Electronics

upschuck

I had a pickup that ships flat screen tv's and they over box the factory box. It increases package strength and makes it harder to identify contents. The only returns are ones that are totally trashed.
Seen Amazon do that too, and those cardboard peanuts.

worldwide

I picked up two high value ($10K each) packages from the UPS Store today. They were big screen TV's that had been packed in a home-made wooden crate. I brought them back to the center and gave them to the PM clerk along with the HV paperwork. She said that there may be an issue with them and asked the center manager to look at them. I met up with them after parking my pkg car and doing my PM turn-in and the center manager told me that electronics are supposed to be shipped in the original carton only and that the UPS Store would have to come and pick these back up. 26 years in and I have never heard of that policy before; in fact, there was another driver getting ready to punch out and I asked him and he had also never heard of that policy. He looked at the crates and we both agreed that they were much more durable than the boxes the TV's came in from the manufacturer.

Is it UPS policy that electronics can only be shipped in the original carton?

UPS Packaging Advisor on ups.com lists exactly how an item should be packaged. Select the item to be shipped, enter the dimensions of the box and the shipping weight and guidelines will be displayed.

Something like a big screen TV should be shipped in the LTL environment. If someone wants to take a chance in the small package environment, the original box should be placed inside another box and it should be surrounded by blown-in foam. Original factory packaging is not designed to be shipped in the small package environment. A wood crate is probably the worst thing to ship a large TV in.