ECS clerk has to work the sort?

whiskers

Last friday during our PCM my sup says;
"Ok because its a holiday i can't give everyone their guranteed 3 and a half." "If everyone does'nt agree to taking the code-5 and leaving when we are finished, I will have to send someone home, but (employee-1) HAS to work the sort."

I then asked: "Who's working clerk tonite?"

SUP: "Employee 1 is."

ME: "I thought those are two seperate jobs."

SUP: "It is."

That's when a few people on the sort started telling me i should just take what i could get because working a little is better than getting sent home. So i agreed to it.

Why does the ecs clerk "HAVE" to work the sort?

whiskers

You don't have to work the sort--you could have chosen to be the employee who was sent home.

Right, I could have to chosen to go home. However i wanted to work and get my guranteed 3 and a half if at all possible. I understand about the holiday and code-5 thing.

The sup just made it sound like we had 1 too many people working the sort, and without the ECS clerk working we would have been at the right number of people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was your sup going to have you alternate between the sort and your clerk duties or was he going to have the other clerk work past their 3.5 to finish all of the clerk work and have you get your 3.5 on the sort?

It sounds as though your sup was trying to make the best of the situation. Pickup volume was down due to the holiday. I am surprised none of the other metro workers wanted to go home.

whiskers

Was your sup going to have you alternate between the sort and your clerk duties or was he going to have the other clerk work past their 3.5 to finish all of the clerk work and have you get your 3.5 on the sort?

I am not a clerk, but only work on the sort.

The sup said he was only allowed to work a certain number of people, and we were at that number before adding the clerk to the sort... Maybe the clerk is included in this number and i am just unaware of this..

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you showed up for work, you are guaranteed 3.5. I don't care what sup says. The sup can't say after you showed up, that there isn't enough work and someone has to go home.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you showed up for work, you are guaranteed 3.5. I don't care what sup says. The sup can't say after you showed up, that there isn't enough work and someone has to go home.

Are they supposed to operate this way on a wide scale ? No, they should give a courtesy phone call before lowest seniority person shows up. Where is the integrity there?

Of course 90% of Teamsters will not file a grievance being sent home/denied 3.5 hours without notice for being laid off for the day, so yes UPS can and does do it.

iowa boy

Last friday during our PCM my sup says;
"Ok because its a holiday i can't give everyone their guranteed 3 and a half." "If everyone does'nt agree to taking the code-5 and leaving when we are finished, I will have to send someone home, but (employee-1) HAS to work the sort."

I then asked: "Who's working clerk tonite?"

SUP: "Employee 1 is."

ME: "I thought those are two seperate jobs."

SUP: "It is."

That's when a few people on the sort started telling me i should just take what i could get because working a little is better than getting sent home. So i agreed to it.

Why does the ecs clerk "HAVE" to work the sort?

Clerks have to work as directed just like anyone one the sort. The clerk should have made sure to change their job classification when they punched in to be on sort time, not clerk time.

whiskers

Thanks for the replies...

What should i do the next time i show up to work and am told i have to be cut for the day? Do i say i want my 3.5, or what?

packageguy

Thanks for the replies...

What should i do the next time i show up to work and am told i have to be cut for the day? Do i say i want my 3.5, or what?

Yes, if they do not notify you the night before, When you show up for work
the the next day---you are gauranted your hours, period

menotyou

bella amicizia
And, make sure you clock in on clerk status. If you change it, then YOU are changing your status. Do you agree with this change? If so, then clock in as a preloader. If not, stay as is. Paper trails are a good thing. You do have to work as directed to a point. You do have rights.

whiskers

Yesterday i did ask what i could do to get my 3.5. They told me i could sweep out the back of package cars. Today at our PCM I was told that next time i take more than five mins. to sweep out a package i will be disciplined for STEALING TIME! Was also told that many fast-food places are hiring and that i could sign a few papers and UPS would happily let me go.
menotyou i think i just recieved my first bull's eye on my back. I read your post about being told to scrub toilets and made me smile while i was sweeping.

iowa boy

Yesterday i did ask what i could do to get my 3.5. They told me i could sweep out the back of package cars. Today at our PCM I was told that next time i take more than five mins. to sweep out a package i will be disciplined for STEALING TIME! Was also told that many fast-food places are hiring and that i could sign a few papers and UPS would happily let me go.
menotyou i think i just recieved my first bull's eye on my back. I read your post about being told to scrub toilets and made me smile while i was sweeping.

Tell them to train you on how to properly sweep out a package car in five minutes or less. If you haven't been trained on how to do it their way, how can they complain that you took too long. And I hope they didn't threaten you in front of your coworkers as that would be grounds for harassment in my book.

whiskers

Yes sir they did threaten me in front of my coworkers. I did tell them that i want to be trained on how to sweep out trucks, and was told that my mother should have trained me how to sweep.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would be starting a daily dairy Immediately with it backdated describing everything. Today you need to file an art 37 grievance. Include in there everything they have been saying to you. I highly doubt the Division Manager wants a harassment lawsuit in his near future. List in your grievance your co-workers as witnesses. I do not care what your Steward has to say, either. You have a legal right to file a grievance on ANYTHING! It is YOUR grievance, not the unions. They do stand up for you, but it is your document. Anything you want in there, put in there. It would help to print out exactly what occurred, then staple that to your art 37 grievance, and be sure to keep a copy and email a copy to the union to make sure your BA gets it. Do it everyday, if you have to. I, again, don't care if your steward is lazy and doesn't think it would matter. FILE. If, God forbid, you get fired for the ridiculous notion of stealing time, the majority of what an arbitrator looks at is grievance and write-ups. FILE, FILE, FILE!!!!!!!!!! You ONLY have ten calendar days from the incident. FILE!