E R I

Tony31yrs

The scores that I gave always reflected how much forced overtime I got and how much they screwed up my route. If I liked my immediate supe, I gave him a good rating while downgrading the higher-ups. I always gave the mechanics a good rating.
It was always amazing how ticked off they were when they got a bad score when they were treating us like crap.

BigBrownSanta

I took the ERI and put strongly disagree for many of the questions. I also took advantage of the full 600 characters on the comments page. In fact I ran out of space to type everything I wanted to say.:angry:

But in the end, maybe someone really does act on the ERI, because one of the things I mentioned was that whoever came up with the PAS/EDD/Misload system should be fired, and well, Eskew did retire this year...:happy2:

leastbest

LeastBest
One year a supervisor practically begged me to take the ERI. I told him I'd take it if he would sit there and watch me take it. He sat there and I hit 5 5 5 5. He asked why I kept pressing 5s and I told him it wouldn't accept 6.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
One year a supervisor practically begged me to take the ERI. I told him I'd take it if he would sit there and watch me take it. He sat there and I hit 5 5 5 5. He asked why I kept pressing 5s and I told him it wouldn't accept 6.
you just have a bad attitude! LMAO

LiL"Comet"

ERI is reviewed by my district manager and taken very seriously, on the comments given if someone is pin pointed she will go straight to that manager and asked why this is happening or depending on information given want it fixed with the outcome. It will be given in March of 2009 next year the questions need to be answered what your personal opinions on what the topic is as a whole (meaning the benefits, pay, etc.) If you have personal beef with your benefits, compensation, and or sups/managers those need to be addressed in the comment section its not fair to punish maybe a sup, or someone who really does help you out. I know people's opinions vary on this subject but there's a reason to take the ERI there are good that comes from it for those who need the feedback they get it (good or bad).:peaceful:

pretzel_man

Here are some comments meant to address the questions:

- ERI will not be in 2008 and will move to March 2009. They have said that the questions are going to change. They also thought that 1st quarter is a better time to take the survey.

- They do NOT know who takes the survey unless your location keeps a manual log. I want everyone reporting to me to take the ERI and answer honestly. We keep a manual log and look at that log to see if everyone took it. The system does NOT keep track of what individuals wrote or rated. I've seen the ERI scores for many, many years and have never seen a person's name.

- The % positive number you see posted is based on the number of people that score agree or strongly agree. They calculate that for each question and then total it up for each work group and the company. When you hear that the overall ERI was 73%, that means that 73% of the answers were either agree or disagree.

- The ERI does NOT affect a supervisor or manager's bonus. It can affect their individual performance assessment and therefore impact their raise.

- The right thing to do is to answer honestly. Read the question, understand its intent, and make your decision.

- Finally, people do read the comments. I have to admit that they are painful to read. People are more apt to tell you what's wrong than what's right.

Even though many here think its a waste of time, I don't. I think the shame is that many locations only think about ERI once per year.

P-Man

upsgrunt

Pman-
If all the responses were agree or disagree shouldn't the score be 100%? What other response is there beside agree or disagree- the only difference being the level of which you do so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pman-
If all the responses were agree or disagree shouldn't the score be 100%? What other response is there beside agree or disagree- the only difference being the level of which you do so.

I assume he meant to say agree to strongly agree, which he had said in the sentence just before the one you have quoted above. I admit, I also had to read that twice before I saw his mistake.

Lil Comet made some very good points regarding the ERI, mainly the one where she said it should be taken seriously as comments made there are acted upon (in her operation at least).

PMan, just curious, is there any consideration given in the scoring of the ERI for those individuals who select "1" (strongly disagree) for every question just for spite?

pretzel_man

I assume he meant to say agree to strongly agree, which he had said in the sentence just before the one you have quoted above. I admit, I also had to read that twice before I saw his mistake.

Lil Comet made some very good points regarding the ERI, mainly the one where she said it should be taken seriously as comments made there are acted upon (in her operation at least).

PMan, just curious, is there any consideration given in the scoring of the ERI for those individuals who select "1" (strongly disagree) for every question just for spite?

Yes, you are right. I guess I had a senior moment.

