Egypt: Hobbes Turned Upside Down

wkmac

Looters and Leviathan

How much of the looting is bona fide grassroots rioting and how much is false-flag activity by the cops? I don't know, and neither do you; in general, whenever you hear the word "looter" on the news, it'll probably be days or more before you can speak with any certainty about what has actually been going on. But government agents are clearly involved with the spree, and it's very possible that they're stoking and spearheading it; defense of person and property, meanwhile, has fallen not just on the Army but on civil society, as neighbors form informal protective associations. If Robb's scenario turns out to be true, Egypt has inverted the Hobbesian story of the state: The police are spreading disorder and the voluntary sector is containing it.

The false flag claims may seem absurd and time may bare that out but for now it seems that on the Egyptian street, this belief has a presence.

Looters broke into national museums destroying some artifacts before the military began guarding the national treasures. Armed men stole ambulances and police cars in the city of Cairo. Some protesters believe that Mubarak released prisoners and “thugs” in order to terrorize the neighborhoods so that residents would demand the President to restore order.

source

Did Mubarak use Saddam Hussein's playbook and empty jails in order to change public perception or feed the chaos to his benefit? Or did the prisoners just take advantage of the situation and just free themselves? Time will tell I guess but interesting in what the Egyptian street thinks!

Also take note that a gov't may come down not because of force of arms but because of mass non-compliance by the public. Is there a lesson to be learned there?

klein

Für Meno :)
If O is smart he will publicly announce to Mubarak that he should let the people decide and hold elections as soon as possible, with the promise he'll step down as soon as a government is elected.
That he should only act as a President in transfer period.

Obama really needs to get the Egyptian people on his side. The US doesn't need, yet, another country of citizens to dislike them.
He really needs to give those demostrating people some courage.

I hope he is wise enough to do so, very soon !

wkmac

Interesting piece Jones. Thanks for posting.

It's a given we know a whole lot less than we know more about this situation. As to who emerges with the ruling power, hard to say but just watching the average folk on the Egyptian street I sure do see a whole lot of normal typical folk not unlike what I see around America. Oh they may have different beliefs and customs but when it comes to everyday livin', they have the same ideals and concerns as we do. For them I hope all the best.

:peaceful:

klein

Für Meno :)
Tensions rise on surging food prices

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Food prices have been rising worldwide, as the cost of raw materials and agricultural products surge, contributing to political unrest around the globe.
In December, international food prices broke an all-time high when they rose 25% for the year, led by rising costs for staples like rice, wheat, and maize, the United Nations reported.

Food inflation in China was recently at 9.6%, while in India it surged a staggering 18%.

"What has happened in Tunisia, is happening right now in Egypt, but also riots in Morocco, Algeria and Pakistan, are related not only to high unemployment rates and to income and wealth inequality, but also to this very sharp rise in food and commodity prices," Roubini said.
In Egypt alone, food prices soared 17% -- in part because of the worldwide surge in commodities prices but also because of local supply imbalances.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Had the news on and I heard one woman screaming that "we suffer" and "Obama should do something". WTH, lady....it's your country....you do something. I think the US needs to keep its nose out of everybody's business .

All $$$$ being sent to foreign countries should be directed to the deficit and help pay it down. Let some other country play Daddy Warbucks for a change.

Where's all that money that Bush & Clinton were soliciting for Haiti?? No one know anything now.:sad-little:

wkmac

And where does the MSNBC Statist Snarkies fall on the situation in Egypt? Well of course they'd oppose a brutal dictator and torturer Right? I mean they opposed Bush with all their might didn't they? Really?

Well consider old "tingle legs!"

Chris Matthews "Mubarak is the George Washington on peace over there!"

And what about the other voice at MSNBC or let's call it what it is, GE propaganda central in one Rachal Maddow?

What hypocrites, they trashed Bush for torture yet when confronted with the hard facts they still back and defend a villian. Just goes to show how some people will support the worst when it's "their man" who holds the gun in the room!

moreluck

golden ticket member
barack-ocarter.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
If, by chance, the Muslim Brotherhood becomes the ruling power in Egypt, how do we stop the U.S. from sending them the 1.3 billion yearly payment???

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If, by chance, the Muslim Brotherhood becomes the ruling power in Egypt, how do we stop the U.S. from sending them the 1.3 billion yearly payment???
There's nothing we can do, we're locked in until we can renegotiate the payment plan, which won't be until 2016.