EBO?

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Re: very sad

mainmast - are you saying that the remaining 700+ to be affected will be primarily admins in BD - even if they will now be located in the new District offices? will it also affect admins in operations (center staff)?

seagull4

Apology

The admins that I work with are extremely professsional.I have worked with many of them and have the upmost respect for what they do. I am aware of one specific Intl admin who has a Master Degree in International Marketing. I am also aware of many admins in B/D ,with Bachelor Degrees,that were let go during a district consolidation last year. With a little training they could have fulfilled the shoe of any supervisor in BD or operations.

RoyalFlush

One of Them

It is very clear that the partnership is dead except for the people at the top. We are about to get rid of 700 managers and who knows how many admins. That did not have to happen. I'm in BD as a supervisor and I was excluded. I"m 55 with 27 years. Many will say that is because my group was not impacted. That is rediculous. If I had left perhaps my slot would have prevented a admin from being let go or we could upgarded a part time supervisor. I came from operations. We have always told nobody is expendable and that we need to spend time in each department so we would not get complacent. Perhaps it would have been time for a operations person to make a lateral move.
Get real,this demononstartes a pattern of a no care attitude about the supervisor ,BD or operations, who have given UPS their all. It was a gift to get a specific group of individuals out of the company to protect their partners. Two units or grade 18's. The excuse of attrition is just another way of saying supervisors will leave because they can not handle the job.The patnershp is dead.
That has clearly been demonstrated.

I don't think it's a gift. It is the end of the career for the people that take the offer. It will also be the forced end of the UPS career for many grade 16s and above, even if they get no deal and can't retire. I think you will see that they will find jobs for the supervisors, therefor there is no need give them a pay off for being eliminated.

UPS could have eliminated all 1800 people without any compensation. This appears to be a fair way to encourage the older, longer years of service managers to retire so that the younger, less years of service people can remain employed.

Many people are not being offered anything, their job is in jeopardy, they don't have to opportunity to retire and the retirement they have banked on getting at 55 will be postponed till much later in life. Those who can retire without losing anything should be thankful. Those who don't retire when eligible are putting the jobs of their younger "partners" at risk.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

It is very clear that the partnership is dead except for the people at the top. We are about to get rid of 700 managers and who knows how many admins. That did not have to happen. I'm in BD as a supervisor and I was excluded. I"m 55 with 27 years. Many will say that is because my group was not impacted. That is rediculous. If I had left perhaps my slot would have prevented a admin from being let go or we could upgarded a part time supervisor. I came from operations. We have always told nobody is expendable and that we need to spend time in each department so we would not get complacent. Perhaps it would have been time for a operations person to make a lateral move.
Get real,this demononstartes a pattern of a no care attitude about the supervisor ,BD or operations, who have given UPS their all. It was a gift to get a specific group of individuals out of the company to protect their partners. Two units or grade 18's. The excuse of attrition is just another way of saying supervisors will leave because they can not handle the job.The patnershp is dead.

You're not making much sense.
You say you are 55. If you want to retire then retire. The SRP offer for you would not be enough to make a difference whether you retire or not. Just work another year and retire and you will be ahead of where you would be if you were included in the SRP and took the offer. Unless you have 35 years in, UPS doubles the penalty if you retire at 55.

Six Sides

This EBO/SRP was offered to all US operations, departments and functions except IS & Louisville. It was offered to all full time management in all operations & departments except the two I stated above. Every level of management except one, “except one” that in it self should turn the red light on.
Then in the (Q&A) it is stated the full time supervisor “combined with normal attrition, would result in a greater reduction of these positions than needed” referring to the entire group 50+. Just how many 54+ supervisors do we have? In my district I count 4 including myself.
Make it fair offer all 54+ management the SRP. At this age your career is over. That is why we all look forward to reaching 55 years of age and retiring from UPS.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!

Mainmast - Yeh, if you are 55 with 27 years of service, then retire. Thats what I am getting from your post - you want out. Then your slot may avoid an admin or part-time sup from being let go.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Re: Really ?

Give me the offer and I will decide. I'm sure it does not include a penalty.

If you are 55, you can request a package from HR without actually commiting to retirement. In that package, you will see a 3% penalty for each year before age 65 imposed (I've seen this from one of the managers in the building. I understand if you have 35 years then it is 3% per year before age 60.
The SRP does not have a penalty, the actual UPS retirement package does.

I'm beginning to doubt you are as you pretend to be. I appear to know more about your retirement benfits than you do and I am no where close to retirement.

Six Sides

Give me the offer and I will decide. I'm sure it does not include a penalty.

A manager in my department who is 57 or 58 got the packet.
This was his offer:
1 years wages
Pro-rated MIP with MIP at 2.0 = MONTHLY SALARY * 2 mip * 33%
Paid off 6 Weeks vacation
He said he was going to take the offer and work until April 30th with no vacation and it would be almost like working until the end of 2011. He said he had only planned to work 1 more year.

Another person I know who is 53 said he was not taking it.
No retirement Medical Insurance provided and his wife did not have insurance as a self-employed consultant was what he said was the reason.

