Ebola spreading in West Africa: What you need to know

wkmac

Tooner,

Drive makes a good point of the survival and thus the mortality rate. In my OP, I linked the CDC's database on Ebola from 1976' to current. There's no argument this current outbreak is larger than previous and thus begs the question, what has changed? Thus why I asked it.

Did the virus mutate which viruses do or was there an environmental change that helped the disease spread? What caused it to explode so to speak?

And no I don't believe it's an act of terrorism or some other nefarious cause. Upstate also makes a good point of not over reacting or becoming hysterical. One can then be driven by the agenda's of others which serve self interests. Right now I would take an observant view and ask critical question and apply critical thinking to all sides of this event.

Everything I've read seems to me that the CDC et al believe the source of Ebola is the consumption of monkey and bat meat, hence the reason the outbreaks of Ebola always begin in a certain area of Africa. Is said meat the environmental change for example?

Ebola has been around nearly 40 years in very favorable conditions in Africa sanitation wise that Drive rightly pointed out. If the disease is so bad as we are led to believe, why hasn't the population in that part of Africa not been all but wiped out? Look at the CDC link I posted that records the number of cases year to year since 1976', location and in some measure cause. Then look at the few cases to occur outside of Africa, the conditions and root source. A number of human exposures outside of Africa were lab exposures when protocols were broken. Yet in all that time, people were traveling in and out of Africa and yet no measurable cases emerged.

As horribly upsetting as the situation in Texas is, especially for those close to it, it will be interesting to watch in the weeks ahead just to see what happens. I'm not convinced based on the disease history in Africa it's some kind of end of the world event but seems we've crossed the Rubicon and will now test that theory.

Regardless of anything else, stay calm because you can't think in hysteria.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
ebola-plane.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tooner,

Drive makes a good point of the survival and thus the mortality rate. In my OP, I linked the CDC's database on Ebola from 1976' to current. There's no argument this current outbreak is larger than previous and thus begs the question, what has changed? Thus why I asked it.

Did the virus mutate which viruses do or was there an environmental change that helped the disease spread? What caused it to explode so to speak?

And no I don't believe it's an act of terrorism or some other nefarious cause. Upstate also makes a good point of not over reacting or becoming hysterical. One can then be driven by the agenda's of others which serve self interests. Right now I would take an observant view and ask critical question and apply critical thinking to all sides of this event.

Everything I've read seems to me that the CDC et al believe the source of Ebola is the consumption of monkey and bat meat, hence the reason the outbreaks of Ebola always begin in a certain area of Africa. Is said meat the environmental change for example?

Ebola has been around nearly 40 years in very favorable conditions in Africa sanitation wise that Drive rightly pointed out. If the disease is so bad as we are led to believe, why hasn't the population in that part of Africa not been all but wiped out? Look at the CDC link I posted that records the number of cases year to year since 1976', location and in some measure cause. Then look at the few cases to occur outside of Africa, the conditions and root source. A number of human exposures outside of Africa were lab exposures when protocols were broken. Yet in all that time, people were traveling in and out of Africa and yet no measurable cases emerged.

As horribly upsetting as the situation in Texas is, especially for those close to it, it will be interesting to watch in the weeks ahead just to see what happens. I'm not convinced based on the disease history in Africa it's some kind of end of the world event but seems we've crossed the Rubicon and will now test that theory.

Regardless of anything else, stay calm because you can't think in hysteria.

I appreciate your concern and info. I will watch and read it all. But for the rest, I am hardly hysterical, I am aware.
I do wonder how a photo journalist got it......If you are taking photos how do you come in contact with bodily fluids?
No I am not wearing a haz mat suit, and I have not bought out the dollar store of their sanitizer, but I will remain vigilant.
Really

moreluck

golden ticket member
I heard that the NBC reporter guy worked with that nurse that came down with the virus and she was flown back to the U.S. right after the doctor was flown back. Maybe he got it from working too close with her.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Drive in drive out did post a comforting article. BUT when our medical facilities dont catch them at first, as with this guy, because we are a whiny, cryey, (yes not a word) society, I can see where health care people skip it.
As for me I NEVER, ever, go to a hospital until I think I am dying. Or I have a bone sticking out somewhere, so I dont go, coz I dont want to be sick, and if I am not sick, I will be around them. Yes I guess I am a wee bit paranoid, Coz I dont wanna get sick.
I absolutely despise being around the sick. Only the contagious sick. Not the sick like cancer, diabetes, I know thats not contagious.
I absolutely hate when people have to tell me how sick they are....explaining their loss of bodlily functions, etc. Coughing to prove it, etc.
I dont want to be that sick. I was that sick in August. I never want to be that sick again. If I am I will just die alone, I wont go to a hospital to get sicker.

If you see me in a hospital I am a hostage.

oldngray

nowhere special
Drive in drive out did post a comforting article. BUT when our medical facilities dont catch them at first, as with this guy, because we are a whiny, cryey, (yes not a word) society, I can see where health care people skip it.
As for me I NEVER, ever, go to a hospital until I think I am dying. Or I have a bone sticking out somewhere, so I dont go, coz I dont want to be sick, and if I am not sick, I will be around them. Yes I guess I am a wee bit paranoid, Coz I dont wanna get sick.
I absolutely despise being around the sick. Only the contagious sick. Not the sick like cancer, diabetes, I know thats not contagious.
I absolutely hate when people have to tell me how sick they are....explaining their loss of bodlily functions, etc. Coughing to prove it, etc.
I dont want to be that sick. I was that sick in August. I never want to be that sick again. If I am I will just die alone, I wont go to a hospital to get sicker.

If you see me in a hospital I am a hostage.

My attitude is if you aren't sick when you go to a hospital you will be by the time you leave.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm that way about hospitals too.....germ central.

Even grocery stores......have you seen those 'rugrats' sucking on those cart handles / Use the wipes provided to wipe the handle and go early when the grocery store is pretty empty.......My two open at 6:00 and I usually go close to that time.

People sneeze, pretend it's like a rattlesnake's rattle and head the opposite direction.

I think it's all 'caution' not paranoia.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
"I bet that if we put out an Ebola virus vaccine tomorrow, half of this country would take it, even though it hasn't killed anyone who hasn't traveled" to the affected countries. "Yet you can't get parents to give their children an HPV vaccine to prevent a virus that kills 4,000 U.S. citizens a year."

click

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm that way about hospitals too.....germ central.

Even grocery stores......have you seen those 'rugrats' sucking on those cart handles / Use the wipes provided to wipe the handle and go early when the grocery store is pretty empty.......My two open at 6:00 and I usually go close to that time.

People sneeze, pretend it's like a rattlesnake's rattle and head the opposite direction.

I think it's all 'caution' not paranoia.

I think its only phoney paranoia caused by watching fox news all day long as background noise.

You must live a horrible existence living your life guided by a cable news channel.

TOS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
"I bet that if we put out an Ebola virus vaccine tomorrow, half of this country would take it, even though it hasn't killed anyone who hasn't traveled" to the affected countries. "Yet you can't get parents to give their children an HPV vaccine to prevent a virus that kills 4,000 U.S. citizens a year."

click
Thanks Jones, I feel a little better.............

wkmac

click

Hmmm!