The ERI % is the is the % of responses that are either Strongly Agree or Agree.

I have never seen any individual responses, so I can't answer the last question.

What I usually do is multiply the % responses for each question by the number of people in the survey. That gives me information on how many people feel a certain way.

P-Man

Brownnblue

So does this mean that, if you want to answer a question positively, it makes absolutely no difference if you choose to reply agree or strongly agree?

Brownnblue

Its not measured differently. The same with Strongly Disagree and Disagree.

P-Man

Then why is the option there? Doesn't that seem kind of strange?

I would think that from a statistical point of view, that information would be very beneficial in getting a more accurate reading of where you stand as a whole.

pretzel_man

I would think that from a statistical point of view, that information would be very beneficial in getting a more accurate reading of where you stand as a whole.

It may be used somewhere, but its not reported down to the districts and regions.

tieguy

Banned

thats about the worst thing you can do. It totally discredits the process and gives management an excuse on why their score is so low.

Pretend your manager is evaluating you. I'm sure a full evaluation of the job you do would identify at least one and probably several areas where they feel you do a good job.

When someone says they gave management they hit all 5's on an ERI then that means they also answered the questions about their co-workers and teamwork negatively?

Brownnblue

thats about the worst thing you can do. It totally discredits the process and gives management an excuse on why their score is so low.

Pretend your manager is evaluating you. I'm sure a full evaluation of the job you do would identify at least one and probably several areas where they feel you do a good job.

When someone says they gave management they hit all 5's on an ERI then that means they also answered the questions about their co-workers and teamwork negatively?

Pretzelman said in a previous post that individual responses are not seen. How then can management have that excuse? It would seem to me that if I gave the excuse of employees not caring about the survey and just answering negatively out of spite, that this would just make me look worse. On a number of levels.

While they have (luckily) been few and far between, I have had managers who have had nothing good to say about me, all the way down to urinating on company time. I can see your point, but sometimes spite can travel in both directions.

Also, isn't fostering a environment of teamwork and unity among workers part of management's job? As I remember the last ERI, the co-workers questions were pretty ambiguous anyway.

tieguy

Banned

there are a few posters that manage the ERI corporately that I had hoped would have popped in here and answered that question.

ERI has two purposes. A statistical tool for corporate to identify corporate trends.

a center tool to measure the performance of the management team.

The comments you make on the ERI are sent to all divison managers in the district. The comments will list the job type of the person who made the comment IE package driver, p/t supervisor, preloader etc. So all the districts package drivers will be listed together on the comments listing. Thus you have to go through the entire comments section to find ones that may apply to you. Unless you name names in your comment its often difficult to tell who a particular comment was directed at when mixed together with the entire district.

unpopular managers and divison managers definitely get their share of the comments.:happy-very:

drewed

Shankman
If I remember the ERI report i got last year, it gave me specific results to the questions and it also gave the previous years results to compare to. It weighed the strongly different then the general choice , I cant remember how many questions it had but like it would have a header (like communication, integrity type things) then a sub header or 2 each....I dont think there was enough to cover all the questions....We PCMd the results got together with the ERI committee for my work group and my manager wrote out action plans, and put some of those results in my QPR....So its really upto how the management team deals with it to get the results....if the results are put into a QPR (for the next year) it wont effect a bonus it would effect the raise you would get

Brownnblue

If I remember the ERI report i got last year, it gave me specific results to the questions and it also gave the previous years results to compare to. It weighed the strongly different then the general choice , I cant remember how many questions it had but like it would have a header (like communication, integrity type things) then a sub header or 2 each....I dont think there was enough to cover all the questions....We PCMd the results got together with the ERI committee for my work group and my manager wrote out action plans, and put some of those results in my QPR....So its really upto how the management team deals with it to get the results....if the results are put into a QPR (for the next year) it wont effect a bonus it would effect the raise you would get

Well, isn't this interesting. Apparently drewed gets the results of his ERI complete with statistical data consisting of answers at all levels. Pretzelman says he does not get this information, he only gets the percentages all lumped together.

I'm right back to where I started from. Does it matter if you select 1 or 2? Does it make a difference if you choose 4 or 5? If not, why? If so, to whom?