Easy Peak....But we will pay for it

S

selfcancelsignal

So is all the new language in the contract about hiring new drivers due to understaffing just for peak season?

In our center, it'll be interesting to see how the new drivers are handled, 'cause there are A LOT of 'em. All permanent hires, 4 of which to my understanding are over 20 days into there 30 in 90 qualifying, & that was during peak, + 3 or 4 drivers above them that aren't necessarily gonna be guaranteed driving time now that peak is basically over. There'll either be a lot of drivers layed off, & having to work the preload & local sort to earn a living, or veteran drivers called each morning & asked if they want the day off. Of course they could just work a lot of us for between 8 & 9.5 hours & have safer working conditions like PC's to walk through & etc. (like cutting routes) so we can have decent family time each night, but I'm definitely not gonna hold my breath on those conditions.

Wasn't it funny how Monday's were the busiest days to deliver during this peak season with the advancement of trailers, but normally they hold volume on Mondays & cut routes.?

box_beeyotch

So is all the new language in the contract about hiring new drivers due to understaffing just for peak season?

In our center, it'll be interesting to see how the new drivers are handled, 'cause there are A LOT of 'em. All permanent hires, 4 of which to my understanding are over 20 days into there 30 in 90 qualifying, & that was during peak, + 3 or 4 drivers above them that aren't necessarily gonna be guaranteed driving time now that peak is basically over. There'll either be a lot of drivers layed off, & having to work the preload & local sort to earn a living, or veteran drivers called each morning & asked if they want the day off. Of course they could just work a lot of us for between 8 & 9.5 hours & have safer working conditions like PC's to walk through & etc. (like cutting routes) so we can have decent family time each night, but I'm definitely not gonna hold my breath on those conditions.

Wasn't it funny how Monday's were the busiest days to deliver during this peak season with the advancement of trailers, but normally they hold volume on Mondays & cut routes.?

I'm wondering the same thing, as I am a new full time cover driver as of last April. I already have about 10 other permanent hires below me in seniority, some even being off the street. Curious to see how many actually got their 30 days in before peak.