Easy Christmas....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Peak at my station sucked the big one!! Late leaving the building everyday, 3x the volume than was planned for and not enough trucks (even with the rentals!) or equipment.

We had extended routes leaving out at twice capacity and in one "high falutin" (that's rich to any non-Southerners..lol) there were the 7 normal routes plus 6 help routes that left out 3 days in a row with over 200 stops each. We had dispatch calling people back in without finishing routes because of a massive lack of all equipment....then people wonder why we are so stressed out!

Relax, it was all "planned" that way. I'm guessing there are a few heads hanging by a string in MEM this week. Time for some "left to pursue other interests" announcements by a few sacrificial lambs. Translation: FIRED!

vantexan

Relax, it was all "planned" that way. I'm guessing there are a few heads hanging by a string in MEM this week. Time for some "left to pursue other interests" announcements by a few sacrificial lambs. Translation: FIRED!

I wonder if the door code is changed at HQ whenever a VP gets canned?

LTFedExer

Must have been nice on double time and a half.
It's actually 8 hours of holiday pay and time and a half for actual hours worked.
Peak at my station sucked the big one!! Late leaving the building everyday, 3x the volume than was planned for and not enough trucks (even with the rentals!) or equipment.

We had extended routes leaving out at twice capacity and in one "high falutin" (that's rich to any non-Southerners..lol) there were the 7 normal routes plus 6 help routes that left out 3 days in a row with over 200 stops each. We had dispatch calling people back in without finishing routes because of a massive lack of all equipment....then people wonder why we are so stressed out!
My station hired cartage agents to help with the extended areas. They were stoked they got more help than last year. As for the equipment....well, we could have used more trucks ourselves. A few ( not THAT many) couriers were asked to come in before finishing so the PM can have trucks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's actually 8 hours of holiday pay and time and a half for actual hours worked.

My station hired cartage agents to help with the extended areas. They were stoked they got more help than last year. As for the equipment....well, we could have used more trucks ourselves. A few ( not THAT many) couriers were asked to come in before finishing so the PM can have trucks.

Your station sounds well-managed. Definitely not common.

FedExer267

I dont know about you guys but the last couple days were unreal. I know it traditionally slows down after Christmas but never has it been this lite. The last two days combined would have given me a regular day. Wed I finished at 1030 am and had to sit around and wait for pick ups then yesterday I was done at 945. We do usually slow dowm after Christmas but never have I come in and had a combined 2 days of under 90 stops.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Interesting here at UPS we only had one light day so far. On Wednesday are system was light due to the weather back east. but the other 3 days were business as usual. However on our light days, you are never light. They will always dismantle and combine routes to make sure your route is always profitable. I wonder how this effects your contractors pocket? But in reading how they treat you guys, it has got to make you chuckle.

FedExer267

Alot of chuckling the last couple days because we all know there is no way our contractor made money. I guess thats our Christmas bonus. Karma

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Alot of chuckling the last couple days because we all know there is no way our contractor made money. I guess thats our Christmas bonus. Karma

Yes this is what $10 an hour buys you. It's only natural that you guys feel no remorse or worry about your Contractor's or FDX's fate. At UPS we all for the most part are always concerned with OUR companies fate. We naturally have more invested. This is a flaw that will always eat away at FDX's hopes of really competing with UPS.

FedExer267

We all know FedEx Ground could never hold a candle to UPS. I am pretty sure you guys will be getting back some business after this peak. Customers in general were not happy that we would not wait around for pick ups. When your making 10 bucks a hour with no OT and your on hour 10 thats your time so why wait when you can get in and go home. I have never met anyone who enjoys working for free and according to the labor board we are salaried employees who get paid for 8 hours of work so technically that should be all we are required to work unless they are going to start paying OT.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Hopefully more ground employees open their eyes and see that for the truth that it is. The problem is that FDX and their contractor's like Bbscam have convinced a lot of the drivers that their labor is not worth more than 10 bucks an hour. The reality is that every Ground driver that I have ever spoken with would and will leave Ground as soon as the opportunity arises.

