Easiest route in the Center

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Last info I got from Central States, says, my pension has to be reduced by 15% for my wife to get 1/2 of my reduced pension.

As an aside, many soon to be retirees elect to increase their cash flow in retirement by buying insurance. Many times, a 200 a month insurance policy can increase your pension payout by 300-400 dollars or more.

satellitedriver

But isn't that after you've put in the paperwork for retirement or started the pension?

I'd like to know, too.
My wife will only get 1/2 of my pension, upon my death,if I chose to take a 15% reduction on my pension.
The paperwork needs to be filled out before I kick off.
I need to study more on the fine details, but the gist is, when I die my wife gets @#$%!@ 'd.

upsdude

Teamsters Joint Council 83 allows us to retire at 25 years and any age. Here’s the catch, they will only allow a retiree to buy health insurance for 8 years after retirement. Since Medicaid doesn’t kick in until you’re 65, do the math. While doing the math don’t forget to figure your wife/spouses age if they’re younger than you. In my situation I’m looking at age 61 in order to keep my wife and I covered.

upsdude

I have plenty of seniority, enough to be on a very rural area, I’m not. I like the pace of my route and the exercise keeps me in shape.

150-160, 240-300, 40-50 miles (depends on air), 5 pickups-20 pieces mostly letters. I’m usually off and heading home between 500-615.

browndevil

My wife will only get 1/2 of my pension, upon my death,if I chose to take a 15% reduction on my pension.
The paperwork needs to be filled out before I kick off.
I need to study more on the fine details, but the gist is, when I die my wife gets @#$%!@ 'd.
Is this what is called " survivor's benefit" You take the chance of getting your full pension and upon your death it ends. Or take a less pension and in the event you predecease your spouse the set amount pension remains?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I talked to a driver over the weekend that said he has the easiest route in Minnesota. What is the easiest route you know of?

The easiest route in my Center? Its mine, I signed the bid on it last night for another two years. I have been on it since 1995, its mostly subdivisions. 140-150 mostly DR stops, 10 miles from Center, 100 miles total. Three pickups, 10-15 peices. I start at 8:45 and am usually back at 6PM. I am the forth driver on a seniority list of a little over sixty. The driver above me had bid over into my Center last year with the intent of rolling me off mine, he apparently had a last minute change of heart and didn't want to run an extra 50 stops over what he is doing now. whew........

browniehound

I have a pretty good route if my stop count would stay at the 135 where it should, i usually run around 22 stops an hour so my count is alway 140-150 which sucks. I am usually done around 1700. Today I had 143 my 12 pick ups 55 miles and I was done at 17:15 with my hour 10 I clocked out at 19:06.

Sounds like a nice way to make a good living to me! If you're doing 22/hour, 150 shouldn't be very difficult and you're getting more than 1 hour of OT/day. I could live with that for the rest of my career.

It could be a problem if things change and they want you to do 180.

browniehound

This thread made me think of a question that I would love to get everyone's opinion. What type of route do you think is best for the health and longevity of the driver?

Would it be the residential route of 160-190 stops and 220 delivery pieces or the industial routes that have 40-60 stops (300-400 pieces) and 30 pickups?

I have a driver in my center that swears by the residential routes. He pointed out more than 2 drivers who can no longer parcel after being on an industrial route for many years. This opinion comes from a driver who has been injury and accident free for more than 20 years.

I have to agree with him. Even if you follow the methods every time, those over 70's will eventually kill your back.

I suppose the residential route may hurt the knees more because the in and out of the truck, but I think the back injury is much more serious.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What type of route do you think is best for the health and longevity of the driver?

Would it be the residential route of 160-190 stops and 220 delivery pieces or the industial routes that have 40-60 stops (300-400 pieces) and 30 pickups?

I suppose the residential route may hurt the knees more because the in and out of the truck, but I think the back injury is much more serious.

I started out driving an industrial route where I handled 1000 delivery and pickup pieces a day out of a van. After two hernias, I went residential, and would never go back. I have never seen any 0/70 tape on cell phones, DSLs, and Zappo shoe boxes. The low step, newer package cars are a big improvement over the old ones. I have been in a 1981 POS-800 the last week while my newer P7 is being repaired, its been brutal.

1000 boxes verses 170-180 today? Not a hard decision at all.

Last edited:

browndevil

This thread made me think of a question that I would love to get everyone's opinion. What type of route do you think is best for the health and longevity of the driver?

I have a driver in my center that swears by the residential routes. He pointed out more than 2 drivers who can no longer parcel after being on an industrial route for many years. This opinion comes from a driver who has been injury and accident free for more than 20 years.

I have to agree with him. Even if you follow the methods every time, those over 70's will eventually kill your back.

I have had my route for 12 years now. 99% residential. What sold me on it was the customers and the relationships I have developed over the years. This is my retirement route.
BTW good to see you posting again:happy2:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Definitely a resi route. For one, no need to deal with traffic and waiting for dock space in industrial areas. Actually, I don't mind the ups and downs of running into apartments and your truck, I look at it like medium speed aerobics. Anyway, the key is longevity at this point of my career.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

It all depends on the person. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

You forgot to mention the rural route. 73 stops, 96 pieces. 5 pickups, 5 pieces. 196 miles. I'll take that any day of week, in fact that's exactly what I do :happy-very:.
I cut my teeth on those heavy business routes, I swear I'll never go back to them.

pretender

Sorry if I offended anyone but I still say 30 years is enough time to get your financial life together. I always tell everyone that I wasn't "rich" when I was working at UPS so I really wasn't expecting to be "rich" after retiring. Everyones idea of "rich" is different. I have a friend that could retire but he admits that his lifestyle requires a heavy cash flow (divorced- BIG sports gambler-has to have the latest of everything-rents instead of owns a home) . I don't picture him ever retiring. On the other hand I have another friend that hasn't had a house payment for 15 years-no kids at home- no car payments- paid cash for everthing he owns, but he won't retire either because his wife says he is too young (54). Believe me it is more enjoyable being retired at 53 (when I did) than waiting until your too old to do stuff. All I'm saying is don't work one day more than you have to.:peaceful:

I used to say the same thing--I have 32 years in, but I need to work one more before I am old enough to get insurance (55). However, my 401K and IRAs are down 50%. We have no bills and did have house that was paid for. We built a new one a couple of years ago, and I always thought we could just sell it when we retired. BUT--it has lost 30% of its value. So, I am not saying that I won't retire, but it certainly is not the sure thing I once thought it was...