Dumbest thing YOU have done

Big Babooba

I had a large p/u account that had seperate p/u points. I did the first p/u without a hitch. between the 2nd and 3rd p/u dock I had to drive over a speed bump. When I got to the last dock, to my horror, I found the rear door up. I closed it and chained it. I retraced my path to the 2nd dock picking up packages along the way. the trail ended at the speed bump. I counted the packages 4 times to be sure I had them all. Thankfully I did. After that, I made sure the door was chained during and after I made those stops.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Left my rear door open driving down a major street and my dolly barely stayed in the truck. Also, when I started driving Saturdays my route was in my neighborhood so I stopped by my house and gave my son a ride around the block.

Didn't connect the chain on the back door of an old p600. Found my back door open at a stop and wondered how many packages fell out. Company got a call from someone telling them they had found five or six packages in the street. Found out that night that this truck has had this problem for years and was never fixed. Never again left the chain off a back door.

This happened YESTURDAY!!!

I was cramed at airport loading all shuttle for center and also sorting seperatly 2 other routes, (mine and my meet point). The shuttle guy called off so I got stuck with mine and his. it's not easy when you have to go through all the shuttle looking at every address for 2 other routes and pulling them seperate from shuttle with belt full speed.

Anyhow, enough excuses out of me. When done I slapped the dock door/locked it. Ran out jumped in my 600 and took off like a bat out of hell headed straight onto freeway cause I was gonna lose 40 minutes off my time for my meet point and my own route. People honked at me and I waved back with a smile and then I see a shuttle bag fly out the back door.

Oh crap, on freeway with my back doors wide open. :ohmy: Toke a mile or so before I was able to pull across 2 lanes to get to the curb and secure the doors.
Turns out, I got back to center and the other route I pulled was for someone at center so I didn't have a meet point.

Center manager told me a story on how when he was a rookie driver he did the same thing. I'll still be getting a letter on that one though as we both laughed it off.

Driving for a year without a blemish and I do something like that.
Caught others do the same thing but always got their attention before they got on freeway wondering what the heck were they thinking. Never thought I would do it.

Morning Freeway commuters, It's UPS with your package.:ohmy:

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
"I use to deliver the downtown area for several years. Pretty busy street with lots of tourists. Not sure how many of you do it bit I always roll up my sleeves during the summertime. As I was stepping out of the cab my shirt sleeve caught on the door handle and left me dangling on the side of the truck. The doubled up material wasn't ripping and my feet were dangling a few inches off the pavement. Talk about feeling stupid. Finally got enough force to rip my shirt sleeve and drop. "

If you had guns like me there would be no room for handle to slide between shirt and biceps. LOL,

center manager asks: why was that air late.

Drivers response: just hanging out.

8--@->:mad:<-@--8

On the real though I hate jumping off the seat to run a letter and shorts get caught up on the shifter, that i'l slow you down.

H

hseofpayne

Thought I had pulled back door shut on a p1000, pulled out of a loading zone in front of skyscaper and heade down a hill towards an intersection. As i got closer the light turned red so i stopped. Ilooked in my left mirror in time to see my magliner had come out of the rerar door I didn't close all the way, and was passing me on the left. It went right through the light without getting hit and came to rest against curb. The whole time it was rolling I was trying to figure out how to explin this!!!!!

ExupserNaples

I was a driver for probably 5 years and had a sweet peak route. All residential, about 200 miles 200 stops but it wasnt bad. The only bulk stop was a prison about 50 miles from center, it was also the first stop of the day. Well after driving that 50 miles wide open (prison was in the middle of nowwhere) i pull into the receiving area, go to back up and the car wont move (P500) I try to pull forward, wont move, put it in reverse give it some gas and snapped the driveshaft. How that rearend didnt lock up at 70 MPH on a 2 lane country I will never know....So, 2 hours later a parttimer brings me out a brand new Ford cargo van. We manage to get everything in the van and I am on my way 2 hours down. Well everything is going OK got stops lined up on floor seat dash etc. when I pull into a driveway I had been to hundreds of times. I grab a small box off the dash, open the door get out and take a few steps and I hear a painful crashing noise. I turn around and the new van has impaled itself into a large oak tree destroying the bumper, grill and hood. If it were not for that oak tree, the van would have taken out a garage that was down a hill. I knocked repeatedly to make sure noone was home and noone witnessed my stupidity. I called my manager, the same one I reported the rearend failure to, and he said we would talk about it in the PM. I actually got in at about 7:30, he was still there and he said lets wait til we take the van back after peak and see what the rental company says. Well after two long weeks the van was returned and a word was never said about it. No warning letter, no nothing. Im sure that would be termination now, and should have been then. Oh, it rolled away cause I didnt put it in Park, or set the EBrake...DUH.:blush:

SmithBarney

Walking and typing on the diad(like we are trained..) except
I walked into a plate glass door(which I had just entered the building through)
luckily I hit it with my forhead, diad, knee and foot at the same time
so the impact was spread out... :)

Another time, doing the same thing(slightly darker out)
took a quick step and a 2 foot boulder tripped me(they lined the edge of a driveway) lucky for me, I missed the next boulder with my head by about
6 inches..

Pollocknbrown

Walking and typing on the diad(like we are trained..) except
I walked into a plate glass door(which I had just entered the building through)
luckily I hit it with my forhead, diad, knee and foot at the same time
so the impact was spread out... :)

Another time, doing the same thing(slightly darker out)
took a quick step and a 2 foot boulder tripped me(they lined the edge of a driveway) lucky for me, I missed the next boulder with my head by about
6 inches..

maybe you should concentrate on walking instead of multi-tasking......

H

hseofpayne

Gave supervisor my cell phone number, oh and I quit college to go full time so I could get married!!!!! Now I have no degree and no wife !

huskervi

Mine would have to be locking my keys in the back....twice....on the same day... I was new to driving. Fortunately, my sup had known me from when I was a loader, so he knew I was not a complete idiot. But I actaully think I would have prefered calling in an accident to making that second call after he had already come out and unlocked my bulkhead once.:blushing:
I was helping during the xmass season I locked my drivers keys in the truck...

code5

A former female co-worker told us that once she peed in a driver release bag in the back of her car and a customer knocked on her bulkhead midstream.

She really should have kept those stories to herself. She said she even double bagged!!

We now refer to the bags as driver releaf bags!