DWAI IN CO, will it affect me driving?

Mrodriguez182

I'm not a driver yet, I've been trying to find the answer to my question, but can't really get a solid answer from anyone in HR. Thought I might try this, I got a DWAI IN CO In December of 2013. No revocation or suspension on my license. I'm able to drive on regular insurance as well, so am I able to drive if a position comes up once I reach my seniority date?

UPSClerkGirl

I don't think you can drive for 5 years after a DUI. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Btw I would change your pic and username. Trust me on this, you don't want them to figure out you're on here.

Mrodriguez182

DWAI and DUI are different when reading specifications on the job it says clearly with suspension or revocation I've had neither. Thanks for the input on the last stuff

UPSGUY72

You have to wait 5 years after a DUI or reckless driving conviction to drive. Your license not being suspended doesn't mean anything. You also can't have more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years and none in the last 12 months.

Mrodriguez182

You have to wait 5 years after a DUI or reckless driving conviction to drive. Your license not being suspend doesn't mean anything. You also can't have more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years and none in the last 12 months.
That's what I keep hearing, 5 years but I didn't get a DUI. I've never had a suspension on my license.

UPSGUY72

What exactly is a DWAI ? I would say UPS would consider it a DUI. Whether your license got suspended or not doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is whether it on your driving record or not.

Forget about saying your license wasn't suspend it doesn't matter...

UPSClerkGirl

That's what I keep hearing, 5 years but I didn't get a DUI. I've never had a suspension on my license.
I would bet the company looks at a DWAI and a DUI as the same thing. Yes you weren't convicted with a DUI. But it shows a level of impairment and they probably would question your judgement.

Mrodriguez182

It's driving while ability impaired, if it didn't matter why is it specified on bid sheets? I'm thinking there may be a difference. I could be wrong though.

Mrodriguez182

I would bet the company looks at a DWAI and a DUI as the same thing. Yes you weren't convicted with a DUI. But it shows a level of impairment and they probably would question your judgement.
You may be right I just wish I had a clear answer 3 more years seems like a very long time unfortunately. Guess all I can do is apply and find out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DWAI is issued when the BAC is below .08 (in NY). It is not the same as a DUI in the eyes of the law; however, we all know how the company operates and they very well may see them as one in the same, even though they are not.

To the OP: You've only been here for 6 months? Did you disclose the DWAI on your application?

Mrodriguez182

DWAI is issued when the BAC is below .08 (in NY). It is not the same as a DUI in the eyes of the law; however, we all know how the company operates and they very well may see them as one in the same, even though they are not.
You all are telling me what I don't wanna hear! Lol I guess all I can do is apply!

Mrodriguez182

To the OP: You've only been here for 6 months? Did you disclose the DWAI on your application?
No I applied for driver helper seasonal and then got a job offer for part time.