Dues, Initiation Fees Just for Seasonal Drivers?

DSM515

I am an individual, therefore not an organization.
Read and think about what I posted.

Any organization will tend to accumulate power for the purpose of using that power to their advantage.
Unions as a whole are no better or worse than corporations ... they are both organizations.

But since you decided to take it here:
In this case, the Teamsters through the power of the contract essentially "robs" temporary employees, barely making the minimum wage, of their hard earned wages. It's immoral and Teamster's should be ashamed of this confiscatory practice.
A moral-based organization would not collect Union initiation fees until the employee gains seniority in a Union job.
Really, it's just the Teamsters? UPS has no clue this is going on? If UPS really cared they would address this with the Teamsters and try too come too some kind of "free period for helpers" they sure use "free period" in every other situation to there advantage. Just saying I thinks it crap on both sides of the coin not just the unions side.

DSM515

"And robs temps barely making min wage" wow, I'm sure if it were up to UPS they WOULD be making min wage. Not 12.88 a hour. I'm sure that was negotiated in the contract not out of the goodness of UPS loving generous hearts.

DSM515

"A moral based organization" lol this is the funniest thing I've heard all day. If UPS had a moral compass why would we need a union?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Really, it's just the Teamsters? UPS has no clue this is going on? If UPS really cared they would address this with the Teamsters and try too come too some kind of "free period for helpers" they sure use "free period" in every other situation to there advantage. Just saying I thinks it crap on both sides of the coin not just the unions side.
"And robs temps barely making min wage" wow, I'm sure if it were up to UPS they WOULD be making min wage. Not 12.88 a hour. I'm sure that was negotiated in the contract not out of the goodness of UPS loving generous hearts.
"A moral based organization" lol this is the funniest thing I've heard all day. If UPS had a moral compass why would we need a union?

The Teamster local is the one that compiles the "Dues and Initiation" request and forwards to UPS.
Contractually, UPS has no recourse but to deduct as indicated in this request.
If you want to see the Teamsters Local and IBT get all stirred up ... don't give them their money.
It's just the way it works.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The Teamster local is the one that compiles the "Dues and Initiation" request and forwards to UPS.
If you want to see the Teamsters Local and IBT get all stirred up ... don't give them their money.

#captainobvious

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If your happy I'm happy now. Just no more Beck talk. Get the permanent job and love your union.
#captainobvious
Agreed but my reply was to the #privateoblivious who apparently did not understand the mechanics.

Stonefish

How it works is UPS sends the list to the union with all of the employees and they are billed based off the list.
UPS doesn't just give anything to anyone, look at what they have done to their management team with the healthcare issue alone.
If it wasn't for the Union all of the hard working people at UPS would be making far less wages than what they are now with less vacation, no pension it would be a 401k instead that you would contribute not them, health care like what they did to their management team, etc.
Anyone who things they just give because they want to is dreaming. To get what we have has to be negotiated. Grievance forms, lights, going to negotiations/hearings and all the rest of it costs money.
In the Central helpers get $15 per hour it is far from minimum wage. They should have to pay just like the good union people working next to them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How it works is UPS sends the list to the union with all of the employees and they are billed based off the list.
UPS doesn't just give anything to anyone, look at what they have done to their management team with the healthcare issue alone.
If it wasn't for the Union all of the hard working people at UPS would be making far less wages than what they are now with less vacation, no pension it would be a 401k instead that you would contribute not them, health care like what they did to their management team, etc.
Anyone who things they just give because they want to is dreaming. To get what we have has to be negotiated. Grievance forms, lights, going to negotiations/hearings and all the rest of it costs money.
In the Central helpers get $15 per hour it is far from minimum wage. They should have to pay just like the good union people working next to them.
$500 initiation fees (albeit $25 / week) for 4 - 6 weeks of temporary work.
Obviously, any response to this is an opinion.

The people with power (Teamsters) will rationalize anything that will get them additional money.
That is the nature of organizations with power.

Stonefish

$500 initiation fees (albeit $25 / week) for 4 - 6 weeks of temporary work.
Obviously, any response to this is an opinion.

The people with power (Teamsters) will rationalize anything that will get them additional money.
That is the nature of organizations with power.
It is an opinion. Mine. I don't have any power in the Teamsters but paying dues as the person next to you in my opinion is a must.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is an opinion. Mine. I don't have any power in the Teamsters but paying dues as the person next to you in my opinion is a must.
Especially if that person is getting job protection, paid holidays, paid vacation, healthcare benefits and a pension.
I can see your point there.

Stonefish

Especially if that person is getting job protection, paid holidays, paid vacation, healthcare benefits and a pension.
I can see your point there.
We agree on that issue but there is more.
The seasonal's get the benefits of the negotiated o/t after 8 and/or 40 which a lot of non union companies do not have. They also get the benefits of negotiated $15 helper rate and $18.75 seasonal driver rate which non union companies do not have.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The seasonal's get the benefits of the negotiated o/t after 8 and/or 40 which a lot of non union companies do not have. They also get the benefits of negotiated $15 helper rate and $18.75 seasonal driver rate which non union companies do not have.

Not everywhere. I know that last year (my last peak) helpers here were paid $8.00 an hour. That said, our local, years ago, waived initiation fees and dues for seasonal help.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not everywhere. I know that last year (my last peak) helpers here were paid $8.00 an hour. That said, our local, years ago, waived initiation fees and dues for seasonal help.
Seems to be a hodge-podge from one local to another.
If the Teamsters got $15 an hour then dues could be moral in those locations.
Still not sure about $500 initiation fees when you know the temp will not be in the Union.

Stonefish

I can only speak for the region I am in which is the Central. Helpers were paid at 12.88 now they are paid at 15. As far as the dues my local does waive on a case by case basis

Stonefish

Seems to be a hodge-podge from one local to another.
If the Teamsters got $15 an hour then dues could be moral in those locations.
Still not sure about $500 initiation fees when you know the temp will not be in the Union.
I will agree 500 is a lot for a seasonal but I think the by laws dictate and if that is the case the members had to vote on that change. Maybe it's time for another change. Our initiations fees are even close to that

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I can only speak for the region I am in which is the Central. Helpers were paid at 12.88 now they are paid at 15. As far as the dues my local does waive on a case by case basis

This, unfortunately, is the problem, and I'm not trying to pick on you. The rules are a little different everywhere, and as soon as somebody says "it's this way," too many others think it's the same all over.

Stonefish

:1eye:
This, unfortunately, is the problem, and I'm not trying to pick on you. The rules are a little different everywhere, and as soon as somebody says "it's this way," too many others think it's the same all over.
Just for the record you can't pick on me I have no feelings