Dumbest accidents/mistakes you've made as a driver

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
peak season, brand new p700(less then 500 miles) caught front bumper on metal pole during bad back. yanked it out a good three feet, looked like a spear coming from the front. Half hour later of stressing balls off, found a secluded area lined up pkg car to a lrg oak tree and slowly shoved it back. perfect. except dimples on top and bottom of bumper.
denied all knowledge(had to be car wash)

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
peak season, brand new p700(less then 500 miles) caught front bumper on metal pole during bad back. yanked it out a good three feet, looked like a spear coming from the front. Half hour later of stressing balls off, found a secluded area lined up pkg car to a lrg oak tree and slowly shoved it back. perfect. except dimples on top and bottom of bumper.
I used a permanent cement parking pole.

Z

ZQXC

Exemplary; a future Circle of Honor inductee / LOL

Re-Raise

Same thing happened to me when I was being pulled out in the snow backwards by a guy in a tractor. Bumper caught a fire hydrant and he kept pulling. Thankfully the fire hydrant didn't pull off, and the only damage was the corner of the bumper sticking straight out.

Reported it and the mechanic straightened it out by driving into the dock at work while the center manager and I stood there and watched. We called it an "incident"

Mack Grant

I had an incredibly stupid accident last week that I intend to never make again. Ran into something on company property. I'm only a year into full time driving and have done other things so far like leaving my backdoor open and losing a couple packages (backtracked and recovered all of them), delivering late air because I initially went to the wrong street, getting a customer complaint because I parked unlawfully... etc. Very humbling. But I'll overcome.

So? Any other good accounts of screw ups?

My first week out by myself was rough. It was getting dark one evening and my nerves by this time were completely shot! I had a pkg for "3300 Longview Dr" (not actual address) and I looked everywhere but couldn't find the house. I had no idea how to sheet a pkg NSN so I called the ORS who had actually already gone home for the day:

I: "I have a delivery for 3400 Longview and there is no house with that number. All I see is 3403, 3407, 3411. There is no 3400 so can you walk me through how to sheet NSN?"

ORS:..... "Mack YOURE LOOKING AT THE WRONG SIDE OF STREET! WALK ACROSS THE STREET AND DELIVER THE PAKAGE!!" click.

Still kick myself over that one!!

Mack Grant

Once in a while I have complete screw-up days where I completely mess up everything I plan. Like I'll plan to take the second left and take the first left which then requires me to go through a maze of 1-way streets costing me 10 minutes.

I will find an envelope under bulk and plan to attempt it before I leave the business area then realize when I'm deep into my residential area I forgot.
I will grab one package for the consignee and walk up to the delivery location, put the box in their hand, get the sig, and then realize they have 2 packages and have to go back to the truck! I did this yesterday!!

upsbeernut

1.Threw a package up on the dashboard and broke the windshield. 2.pulled in a driveway consisting of pea gravel had to get pulled out. 3.took half my lunch in a liquor store searching for different beers.

upsbeernut

I will grab one package for the consignee and walk up to the delivery location, put the box in their hand, get the sig, and then realize they have 2 packages and have to go back to the truck! I did this yesterday!!
Yes sounds familiar, I sometimes don't look and see how many for that stop, hate that extra walk.

morgahorse

Was covering a route while the regular guy was on vacation. There was a business that wanted things delivered in the back with an L shaped drive. I usually drove around and did a J turn hanging the back end over the grass. Only problem they decided to plant some trees along that edge after I had made the delivery the day before because I didn't notice them until I felt a bump as I backed up the next day. I get out to see what happened and I had snapped and knocked over one.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I shoved an 80 lb steel bar right through the passenger side windshield once while I was trying to wrestle it out through the bulkhead door.

I delivered the package and tried to keep working, but the cracks were to the point where I couldn't see the rear view mirror on that side and they kept growing. I was 10 minutes away from having to start a two hour, 45-stop pickup route with an air drop at the end, and driving blind on one side.

Sooo....I pulled up next to a dumpster and proceeded to kick the remnants of the windshield out from the inside. Problem solved! Finished the route that day with no windshield on the passenger side, and wrote "replace windshield" in the DVIR. I was commended for my ingenuity by my on-car and had a brand new windshield in the car the following morning.

upsbeernut

I shoved an 80 lb steel bar right through the passenger side windshield once while I was trying to wrestle it out through the bulkhead door.

I delivered the package and tried to keep working, but the cracks were to the point where I couldn't see the rear view mirror on that side and they kept growing. I was 10 minutes away from having to start a two hour, 45-stop pickup route with an air drop at the end, and driving blind on one side.

Sooo....I pulled up next to a dumpster and proceeded to kick the remnants of the windshield out from the inside. Problem solved! Finished the route that day with no windshield on the passenger side, and wrote "replace windshield" in the DVIR. I was commended for my ingenuity by my on-car and had a brand new windshield in the car the following morning.
Sneak the car in the lineup and don't report it as an accident. Been there!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps you forgot to mention it but I couldn't help but notice that you did not notify management of your "incident" in a timely manner.

Sneak the car in the lineup and don't report it as an accident. Been there!

Kind of hard to pass off a missing windshield on to the car wash.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer

Must have happened before we went public. That was when we still had some supervisors with common sense and they ALL were drivers at one time.

upsbeernut

One year I stopped to look at stuff thrown out since I was nicknamed scavenger two in our center. I found old black and white photos of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe , Beatles, laurel and Hardy, the three stooges,etc...., thought I would grab all 10 boxes and take them to this older couple in the middle of my route that had a yard sale once a month. He said leave them here and ill put them out and give you half of whatever I get for them. That started a small business partnership as I would pick up everything I could each day and drop it off. The first payout from him was $300.00. So for 3 years I picked up furniture, cameras, computer equipment, lawn mowers, anything throw out . Not to shabby to have free money, then I noticed a couple of small pickups going around doing the same thing based around the two weekly trash days. Kinda spoiled it a little. Got a 700 now instead of a 1000 so the party is over. I still look its in my blood!

upsbeernut

Perhaps you forgot to mention it but I couldn't help but notice that you did not notify management of your "incident" in a timely manner.

Kind of hard to pass off a missing windshield on to the car wash.
Kinda but they weren't wearing their glasses.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One year I stopped to look at stuff thrown out since I was nicknamed scavenger two in our center. I found old black and white photos of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe , Beatles, laurel and Hardy, the three stooges,etc...., thought I would grab all 10 boxes and take them to this older couple in the middle of my route that had a yard sale once a month. He said leave them here and ill put them out and give you half of whatever I get for them. That started a small business partnership as I would pick up everything I could each day and drop it off. The first payout from him was $300.00. So for 3 years I picked up furniture, cameras, computer equipment, lawn mowers, anything throw out . Not to shabby to have free money, then I noticed a couple of small pickups going around doing the same thing based around the two weekly trash days. Kinda spoiled it a little. Got a 700 now instead of a 1000 so the party is over. I still look its in my blood!

You were doing this on the clock???

I have only done this once----there was a couple on my route who were giving away a very nice patio furniture set. I loaded the set in to the pkg car and dropped it off at my house later on that day (I live on my route).

upsbeernut

You were doing this on the clock???

I have only done this once----there was a couple on my route who were giving away a very nice patio furniture set. I loaded the set in to the pkg car and dropped it off at my house later on that day (I live on my route).
Oh yeah , their house was always on my route and that was back when you had the same stops everyday(good ol days) very consistent and productive. The car was big enough to actually ride around most of the day with the stuff and no tell on you matics in the equation.