DWI Question

govols019

You smell that?
Sunday, June 1, 2008. 7:46pm

Life in prison for a 3rd DUI is ludicrous. 1 year in jail and loss of driving privileges for 10 years would be a more appropriate sentence IMO.

How do you propose to take away their driving privileges? You gonna take away their license? That really works. Let's see how you feel when a loved one is killed by a driver that has had multiple DUIs.

Driving while intoxicated is equivalent to randomly shooting a firearm inside a mall. Sooner or later you're gonna hurt someone.

Mike Hawk

In the land of freedom it wouldn’t be possible to stop people from getting drunk and driving, however with a justice system it is possible to stop them from doing it again. I think like one of those GPS foot bracelet thingies that could detect your BAC and notify the police when you got drunk would be appropriate. Maybe around the neck with big "I AM TARD" writing on it. 2 years of zero alcohol would be required to get it removed, and mandatory jail for any drinking while on it.

drewed

Shankman
1 DUI is a mistake, get put in to dry out
2 is a problem you need to get rehab
3 you are a menace to society, do us all a favor go be a hermit in the forest somewhere, that way the worse you could do is get boozed up and think bambi is starting to look good

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How do you propose to take away their driving privileges? You gonna take away their license?

Yes and I would also advocate for one of those devices that makes you blow in to a tube prior to starting your vehicle and, if you are drunk, the car will not start.

I am not naive to think that any of these solutions are foolproof. Taking away a drivers license does not necessarily mean that the person will not drive--he just won't do it legally. Installing one of the BAC detectors on a car can be fooled by having someone else blow in to the tube (I can just see the bad jokes coming). There are ways around everything but short of house arrest what else can be done.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes and I would also advocate for one of those devices that makes you blow in to a tube prior to starting your vehicle and, if you are drunk, the car will not start.

I am not naive to think that any of these solutions are foolproof. Taking away a drivers license does not necessarily mean that the person will not drive--he just won't do it legally. Installing one of the BAC detectors on a car can be fooled by having someone else blow in to the tube (I can just see the bad jokes coming). There are ways around everything but short of house arrest what else can be done.

How right you are. This reminds me of a couple of friends of mine who were out drinking when the one that already had a DUI decided they needed to drive to a different bar. Ends up he rode as passenger but steered the car while the other one worked the gas and brake. His reasoning was that if they got pulled over he would just let go of the wheel and the other one behind the wheel would get the ticket. :whiteflag: P.S. they didn't get stopped.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
I know this guy who was just convicted and got 5 years in prison for drunk driving. He was a corrections officer.

He drove through three towns with the cops behind him without pulling over and driving irratically. He finally stopped in his driveway, went to put the car in park, instead put it in reverse and hit the cop car.

This was his first DWI however, b/c he went through three towns, he was nailed with three DWI's. He said he didnt know the cop was following him with his lights on because of the weather and he didn't hear the siren becuase of his music being so loud.

Talk about :censored2:, he lost his job, his license and his freedom. Thank god he didn't kill someone, who knows what excuse he would have come up with is he hit someone or something.:speechless2:

BACK TO JAY...Should you be allowed to drive for UPS?

NO FREAKIN WAY!! IT IS QUITE APPARENT YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER YOUR SELF!

bellesotico

BOXstar
I just see it this way..
Drinking is a right...provided you are of age.
Driving is a privilege granted by the state.

One other thing. Could you imagine the nasty press ups would get if one of its drivers were in a tier 3 accident and during the investigation they discovered the driver had a history of DWIs?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Yeah seriously....One of my loaders had got a ticket for going through a red light and couldn't drive, has to wait a year! So if the DWI fly guy drives...that will be incredible and an extraordinary lawsuit waiting to happen...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Here in Ohio we have party plates. They are bright yellow with red letters. Funny thing is one of the guys working on/with the street dept, has them and he has safety vehicle placard on his truck:wink2:

Now all we need to do is put bright pink ones on every convicted pedophiles car, and on his address placard, then we will be able to see them a mile away, and help keep our children safe. :happy2:

drewed

Shankman
Here in Ohio we have party plates. They are bright yellow with red letters. Funny thing is one of the guys working on/with the street dept, has them and he has safety vehicle placard on his truck:wink2:

Now all we need to do is put bright pink ones on every convicted pedophiles car, and on his address placard, then we will be able to see them a mile away, and help keep our children safe. :happy2:

so these party plates are for people convicted of DUI?

rod

Retired 22 years
Where I live they have what is called a "whiskey plate" that the judge can order you to put on your car for a year after your own plates have been taken- usually after your 2nd dui. If you have whiskey plates the cops can pull you over at anytime for no reason just to check if you have been drinking.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call me old school, but I have always been a supporter of tough judicial punishment. While I am not advocating Middle East justice (shoplifters have their hands cut off), I do support strict penalties and advocate public humiliation for repeat offenders. I applaud judges who have shoplifters wear placards which state "I shoplifted from WalMart" which the offender must wear while standing in front of WalMart. I support the publishing of the names of DUI/DWI convictions in the local paper. Pedophiles deserve whatever public angst that they create. Deadbeat dads (and moms) deserve to have their tax refunds garnished and to have their names printed in the local paper.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I wish we had these "Party Plates" for drunk drivers down here. They should put them on the front and back of their cars. I would like to see a big sign in the front yard for child molesters, rapists, and thieves too. If they aren't in jail, then everyone should know who these people are.

bellesotico

BOXstar
Call me old school, but I have always been a supporter of tough judicial punishment. While I am not advocating Middle East justice (shoplifters have their hands cut off), I do support strict penalties and advocate public humiliation for repeat offenders. I applaud judges who have shoplifters wear placards which state "I shoplifted from WalMart" which the offender must wear while standing in front of WalMart. I support the publishing of the names of DUI/DWI convictions in the local paper. Pedophiles deserve whatever public angst that they create. Deadbeat dads (and moms) deserve to have their tax refunds garnished and to have their names printed in the local paper.

I think stiffer penalties are appropriate in alot of cases..but regarding deadbeat dads and moms..well child support laws..I hate to say this being a single mom, but..it is a civil law..not criminal. While I think it's despicable that some people have no scruples regarding their children..I'm sure it can't be all that healthy for a child to be made fun of by other kids because their mom or dad's name was in the local paper for being a loser parent. Gray area.

Sorry..I know my viewpoint on that subject probably isn't all that popular..but I think the child support laws need reform.

Oh..and sorry for the hijack.. :)