bbsam

Staff member
We all know FedEx Ground could never hold a candle to UPS. I am pretty sure you guys will be getting back some business after this peak. Customers in general were not happy that we would not wait around for pick ups. When your making 10 bucks a hour with no OT and your on hour 10 thats your time so why wait when you can get in and go home. I have never met anyone who enjoys working for free and according to the labor board we are salaried employees who get paid for 8 hours of work so technically that should be all we are required to work unless they are going to start paying OT.
Hmmm. Year after year this point is made and year after year our market share grows.

bbsam

Staff member
Hopefully more ground employees open their eyes and see that for the truth that it is. The problem is that FDX and their contractor's like Bbscam have convinced a lot of the drivers that their labor is not worth more than 10 bucks an hour. The reality is that every Ground driver that I have ever spoken with would and will leave Ground as soon as the opportunity arises.
They can, of course, leave at anytime. My guess is that other companies simply tell them that labor is worth even less. We are WalMart nation. Am I right?

FedExer267

You have to ask yourself if we are technically Ind Contractors then why is it that a FedEx sales rep and FedEX make our PU schedules should that not be up to the Independent business. After we finish delivering and start PU's we are already on hour 8 we have already maxxed out at what we are making that day and why would Sales reps and FedEx care it's not like they are paying us they are just telling us how to do our jobs, our Independent jobs that is.
Futhermore if FedEx was paying me do you think there is anyway in hell that they would have me sit out on route for 4 hours waiting for pickups. They get away with this scam and make billions at it while the so called Independent business's pay all the costs. The ones that suffer are the Men and Women who make them those billions atleast they could do is share the Wealth.

FedExer267

They can, of course, leave at anytime. My guess is that other companies simply tell them that labor is worth even less. We are WalMart nation. Am I right?

Ok bbsam ask yourself this granted the market share is higher however dont you find it odd that the overall cost of shipping something is like a 70 cent diffrence. For that diffrence the over 500,000 UPS Men and Women get a great salary and great benefits. Not to mention overtime and bonuses. UPS is on track to make what over 4 billion in profit this year.
Now look at FedEX we have what 260,000 drivers in this company half of what UPS does and for Express they get 20 year top outs and minium raises. Where at Ground we get third world salaries and have depend on tax payers to provide medical and food stamps for us to live. If we charge like 70 cents less why is it we cant get treated fairly. I am not talking UPS salaries because we all know they do a hell of alot more than we do, but a fair wage. FedEx makes billions to so there is no reason they cant properly reward their frontlines and still make hefty profits. They would ofcourse have to stop stuffing corrupt politicans and Judges pockets to make it work.

bbsam

Staff member
I have no idea. But would you, if offered more somewhere esle, still be at Ground? Of course not. So the simple fact is that others beside the evil Fedex and it's contractors don't see you as all that more valuable either. Or am I missing something?

FedExer267

I have no idea. But would you, if offered more somewhere esle, still be at Ground? Of course not. So the simple fact is that others beside the evil Fedex and it's contractors don't see you as all that more valuable either. Or am I missing something?
Bingo Johnny give the man a prize. FedEx does not treat their Frontlines properly although they are the ones doing the work to keep them high on the hog. Happy employees make a company more profitable treat them fairly and your market share will rise. The others you speak of are not billion dollar dynasties. You truly want to corner any market it starts with happy employees, Happy employees are more productive and feel they have a stake in the company you provide someone with a career and they will make you more sucessful, ask any UPS driver.

bbsam

Staff member
Bingo Johnny give the man a prize. FedEx does not treat their Frontlines properly although they are the ones doing the work to keep them high on the hog. Happy employees make a company more profitable treat them fairly and your market share will rise. The others you speak of are not billion dollar dynasties. You truly want to corner any market it starts with happy employees, Happy employees are more productive and feel they have a stake in the company you provide someone with a career and they will make you more sucessful, ask any UPS driver.
Whoa! Back it up there eager beaver! Walmart not a billion dollar dynasty? Target? Walgreens? Cintas? G&K? Schwanns? Might want to check the market ticker on that. But really you've just stumbled on the secret of using contractors. "You truly want to corner any market...feel they have a stake in the company you provide someone with a career.... And think again before you speak of "Happy employees" and UPS in the same sentence. Don't mistake what a UPS driver will put up with for $30/hr plus bennies with being "happy". And by your own logic, it should be UPS's market share growing and not the other way around.