Thats the offer above Mainmast, I would take if it was offered to me, how about you?

Mainmast

BD 2 unit person

In our district ,I am aware of a 55 year old BD person waiving goodbye to his counterpart in operations who took the buyout. You don't think he is upset?
His counterpart came fron BD and was in opertions less then two years. Simply put, a ebo for a combination years of service and age = 80 for all management ,including supervisors,would have been fair.

Six Sides

Re: BD 2 unit person

In our district ,I am aware of a 55 year old BD person waiving goodbye to his counterpart in operations who took the buyout. You don't think he is upset?
His counterpart came fron BD and was in opertions less then two years. Simply put, a ebo for a combination years of service and age = 80 for all management ,including supervisors,would have been fair.

Yes, the rule of 80, many companies use it.

Mainmast

Offer

I would have taken that offer in a heartbeat.It is easy for people to imply I should leave anyway. But the reality is that I am not a two unit person that received double MIP for years. I never sold stock because that was a not what the old guard did. If you did sell stock you would have to explain to the district manager why you did not have faith in the company.How was I to know the market take a dive.

pretzel_man

Again, I really do not understand you logic...

I'm not sure how long you have been with UPS, but I assume its been for a while. When you came on board, you were promised a pension. The company has not taken away any pension you were promised.

So, now the management committee is targeting certain groups to offer a package. Your group is not one of them. Other groups are also not included.

The management committee was not obliged to offer this package. Because you were not in a targeted group, you are crying foul.

Maybe the company should have just done forced seperations. I bet there would be less complaining.

P-Man

Six Sides

If you are 55, you can request a package from HR without actually commiting to retirement. In that package, you will see a 3% penalty for each year before age 65 imposed (I've seen this from one of the managers in the building. I understand if you have 35 years then it is 3% per year before age 60.
The SRP does not have a penalty, the actual UPS retirement package does.

I'm beginning to doubt you are as you pretend to be. I appear to know more about your retirement benfits than you do and I am no where close to retirement.
Go to upsers.com and use the retirement calculator. I had HR do a retirement packet for me and the online calculator was within 50 dollars.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!

Again, I really do not understand you logic...

I'm not sure how long you have been with UPS, but I assume its been for a while. When you came on board, you were promised a pension. The company has not taken away any pension you were promised.

So, now the management committee is targeting certain groups to offer a package. Your group is not one of them. Other groups are also not included.

The management committee was not obliged to offer this package. Because you were not in a targeted group, you are crying foul.

Maybe the company should have just done forced seperations. I bet there would be less complaining.

Excellent point. It is called entitlement. Everyone thinks they are entitled to more. I know 55 year olders with 25+ years of service, hanging around now for months, just waiting to see what they could get. If there weren't rumors of EBO, etc, they would of been long gone.
Take your pension you have been promised and enjoy yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Six Sides

Re: Offer

I would have taken that offer in a heartbeat.It is easy for people to imply I should leave anyway. But the reality is that I am not a two unit person that received double MIP for years. I never sold stock because that was a not what the old guard did. If you did sell stock you would have to explain to the district manager why you did not have faith in the company.How was I to know the market take a dive.

Mainmast, call your district hr manager on Monday and express your concerns about the SPR. You are not alone in the way you feel. The districts are having conference calls to the region and to corporate to review the reaction to this. The more they are informed the better.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Go to upsers.com and use the retirement calculator. I had HR do a retirement packet for me and the online calculator was within 50 dollars.
Same here for me but make sure you go to the second page to see what you really get based on spousal selection. I made that mistake at first.

Note that with each year you work past 55 (with 35 yrs or more of service) your monthly payment goes up 7-8% until you reach 60 and then it flattens out at 2%.
My plan is to stay until I'm 60 so not getting the SRP was okay for me but I may have taken it ... we'll never know.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet

It is very clear that the partnership is dead except for the people at the top. We are about to get rid of 700 managers and who knows how many admins. That did not have to happen.

Dude, consolidating region and district offices means that MOSTLY district managers, ops managers (grade 19) and staff division managers become surplus, along with staff departments that are redundant. Operations people at the 2 unit and 1 unit level are NOT redundant.

I'm in BD as a supervisor and I was excluded. I"m 55 with 27 years. Many will say that is because my group was not impacted. That is rediculous. If I had left perhaps my slot would have prevented a admin from being let go or we could upgarded a part time supervisor.

Like operations, presumably BD at the front line level is NOT redundant. Therefore, that group would NOT be offered a buyout. Presumably, the honchos think you guys actually have a skill set that is worth keeping.

I came from operations. We have always told nobody is expendable and that we need to spend time in each department so we would not get complacent. Perhaps it would have been time for a operations person to make a lateral move.

Get real,this demonstrates a pattern of a no care attitude about the supervisor ,BD or operations, who have given UPS their all. It was a gift to get a specific group of individuals out of the company to protect their partners. Two units or grade 18's. The excuse of attrition is just another way of saying supervisors will leave because they can not handle the job.The patnershp is dead.

One more time: the 18's and above are REDUNDANT in this move of consolidating region and district offices. They are also paid a lot of money, so dumping them makes lots of financial sense.