Educational transfer to Texas (few questions)

anonymous4

I am currently in New England. I have over 5 years in here. I am looking to move to Texas (Austin), on an educational transfer. Questions include, I understand you lose seniority on bidding and need to start over. Vacations carry over (apparently?), but what about pay rate? I have heard you maintain your current pay and others say no. Also, what is current driving time for full-time driving in the Austin, TX hubs? I am attempting to match my current wait while I attend school there. Any contact info for HR there would be appreciated.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
You lose your bidding seniority, but your vacations and hourly rate are figured by your original date. Can't help you with local wait times or phone numbers...

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You're HR dept. will have the contact info in their computers. When you transfer you lose your building seniority but keep you're pay, pension, and benefits. The only caveat would be what's offered in the Texas contracts in those areas. You're vacations "carry over" but you may lose them for this year. Depends on the building but you really shouldn't have an issue with taking them if the hubs large enough. I moved on an educational transfer and that was my experience. Also it was like getting a raise...no state income tax! Good luck!

anonymous4

Good to hear about the pay rate. Also, is there tuition assistance in Austin? I believe grants outweigh and cancel that out in my case but just curious. Last post I can find said the wait for driving was about 4 years. That and the pay rate were priorities as I am within a few years of it here. Curious on the full time waits for driving and combo actually. I can't really get accurate info from my HR about such topics.

Mr Shifter

I've talked with a feeder driver from Austin a while back and discussed seniorty for driving. They said you could be a cover driver after a few years but their aren't a lot of feeder runs so you'll be waiting a lonnnggg time.

Mr Shifter

There is a small hub near seaworld/San Antonio and a center in Bryan. Austin is a lovely town and I kick myself for not transfering years ago.

anonymous4

So one hub in Austin and current drive time is up to 10 years? If someone works at or near these hubs please send me a pm I am trying to get a hold of HR and other employees at these hubs.

calcio56

so i may be moving to San Antonio for my full time job and was wondering if anonymous4 was ever able to get his answers? i'm a pt package handler waiting for my turn to drive. Same as Anonymous4, i'm trying to figure out wait times in other hubs.

All comments are welcome - especially the ones that hurt.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
so i may be moving to San Antonio for my full time job and was wondering if anonymous4 was ever able to get his answers? i'm a pt package handler waiting for my turn to drive. Same as Anonymous4, i'm trying to figure out wait times in other hubs.

Per contract, national transfers are prohibited, except for educational. UPSers describes the process: you submit your educational plans and your manager, HR manager, division manager and labor manager -- in both your incumbent and intended transfer area -- sign off on it. Once approved, you agree to a fence (either 12 or 18 months - I can't remember) in which you must execute your plans and submit proof of progress to corporate, otherwise you agree to a voluntary termination. You retain your company seniority but your building seniority becomes end-tailed. This means that people being hired into the building in which you intend to transfer today will be eligible for FT before you.

**One thing I always add to these threads is that the burden of proof is on you. UPS receives probably thousands of fraudulent transfer requests annually --the reality is that unless you're currently enrolled in school or got accepted into a prestigious college (Harvard, Yale, UCLA, Michigan), the transfer request will go no where. I've seen dozens of transfer requests in my career and only one approved. Most people seek out my advice then argue with me that the contract GUARANTEES them the right -- all they have to do is enroll in community college near their desired location, then drop after the transfer. Just doesn't work that way.

UPSGUY72

You can't transfer you only can transfer if your moving to go to school and are enrolled in a school in the location you want to transfer to. In your case you would have to quit and hope to get rehired at the new building.

Cementups

Box Monkey
ARTICLE 22

Section 6. Part-Time Employee Transfer

Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following conditions:

(a) A part-time opening exists at the desired location.

(b) Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1) year.

(c) Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.

(d) Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.

(e) Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the responsibility of the employee.