Electronic Time studys......... anyone had them done yet, we are getting them soon

SWORDFISH

Anyone had electronic time studies done yet. Any advice or experiece w/ it to share. Im just curious and want to know what to expect. Are people losing time,gaining time, or no change on them. Thanks for your responses in advance.

talkwith

Re: Electronic Time studys......... anyone had them done yet, we are getting them soo

Yes, but we don't yet have the results yet. I'm skeptical but hopeful. My route won't be affected unless the surrounding routes max and mins are reduced.

iamhuge

Banned
Re: Electronic Time studys......... anyone had them done yet, we are getting them soo

Anyone had electronic time studies done yet. Any advice or experiece w/ it to share. Im just curious and want to know what to expect. Are people losing time,gaining time, or no change on them. Thanks for your responses in advance.

I am sure that any change will be in favor of the driver. lol. What the hell you think.

yeldarb

I am sure that any change will be in favor of the driver. lol. What the hell you think.

In our building of over 300 drivers, probably about 40% gained time. UPS dragged their feet with the implementation of the virtual time study because of this. The drivers that lost time, were mostly the rural routes with high mileage.

TheDick

My bldg is in the middle of one now. She seems to be interested in the numbers but once she locks in the numbers, corporate can veto them or ignore them. The Mgmnt pers. doing the time study asked for gate codes for those routes that have to go thru locked facilities. Elevators-how many floors, stuff like that. A lot of routes are starting to measure because of cutting routes and 3day rides but atleast a third of them still measure 2 to 3 hrs or over allowed everyday. I love it when the top seniority Center mgr in my Div says to my center manager "I checked google earth and the driveway ends here, see it here on my iphone?", when its acutally another mile up, single lane, no pavement, with a gate. They forget we offer door-to-door service.

SWORDFISH

I hopeful but dont expect anything. Wierd to think people do this by computer when I just had a 3day ride where the supe timed everything I did and they dont use that. That was a true time study but it would have been to much in my favor for UPS to do I think. If your having one done in your center I have been told they measure from the middle of the street to where you stop complete the package, so people that DR packages in there truck and then walk down the driveway and drop off the package you will probably lose time everytime you do that to my understanding.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

In our building of over 300 drivers, probably about 40% gained time. UPS dragged their feet with the implementation of the virtual time study because of this. The drivers that lost time, were mostly the rural routes with high mileage.

yeld,

YOU ARE NUTS! There have been many implementations of the "virtual time study" in the WLA district and the routes are ALL in the HOLE over 2 hrs.

There is NO gain in time and all have suffered a loss in paid day. All the technology in the world and the dispatch/loads/loops are worst than ever.

In your center, you must have 10 cars or less if you want us to believe there was an increase in paid day.

Otherwise, you dont know what you are talking about.

Peace.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I hopeful but dont expect anything. Wierd to think people do this by computer when I just had a 3day ride where the supe timed everything I did and they dont use that. That was a true time study but it would have been to much in my favor for UPS to do I think. If your having one done in your center I have been told they measure from the middle of the street to where you stop complete the package, so people that DR packages in there truck and then walk down the driveway and drop off the package you will probably lose time everytime you do that to my understanding.

So if you sheet pkg on the walk to the porch, select location on the walk back and stop complete diad at the pc door you get like what.....4 feet? How accurate is that?

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy

This E-OJS is a joke. its is UPS's attempt to outsource all the On-car sups to computers and get rid of On-cars. Funny how they embrace it but its going to take their jobs away.

TheDick

I was told the meas. from center of street was a flat meas. Not meas by how far u actually do things per stop. Dunno where we're losing ther meas.

2years2go

\ Graduate member

Each Stop is classified as a building type by the drivers. Each building type is given a time value based on the average time value that was determined for that building type from 1000's of previous time studies of the same building types. On top of the building classification time value they will measure the distance from the middle of the road to the front of each home / address that you go to. This distance is given a time value based on what times were generated walking to those type homes some to front , some to back, some to garage, some to porch. This distance time is added to the building classification time to generate the average allowed time for each stop as it is measured. All the stops are measured in a given unit and then the time is added up and divided by the number of stops to get an average stop allowance for that unit. That average allowance will be given to every future stop in that unit. On top of the stop allowance, there is a package allowance that gives time to select,unload and record each package . On top of all of this there is travel time given. This is based on the average min it takes to drive each mile on the route. Travel takes into consideration the "average" delays, congestion, traffic of specific areas by providing minutes per mile that best fit each route based on it's characteristics.

So it doesn't matter where you record, how fast you walk, how fast you drive, where you deliver to, how many trips you make. The goal is to measure the area not the driver. The measurement determines how much work exists, not how hard the driver is working. It is no longer called a "time study" is is now called 'On road Work Measurement" or ORWM for short. You can have the best methods driver in the world or the poorest methods driver in the world on a route and the measurement will come out the same.

pretzel_man

yeld,

YOU ARE NUTS! There have been many implementations of the "virtual time study" in the WLA district and the routes are ALL in the HOLE over 2 hrs.

There is NO gain in time and all have suffered a loss in paid day. All the technology in the world and the dispatch/loads/loops are worst than ever.

In your center, you must have 10 cars or less if you want us to believe there was an increase in paid day.

Otherwise, you dont know what you are talking about.

Peace.

Across the united states, the average driver gained time....

