Eliminating Driveway Deliveries

Two weeks ago I walked a pkg to a house because of their icy driveway.(about 50 yards) The lady came out screaming "you shouldn't be out here" So I asked why, "There was a bear wandering this morning."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I would rather not use some ones driveway and will continue to follow UPS`s policy about this. I would be pretty pissed off if a 16,000 pound truck used my driveway to turn around. If you use a driveway, you are forced to go in reverse whic is another No-No. Go around the block like they tell you in all the pcm`s.

What do you do on a dead end side street?

upsdude

Is that just like Emergency Condition ?

The “Emergency Conditions” exception would be used (here) for an icy/impassable/flooded etc street. All “Emergency Conditions” or “Consignee Delay” packages go to the ECS clerk when you return to building.

For exceptions, are any of you guys allowed to use “Other Other”? We’re not, Other Other will get you a warning letter in our division.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The “Emergency Conditions” exception would be used (here) for an icy/impassable/flooded etc street. All “Emergency Conditions” or “Consignee Delay” packages go to the ECS clerk when you return to building.

For exceptions, are any of you guys allowed to use “Other Other”? We’re not, Other Other will get you a warning letter in our division.

Other-other is not allowed in my building either.
My question is why is it in the menu then?
Couldn't one of the many "updates" eliminate this option?
Company policy is to treat the symptoms rather than fix the problems.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

We get in trouble if we hit "other other". No way. That's like swearing in front of your grandma. :happy-very:

I never saw the consignee delay button. Not that I ever looked for it. That has never been mentioned in my center. Would be interested if it is even allowed here.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Other-other is not allowed in my building either.
My question is why is it in the menu then?
Couldn't one of the many "updates" eliminate this option?
Company policy is to treat the symptoms rather than fix the problems.

We were told it can probably be used internationally so they leave it in there. Also UPS Freight use diads so it may be an option for them as well.

RozUPS

i was thinking about this topic the other day; as i was puttering around in the country. there are many rural routes that are an honest 9.5hr day but if you did not enter into any private driveways they would literally take 15hours plus. some of these have 10+miles worth of driving on private driveways, im not sure what a mile takes to walk at a "brisk pace" i would guess around 20minutes (carrying pkgs/scan work path etc.) 20minutes X 10miles= 200minutes ~3.4 hrs!

as far as city drivers entering 100ft driveways; i agree its stupid!

How about if you have a 50" tv or irreg to deliver? Will you back into a short driveway? If the driveway is steep will you back up it or use the hand truck from the street ? I had a few nasty driveways to deal with during peak that I walked off initially and then got the currage to drive up them after a while. The package car you have I believe determins how easy it is to turn around in some of these long hilly and windy driveways we encounter.

over9five

Staff member
"Other other" is for us in Massachusetts. It is used to not deliver a package containing alcohol (illegal in Mass).

brown bomber

brown bomber
That’s the exception we’re told to use for dogs, blocked access, or in this case a long unfamiliar driveway. The driveway situation would involve a reasonable concern with access or the walk. For this moment in time our management team gives us a great deal of freedom if we see a possible safety/accident issue.

Note: I’ll walk off a stop in a heartbeat. I’ve been known to deliver an entire apartment complex from one parking spot. Well, 2 spots, park defensively.
suppose you have a delivery with a long driveway along with vicious dogs on the property...sometimes the dogs are out..other times not..am I supposed to start the walk, get 100+ yards from safety (my pkg. car) and risk getting my ass chewed by the Rotts, Sheps, Dobies, or Pitt Bulls on patrol........or just sheet as EC (emergency condition) even if the dogs aren't on patrol.........UPS is setting us up to fail either way

upsdude

suppose you have a delivery with a long driveway along with vicious dogs on the property...sometimes the dogs are out..other times not..am I supposed to start the walk, get 100+ yards from safety (my pkg. car) and risk getting my ass chewed by the Rotts, Sheps, Dobies, or Pitt Bulls on patrol........or just sheet as EC (emergency condition) even if the dogs aren't on patrol.........UPS is setting us up to fail either way

The manager I work for would tell you to sheet that as “Consignee Delay” and hand it to the PM clerk.

outamyway

Drivers side back down the block with the hazards on and beeping the horn as instructed.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If a sup told me to do that I would laugh in his face.

It's discussions about things like this that makes me glad I chose not to be a full time driver. The hypocrisy at UPS is pathetic. Have you ever seen a supervisor drive and deliver packages? Most of the time they don't even practice the methods they are suppose to teach.

I follow the methods 99% of the time but I have never even thought of backing all the way down a dead end street. If you can't back up safely at the end of long dead end street using whatever mean necessary with out hitting something then you shouldn't be driving a big truck. If there is one thing I take my time on more than anything it is backing.