Early Driver Release Problems

ShortGuy74

As a Part-Time Air Driver, One week ago, I was given to many air stops. (I believe it was intentional.) And to not have so many late, I Driver Released a Business before actually being at the Business. Bring'n my late air packages from 3, down to 2 for that day. This is not the first time, but its one of those things my Driver Supervisor told me was OK. (in the Past). And has verbally told me, "that it was, OK; just get the packages off before the commit time, no matter what."

Now, I'm being sited with "Dishonest" actions. And was Suspended till, the next hearing (2 weeks). Now my Driver supervisor is playing DUMB, and is stating he never told me that.

I feel like it was a set-up, with my driver supervisor, being the ring-leader; Because of some drama, that happened back at Christmas.

What are my options? If any?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why all these stories of late air and why is it being tolerated by mgmnt. Hire enough people before you put us out of business.

ShortGuy74

@brownmonster -We're a small center. And they refuse to hire more employees for either pre-load or Air Driver. Its ridiculous.

@over9five - Like i said, were a small center. It took an act of congress before I found out the official rules for proper Work Shoes. No body knows the answer. I'm not trying to make an excuse but, I was naive and trusted my supervisor. I didn't know something like that would be sited under dishonesty. I've only been driving for a Year.

UPSGUY72

As a Part-Time Air Driver, One week ago, I was given to many air stops. (I believe it was intentional.) And to not have so many late, I Driver Released a Business before actually being at the Business. Bring'n my late air packages from 3, down to 2 for that day. This is not the first time, but its one of those things my Driver Supervisor told me was OK. (in the Past). And has verbally told me, "that it was, OK; just get the packages off before the commit time, no matter what."

Now, I'm being sited with "Dishonest" actions. And was Suspended till, the next hearing (2 weeks). Now my Driver supervisor is playing DUMB, and is stating he never told me that.

I feel like it was a set-up, with my driver supervisor, being the ring-leader; Because of some drama, that happened back at Christmas.

Your mistake was to follow your SUP advice to be dishonest just so HIS numbers would look better. Like us drivers he doesn't make the rules either. He suppose make sure we follow them he doesn't have the authority to tell you it's ok to break them. However all SUP will tell you anything just to try to get you to make there numbers better. Whether or not you follow dishonest advice is up to you.

For now on only sheet the packages when you get to the stop even if it's going to be late no matter what you SUP tells you or gives you the impression you should do.

Follow the methods and you will not have a problems even is you have late Air.

Did you call your BA ??? If not you need to do that first thing tomorrow.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Why in the hell would you do that without getting something in writing? When the ***** hits the fan (and it will at some point) then its 100% going to be you on the line. If it's wrong, don't do it. Looking good on your center report for the day is not worth your job.

iruhnman630

Before gps, driver releasing residential nda was not only a standard practice, it was pretty much a direct order. The justification being there was no reason to get hit for a late air when the customer was often not home anyway. I did it often in my early years.

No way I'd do it now.

hembone

I feel sure you will be back. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Man up own your mistakes and plead stupidity. You have to be atleast 21 to drive and I'm guessing you are older than this so as a full functioning adult you should have known better. When (if) you get your job back remember this will be your final warning. By the per the methods is always the only way.

browned out

You have to work as directed unless the direction is a safety issue to the public or you. I would have the sup call you and leave a voice mail directing you to dr package or any other dishonest activity that sups are known to direct. You then could file a grievance and call the ups help line to report unethical behavior.

We had a driver terminated for sheeting off area. A couple weeks later the oncar calls him at 4:55 and says I have a business misload for you. Can we meet before 5? The drivers said he was too far away and it would not be possible. The oncar calls him back and states that he is at the business and they are closed. The oncar then instructs driver to sheet package off area as closed. The driver replied that he was terminated for the very same thing and does not wish to be terminated again. The oncar directed him again and told him to work as directed and put the oncars name in the remarks column. The driver was not terminated but afraid to report it due to fear of retaliation.

The definition of dishonesty at UPS has too very different meanings and consequenses depending on whether you wear a tie or not.

brown_trousers

How did you get caught? Were they looking through your delivery records for some reason? did the customer call in a complaint? I didn't realize that was such a no-no.

UPSGUY72

brown_trousers:940769 said:
How did you get caught? Were they looking through your delivery records for some reason? did the customer call in a complaint? I didn't realize that was such a no-no.

When you sheet a package and your not at the right address the board starts beeping I'm sure that makes it onto a report.

If he sheeted the package twice once ni1 than sheeted it again as delivered a couple of minutes later that gets put on a report (paidover got fired for that).

Then again the customer could have complained.

kingOFchester

Told this story before:

Got message in DIAD "Call center".
I called.

Office: "You have a signature required pkg for XXXX Main street, Lady called and said its ok to sign her name. Sign it and leave pkg in storm door"
Me: "sounds good, just send the instructions in a message threw the DIAD"
Office "Uhhh....OK"

5 minutes later I get message "never mind"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you sheet a package and your not at the right address the board starts beeping I'm sure that makes it onto a report.

This is not true.

If he sheeted the package twice once ni1 than sheeted it again as delivered a couple of minutes later that gets put on a report (paidover got fired for that).

I have been told that if there is less than 30 minutes between delivery attempts it ends up on a report.

This is most likely what happened.

UPSGUY72

This is not true.

Is that because know one has told you that. You would be surprised at come up on a report these day.

I have been told that if there is less than 30 minutes between delivery attempts it ends up on a report.

This is most likely what happened.

UPSGUY72

Told this story before:

Got message in DIAD "Call center".
I called.

Office: "You have a signature required pkg for XXXX Main street, Lady called and said its ok to sign her name. Sign it and leave pkg in storm door"
Me: "sounds good, just send the instructions in a message threw the DIAD"
Office "Uhhh....OK"

5 minutes later I get message "never mind"

I hope you know they can can delete those messages they send you over the Diad. So it looks like they never sent them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hope you know they can can delete those messages they send you over the Diad. So it looks like they never sent them.

...which is why you take a cell phone pic of any "work as directed" messages.

The only time sheeting a package at a location other than the delivery address becomes an issue is if there is a concern or a driver follow up. They will then print out the GPS location at the time of delivery and attach that to the DFU. Beyond that sheeting a package not at the delivery address does not generate a report.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If, as Upstate says, you take a cell picture, can you then potentially be fired for it? I have no idea. That's why I am asking.

If, as Upstate says, you take a cell picture, can you then potentially be fired for it? I have no idea. That's why I am asking.

I take cell pics of any bad moves, exceptions, etc. UPS will happily pull up any move/message that they can use to burn you with. I happily pull up ones that prove they can't.

As for upsguy72, the old system kept any correspondence for 36 hours and then it was pushed out by more recent messages. The new system retains those messages forever. They can delete it off the screen but not out of the system. Another reason to CYA with clear messages explaining the situation. Ones they can't deny receiving anymore.