P-Man

SWORDFISH

Each Stop is classified as a building type by the drivers. Each building type is given a time value based on the average time value that was determined for that building type from 1000's of previous time studies of the same building types. On top of the building classification time value they will measure the distance from the middle of the road to the front of each home / address that you go to. This distance is given a time value based on what times were generated walking to those type homes some to front , some to back, some to garage, some to porch. This distance time is added to the building classification time to generate the average allowed time for each stop as it is measured. All the stops are measured in a given unit and then the time is added up and divided by the number of stops to get an average stop allowance for that unit. That average allowance will be given to every future stop in that unit. On top of the stop allowance, there is a package allowance that gives time to select,unload and record each package . On top of all of this there is travel time given. This is based on the average min it takes to drive each mile on the route. Travel takes into consideration the "average" delays, congestion, traffic of specific areas by providing minutes per mile that best fit each route based on it's characteristics.

So it doesn't matter where you record, how fast you walk, how fast you drive, where you deliver to, how many trips you make. The goal is to measure the area not the driver. The measurement determines how much work exists, not how hard the driver is working. It is no longer called a "time study" is is now called 'On road Work Measurement" or ORWM for short. You can have the best methods driver in the world or the poorest methods driver in the world on a route and the measurement will come out the same.

How do you know all this? I seem to get a diffrent answer from each person I ask. I appreciate the info. This seems to be the most fitting info I have heard.
Our center has most routes under an hr over allowed every day(I think 2 or 3 out of 30 go over 1hr) including mine and I take my lunch and 2 10min breaks, so we must be fortunate to have pretty good allowances. Sounds like I can expect to lose some time. They are supposed to start doing it tommorow. I will have to update whether or not we lose or gain time

SWORDFISH

My bldg is in the middle of one now. She seems to be interested in the numbers but once she locks in the numbers, corporate can veto them or ignore them. The Mgmnt pers. doing the time study asked for gate codes for those routes that have to go thru locked facilities. Elevators-how many floors, stuff like that. A lot of routes are starting to measure because of cutting routes and 3day rides but atleast a third of them still measure 2 to 3 hrs or over allowed everyday. I love it when the top seniority Center mgr in my Div says to my center manager "I checked google earth and the driveway ends here, see it here on my iphone?", when its acutally another mile up, single lane, no pavement, with a gate. They forget we offer door-to-door service.

I know what you mean. I had a pkg that got misdelivered on my route and they had a tracer w/ a google maps picture of where it was delivered. I was looking at it and trying to figure it out. It showed the stop delivered in the middle of a field because it didnt have those roads on the map yet.

yeldarb

Across the united states, the average driver gained time....

P-Man

Thanks for the back up Pman.
Our building has 3 centers, and we all saw the virtual time allowances a while ago before they were implemented, and it took several months for management to put the new allowances in, because a good majority gained time. Some routes gained upwards of an hour. Usually the entire loop gained, or the entire loop lost. But after these were implemented, many drivers who never bonused, were bonusing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

If you are one of the "lucky people" who gained time, try not to lose sight of the fact that as UPS giveth, so too can UPS taketh away.

Enjoy the bonus and the freedom from production harassment, but dont get used to it. Dont develop a sense of entitlement towards it. Dont lose sight of the fact that the individual responsible for your time allowance can change that allowance at any time, for any reason, and your dispatch will be adjusted accordingly.

You have no access to that person. He is absent from the operations that he oversees. He is totally unaccountable for the accuracy of his measurements, and he has no responsibility for making sure that his calculations have any basis in reality. His allowances cannot be verified or disputed or challenged. They are chiseled in stone and they will never be corrected, no matter how wrong they might be proven to be.

If you want to have a successful, long term career as a driver, you need to develop the mental discipline to mentally detach yourself from the concept of "bonus" and "overallowed". Treat them as the random, meaningless numbers that they are. If you can look at yourself in the mirror at night and know in your heart that you busted your ass and gave the company a fair days work, it doesnt matter what the WOR report says the next day.

govols019

You smell that?

If you can look at yourself in the mirror at night and know in your heart that you busted your ass and gave the company a fair days work, it doesnt matter what the WOR report says the next day.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I wonder if you are an overallowed driver that is now a scratch driver after the new time studies if your management team will apologize for harassing you in the past?

brownrod

Truer words have never been spoken.

I wonder if you are an overallowed driver that is now a scratch driver after the new time studies if your management team will apologize for harassing you in the past?

Only if hell freezes over. The driver you speak of will now be ignored and management will pick on some poor driver who used to bonus but now is 1 hour over.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

If you are one of the "lucky people" who gained time, try not to lose sight of the fact that as UPS giveth, so too can UPS taketh away.

Enjoy the bonus and the freedom from production harassment, but dont get used to it. Dont develop a sense of entitlement towards it. Dont lose sight of the fact that the individual responsible for
your time allowance can change that allowance at any time, for any reason, and your dispatch will be adjusted accordingly.

You have no access to that person. He is absent from the operations that he oversees. He is totally unaccountable for the accuracy of his measurements, and he has no responsibility for making sure that his calculations have any basis in reality. His allowances cannot be verified or disputed or challenged. They are chiseled in stone and they will never be corrected, no matter how wrong they might be proven to be.

I had a time study, with a TSO person, two years ago after our center implemented EDD and gained a small amount and saw some small bonus after it was added in. Recently my small bonus has evaporated running the same exact sporh from day to day. Have not seen bonus for months. It costs less to make bonus disappear than it does to be fair and honest. First off, you can legitimize pressuring the driver to perform at an inflated and artificial level. Secondly, when he does, theres no "bonus" because it no longer is attainable using the "new" numbers. Voila! More corporate profit just for being dishonest.