Easiest peak since the recession

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Of the 18 working days, 3 were miserable for me. And all 3 were Mondays, and 2 of the 3 were from helping others.

Four day weekend for me though.

Merry Christmas all.

youllbefine

Great peak !! Mondays sucked but I can handle that ... 200 stops and punched out at 16:45 today !!!! Merry Xmas all and way togo UPS !!!!

worldwide

Great peak !! Mondays sucked but I can handle that ... 200 stops and punched out at 16:45 today !!!! Merry Xmas all and way togo UPS !!!!

I agree. UPS made mistakes last peak that they promised not to repeat. Looks like UPS upper management made some good decisions and a lot of the suggestions were input from the front lines. Let's hope this trend continues.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nah. The worst is summer peak.....

The worst used to be the month or two or three after Christmas when UPS laid off WAY more than they needed to and those left working still put in long days except that you never knew from one day to the next what added attractions they were going to add to your route each day. Seed season in the spring was always a bitch too. Everybody and their brother had to order seeds and shrubs from the spring Gurney seed catalog.

ups1990

Heaviet peak my building's ever seen. At the PCM this morning....they were saying we broke new volume records for the district this year.
Many drivers here have stated that their peak was relatively light but out here in So Cal, we got slammed this peak. Everyone I know, broke their respective total delivery stop amounts .

numberonedriver

Nor cal got hammered too. 60 hour weeks for me the whole month. Although today wasn't too bad 140 stops 220 miles and punched out at 1945. Merry Christmas

oldngray

nowhere special
The big difference this year was almost no bad weather days. There are usually some delays due to weather but hardly any this year.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The peaks during a recession are far worse. It's the old make due with less. I would make a ton of overtime during recession peaks.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The peaks during a recession are far worse. It's the old make due with less. I would make a ton of overtime during recession peaks.
We hired a lot of drivers at my center a year or two before the great recession. The first year of the great recession we were way over staffed.

Over the next few years 20% of the drivers either quit, moved,retired, or were fired. Zero were replaced.

ups1990

In retrospect, yes, it was very heavy for our centers here locally but it was a controlled chaos if you will. I will give the center manager his proper dues Friday for an overall well managed peak. It's been said, UPS was up more than 10% in peak volume compared to last year, next year will be even more interesting if we see another 10% bump in volume. I just don't see how we could possible handle it using this peaks staffing levels. We need more bodies that actually delivery boxes not just hiring drivers to only shuttle packages to us.

Tough Guy

This is how peak should always be. It's greed that makes it hell.

You could say this is how it should always be, period. Instead of all the route cutting. Imagine if we all got done at decent times year round. If they just put a few more bodies out there.

S

selfcancelsignal

You could say this is how it should always be, period. Instead of all the route cutting. Imagine if we all got done at decent times year round. If they just put a few more bodies out there.
It would seem like they would with new language in the contract pertaining to understaffing. This is UPS though, so I'm not gonna hold my breath.