Electronics

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I picked up two high value ($10K each) packages from the UPS Store today. They were big screen TV's that had been packed in a home-made wooden crate. I brought them back to the center and gave them to the PM clerk along with the HV paperwork. She said that there may be an issue with them and asked the center manager to look at them. I met up with them after parking my pkg car and doing my PM turn-in and the center manager told me that electronics are supposed to be shipped in the original carton only and that the UPS Store would have to come and pick these back up. 26 years in and I have never heard of that policy before; in fact, there was another driver getting ready to punch out and I asked him and he had also never heard of that policy. He looked at the crates and we both agreed that they were much more durable than the boxes the TV's came in from the manufacturer.

Is it UPS policy that electronics can only be shipped in the original carton?

CHALLY9TX

Sounds weird. Never heard of that before. I know a guy used to ship laptops in homemade wooden crates. Thought it was smart of him to do that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Original TV boxes are meant to be shipped in pallet style, not individually. How big of a screen warrants $10k valuation?

I also questioned the $10K but knew that UPS would only pay actual value if there were a claim.

I thought about taking a picture but wasn't sure how my center manager would have reacted to that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Sounds like the center manager doesn't want any headaches. I have a feeling the crates will be sitting around a while.

gbpackman29

I picked up two high value ($10K each) packages from the UPS Store today. They were big screen TV's that had been packed in a home-made wooden crate. I brought them back to the center and gave them to the PM clerk along with the HV paperwork. She said that there may be an issue with them and asked the center manager to look at them. I met up with them after parking my pkg car and doing my PM turn-in and the center manager told me that electronics are supposed to be shipped in the original carton only and that the UPS Store would have to come and pick these back up. 26 years in and I have never heard of that policy before; in fact, there was another driver getting ready to punch out and I asked him and he had also never heard of that policy. He looked at the crates and we both agreed that they were much more durable than the boxes the TV's came in from the manufacturer.

Is it UPS policy that electronics can only be shipped in the original carton?

WGAF

T

Turdferguson

UPS does not recommend shipping packages in the factory boxes. Factory boxes do not meet the criteria for individual package shipping they only meet the criteria for palletized shipping.

T

Turdferguson

Close, but UPS training modules specifically state that factory boxes are not to be used for shipping, especially with a hi value package

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
UPS does not recommend shipping packages in the factory boxes. Factory boxes do not meet the criteria for individual package shipping they only meet the criteria for palletized shipping.
We have a shipper who half my deliveries to them are refused damage returns. They ship hundred pound compressors bolted down to a piece of wood and expect that to work. That may work for dock to dock freight shipping but it just doesn't hold up through an individual parcel system. I've tried to tell them this but they seem to think they know everything. I don't know why we even accept them like that.

S

selfcancelsignal

Had a call tag today for 53 pounds from Amazon. It was a TV & the nerdy secretary at this particular business told me it was bent. My 1st & only thought was when are people ever going to realize how stupid it is to order a TV online & have it shipped by a parcel company?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I had a pickup that ships flat screen tv's and they over box the factory box. It increases package strength and makes it harder to identify contents. The only returns are ones that are totally trashed.