 grand in a week as a feeder driver. You can't make close to that anywhere else in a non union job as a truck driver.
Because my original point was that new hires are paying a much higher % in dues. I was wondering what could be done to even it out more. But all I seem to get is people talking about how much they have or how much they make because of the union instead. I have a lot of things too from my non Union FT job. I put almost 30k down on my house only owe about 86k after just attaching the mortgage with extra payments and I bought it in 2012. But that has nothing to do with it. But it seems like certain people here when presented with a valid argument, go back to talking about how much they make or all the things they have instead. It's like their blankie.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Keep in mind that those who retired when our fund was fully funded are taking home just shy of $8K/month. No, that's not a typo---there are some making more retired than when they were working.
and that is ridiculous. It'll be why you and later retirees will be taking cuts now and in the future. They were over promised in my opinion.

That's why most(not all) pension programs are failing. I'd rather have the money put in my own personal investment accounts every week then a monthly "promise " after so many years that might not be there. At least if I get it into my investments, I can manage it better.

So if you were in charge of hiring/ keeping employees you would give them the Fed Ex advice? UPS is offering $2,500 hiring bonuses for new guys and they STILL can't get enough people to come in.
The wages for ups part times are minimums. They can always offer more. If they can't get enough people they can raise the wage. They get sick of not having enough people they can jack it up. It's actually pretty simple supply and demand. This happened in New York State.

10 point

Only those who failed to properly plan for retirement.

There are 6 of us within 5 years of retirement. Of the 6, there may be 1 who works beyond his eligible date. He has young kids and has not taken care of his business.

The next 2 to go are myself and a female pkg driver. Our plans have not changed.
Lucky for you that no one in your family never had any catastrophic health issues.

Life isn't always black and white.

10 point

The wages for ups part times are minimums. They can always offer more. If they can't get enough people they can raise the wage. They get sick of not having enough people they can jack it up. It's actually pretty simple supply and demand. This happened in New York State.
Minimum wage was increased as od Dec. 31, 2015 to 25¢ less than our pt starting wage in greater NY state and $10.50 per hr for food service workers and therefore they had to do something. Heck, in two yrs the minimum wage for big employers will be $15.00 in NYC.