Early Start

Rack em

Made the Podium
They usually just leave me alone because they don't want to drive that far to "observe" me.
I got observed twice today lol. I saw him the first time and waved at him so he came and talked to me and said t quit twisting so much. Then because I caught him the first time he figured he would try to be sneakier, but I saw him again because his truck is very noticeable. I waved again and he just drove off lol

35years

Gravy route
We're doing the helper for 2.99 or 3.99 hours thing.....and we're expected to make cutoff.

90 more stops, packed truck as opposed to an open aisle, and helper for under 3 hrs.

They love it when I tell them I'll pick them up at 3 so they can wait all day for a 3 hr paycheck.

I went through 4 helpers last year, they said they were looking at around 8 hrs based on orientation.

I have the helper start at stop 1 and they stay till the very last stop. Even when management says 3.99 max. If they question me about it, I ask them if they would prefer sending a driver to help me later or missed stops...They always cave and say keep the helper.

browner89

I have the helper start at stop 1 and they stay till the very last stop. Even when management says 3.99 max. If they question me about it, I ask them if they would prefer sending a driver to help me later or missed stops...They always cave and say keep the helper.

@FrigidFTSup Serious Q, what looks better on the numbers to justify these types of things, drivers working later at $51/hour or a driver on $34/hr and a helper on ~$10 for the same number of combined hours?

Do helpers make OT after 5 or 8?

A driver working 11hrs with a helper for 4 costs UPS $465 in wages a day, a driver and helper combined working 16 hrs (8/8) costs $352 ($377 if the helper makes OT after 5) in wages.

Now the numbers may need some adjusting, not saying an 8 hour helper can save a driver that many hours but, the numbers are so far off, does it really make a center manager look THAT much better to only allow a helper for such a short amount of time?

Last edited:

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I wish we had an early start. On the contrary, they just informed us that our normal start time of 8:30am is getting pushed back to 9am since they know that preload has no chance of being wrapped by 8:30 anymore. The only other time they did that? Peak season 2013.

That's crazy even for a start of peak Tuesday, is Twilight/Local even done by 11:30? We got kicked out at midnight tonight for Preload coming in, had to shut all the doors and pull trailers and get out of the building as fast as possible for them to setup.
I guess they are finished by then. Not really sure.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I wish we had an early start. On the contrary, they just informed us that our normal start time of 8:30am is getting pushed back to 9am since they know that preload has no chance of being wrapped by 8:30 anymore. The only other time they did that? Peak season 2013.
I get the feeling that this year will make 2013 look like 2014.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
0925 start on Monday, then 40 min drive before I get on area, then get to dump off a cart route......

before I run my air

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
@FrigidFTSup Serious Q, what looks better on the numbers to justify these types of things, drivers working later at $51/hour or a driver on $34/hr and a helper on ~$10 for the same number of combined hours?

Do helpers make OT after 5 or 8?

A driver working 11hrs with a helper for 4 costs UPS $465 in wages a day, a driver and helper combined working 16 hrs (8/8) costs $352 ($377 if the helper makes OT after 5) in wages.

Now the numbers may need some adjusting, not saying an 8 hour helper can save a driver that many hours but, the numbers are so far off, does it really make a center manager look THAT much better to only allow a helper for such a short amount of time?
It actually doesn't really work like that. We are allotted a certain amount of hours. So we might get 12 helper hours a day. What matters when it comes to drivers hours wise isn't the paid day. It's the over allowed. As long as my over allowed is under a certain number of hours for the whole building and nobody had a dispatch under 8, I'm good. Stops per hour and stops per car play a role in it as well. But only complicates the whole thing.

None of our numbers are affected by OT or someone's pay rate. Sorts for instance. I could run a top rate driver or a guy hired yesterday. On the report it all looks the same.

oldngray

nowhere special
It actually doesn't really work like that. We are allotted a certain amount of hours. So we might get 12 helper hours a day. What matters when it comes to drivers hours wise isn't the paid day. It's the over allowed. As long as my over allowed is under a certain number of hours for the whole building and nobody had a dispatch under 8, I'm good. Stops per hour and stops per car play a role in it as well. But only complicates the whole thing.

None of our numbers are affected by OT or someone's pay rate. Sorts for instance. I could run a top rate driver or a guy hired yesterday. On the report it all looks the same.

The helper allowances are terrible and will kill your center over allowed.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Loader here...do we get lunch breaks? I gotta go in at 3 p.m. and will probably be there till 11 p.m. (hopefully). The last few peaks this wasn't an issue, but being a little more health conscious this year, I need to know.
doubt it. I've never gotten a lunch break in all the peaks I've worked. Today we worked midnight to 9:15...I got a 10 min break around 3am.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's crazy even for a start of peak Tuesday, is Twilight/Local even done by 11:30? We got kicked out at midnight tonight for Preload coming in, had to shut all the doors and pull trailers and get out of the building as fast as possible for them to setup.
I was in my building around 11:45pm...local sort was long gone.

BrownBrokeDown

twilight sort aisle here. normal start is 5:15 -6:00 depending on day. normal leave is 9:15-10:15 as I am second lowest seniority on sort aisle. Yesterday start time was 3:30 (got there at 5:15, don't get off first job till 4:30 at earliest) and clocked out at 11:25. Lol, lots of late trailers leaving the dock last night. Todays start time is 4:00.