Dumbest thing you did as a kid

Sammie

Because we didn't have enough money for everybody, one of us kids had to hide in the trunk of a beat up car when we went to a drive in. That person ended up being me. When we got there, the trunk wouldn't open up enough to let me out. But the rest of 'my friends' weren't about to go home. After watching the movie, they drove me home and my dad was the one who got the trunk open. :anxious:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Newly licensed and driving on Rte 224 from Wadsworth Oh. to Barberton OH. and wanting to see how fast the car could go on the empty freeway late at night......120 MPH and we didn't wear any seatbelts back then. What a dope I was.....but I didn't want to be late for curfew.

Big Babooba

Where do I start? As Henny Youngman used to say, "I've got a million of 'em.". One night, on a dare, I climbed to the top of a billboard. It overlooked a bridge that spanned the local river. It was all lit up so the spotlight was on me. I proceeded to wave at the cars on the bridge. I got bolder and began flipping everybody off. One of the cars turned on its strobe lights and I knew I was in trouble. My friends had run off down an alley leaving me to face the music. To this day, I don't know how I got down from there so fast. I caught up to my buddies and we cut through a couple of alleys and yards and continued on our merry way. If I was caught and my father got a hold of me, I would have been one 14 year old who would never have seen his 15th birthday.

The bridge has been rebuilt, but the billboard is still there. Every time I drive past, a smile comes to my face as I think to myself, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
When I was in high school my mom and I got into it one day. I can't even remember now what it was about but I called her a bitch. She came after me with a belt. The first swing and I grabbed the belt and wouldn't let go of it. At the time it seemed like a prudent thing to do. NOT! It wasn't a pretty sight when my dad got home. :surprised: I was grounded for freaking forever. My mom never tried to use the belt on me again, though.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
On my 16th birthday I had the bright idea to steal a bottle of bourbon from my stepdad's liquor cabinet and take it to school to share.

Got drunk, got sick, got caught, got suspended from school for 3 days, got grounded. For punishment I had to split and stack 4 cords of wet wood by hand. :sad-very:

Fortunately for me, one my friends snuck over with a late birthday present...a nice little baggie of weed to help me pass the time.:knockedout:

Tater's Dad

way back in the day, I was learing to fly a glider.... thought... hey this is easy.... I don't need an instructor.... Anyway.... needless to say, I didn't know what I was doing and crashed the glider... lucky I walked away that day.

Tater's Dad

On my 16th birthday I had the bright idea to steal a bottle of bourbon from my stepdad's liquor cabinet and take it to school to share.

Got drunk, got sick, got caught, got suspended from school for 3 days, got grounded. For punishment I had to split and stack 4 cords of wet wood by hand. :sad-very:

Fortunately for me, one my friends snuck over with a late birthday present...a nice little baggie of weed to help me pass the time.:knockedout:

Splitting and stacking wood was a punishment? my father and grandfather would buy 16 cord in the spring, and it was my responsibility to stack it to dry then put it in the house for the winter...

McLeod

I was turning the pulley of a portable air compressor over by hand when i was 5 or 6. The sound it made was like someone farting...it was all funny until the tank lost enough pressure and it started up. I should have unplugged it first, middle finger got pinched.

McLeod

When I was 17 got picked up with 2 other buddies for drinking. Got a ticket for poss. of alcohol in my body just blew a 1.2 One hour after picked up our small town cop told my buddy who was the driver and not drinking to get these guys home. I told him I was fine...dads pickup was parked 1 block from the cop shop. He dropped me off and I drove 7 miles home. In our state 1.0 was DUI very stupid of me!

rod

Retired 22 years
While waiting to process out of Viet Nam the last week I was there I got bored so I volunteered to ride in the back of a rat patrol jeep at night manning a 60 cal. machinegun. I shutter everytime I think how stupid (and wired) I was.

Sammie

Hitch hiked all over the state of Calif (where I grew up) ALONE.
Had to check out the sites. Haight, Monterey, Big Sur, Disneyland...
Young, trusting, and dummer than a rock...

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Didn't listen to my dad nearly enough. Wish every day I could hear him say hi now. Didn't tell my mom how much I love her nearly enough. Still have time to correct that. Don't know what ya got til it's gone.

UPSERNOJ

When I was very young, my father used to let me light up his cigarettes for him until the day I lit up my hair instead. That was the end of me playing with fire ever again.

bigbrownhen

Hilltopping at the local "big hill".Folded the front license plate under the bumper. Little did we(my future husband was with me)know I was pregnant with our first child. Stupid Stupid. Extra Stupid!!! THe next weekend some other kids died at the same spot. The county removed the hill and widened the road years later.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My cousin and I were the fastest kids on our block. We would hear the subway train coming down the El, and start running. Mind you, we were a block away. We'd jump the turnstyle and run up the stairs, just in time to catch the train. We'd do this whether there were cops there or not, as we'd always out run them.

We would also ride the subway with a bunch of friends. We, my cousin and I, were always the "craziest". We'd ride on the outside of the train or on the top, from one stop to the next. We were so indestructible back then, and STUPID! :knockedout:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
When I was 10 years old I used to hang out in the country with my cousin because it was summer and when his parents left for work he was all alone.

One morning in a grass field about a block away from his house we decided to light the grass on fire and we would take turns peeing on it to put it out.

My cousin lite the grass and just before it got huge I peed on it. My turn, I lit the grass and before it got huge my cousin peed on it. I thought we were done and we started walking away, in a few seconds the grass caught on fire again, but this time we were all "peed out" and started stomping on the grass in a panic. This only made the fire spread.

We ran to his house at breakneck speed. I turned around after reaching his house and saw billows of smoke rising into the air. In a minute fire engines and cop cars started arriving and this turned into a full blown fire.

When my Uncle and Aunt came home word got around that 2 kids playing with matches started this fire. When they confronted us I said we were home all day but we did see other kids playing in that same field.

This was a time where eating dinner was a sit down event with the TV on with the whole family. When the local news came on and showed the fire we were "awfully quiet" says my aunt. I've never hung out with that cousin again.

Big Babooba

It involved a fifth of Canadian Mist, driving with my teeth and being sick for a week.
Don't remember much!
Canadian Mist was a favorite of mine many moons ago. My '71 340 Duster had a 4 on the floor and a fifth under the seat. It made for some interesting driving. I'm lucky to be alive.