Element of being a good driver, athletic?

ups1990

Perhaps, now I'am just saying perhaps. It seems to me that our best drivers have an element of athleticism. Some drivers are very smooth, almost gracefull(if you will) in the way they perform their duties. From putting on a seat belt while turning the ignition key, stopping the vehicle, opening the bulk head door, then selecting correct package(s). It's one whole smooth action. Most played some kind of sports in high school or even college, thus they bring these skills to driving. Even some of the chubby guys can be athletic.

I, could be wrong.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I would say the best elements of being a good driver:

mental toughness and selective hearing.

just like being a wife, i think :shrug:

No such person

Southern Ct.
Thinking ahead; you know before you get to a stop where you'll park, do I need the hand truck, which way you go out of the elevator, etc. I'm 46 and not the least bit athletic, but I make up for it by knowing what I'm going to do before I do it.

NI1

When you are first starting its all about physical. Once you hit the 10th year or more it becomes more mental

Cementups

Box Monkey
It takes you to long to think of that stuff NSP? I know all the stops i am going to need a handcart before I even leave the building. I can usually look over my EDD one time and recite to you where my whole rooute is going to take me on that particular day. Funny thing is, I can't remember all my 10 pt. commentary and HABITS, etc... to save my life.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Its not all physical. A lot of it is technique. Knowing how to load your handtruck without anything falling off. How to handle an over 70 without getting hurt. I don't know how many of you deliver with a backbelt on but I do everyday, just part of my uniform.

NI1

10 point commentary is not to save your life. You already have that instinct to save yours when you passed your 30 days, you just dont know how to recite it but you are applying it. the 10 point commentary is really to save ups from liability, this way, when you get into an accident they can go back and blame it on you.

NI1

Its not all physical. A lot of it is technique. Knowing how to load your handtruck without anything falling off. How to handle an over 70 without getting hurt. I don't know how many of you deliver with a backbelt on but I do everyday, just part of my uniform.

I totally agree.