Embassy Attacks

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think Hillary is the big distraction with the movie crap!!

It was an AlQuaeda attack and they tried to diguise it as "movie rage". It happened on 9-11...that's all I needed to hear!!

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The time has come for the US quit being the world police force. Pull our people back home. Leave the world to their own devices and let's concentrate on making our nation well again. Our nation is ailing and we are concentrating so much on other countries that really don't care about the US. They will take our aide and then in almost the same breath try to tear us down. Well let them be without their crutch. Noone in the world would help us if needed. I bet you can count on that.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
How is this an appropriate post?

DUH, lets see, the US embassy in Bengazzi was attacked, the Ambassador was killed, his name was Christopher Stevens, Romney made this issue a political one, in the cartoon, it depicts a gravestone with Christopher Stevens name on it, it also shows Romney placing his bumper sticker on the gravestone as he tries to politicize the issue.

Pretty simple stuff bro.

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I knew rhis would be Bushs fault somehow. But keep that mind closed.

Nobody is blaming BUSH for anything, however, it is absolutely clear that president Obamas handling of this situation is EXACTLY the same as BUSH's handling with the exception that BUSH supported the protesters and today, the GOP is saying that OBAMA is supporting the protesters instead of the first amendment.

Obama has been clear, and so has the state department, yet the GOP wants to politicize this tragedy as if the President has done something so "out of the box" that it boggles the mind.

What the GOP forgets is BUSH condemned the cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad and condemned any blasphamy of other religions, whereas, people here are calling them animals.

Romney and the GOP condemned the State Department for making a statement slamming the movie that triggered these events, yet, the BUSH State department issued the same kind of statement in 2006.

This is called HYPOCRISY.

Thats why BUSH was mentioned in this thread.

Peace

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
Apparently the U.S. can't take a hint.....another embassy (Tunis).

If they all hate us so much, cut the aid and get the hell out of those places.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Jones, as usual you have posted a clear headed, accurate snapshot of what really happened, as far as anyone knows at this point.

There are a few other details that have arisen, as well as the suspicion that at least one of the Libyans working for the Consulate staff may have been coordinating with the terrorists. I doubt most here have a clear view of the situation in Libya. It is a large country, has a new government that is friendly to and grateful for America. It also has a large number of former Gaddifi loyalists, and a radical Salafi presence in the area.

What happened in Libya is not what is happening elsewhere. It is too early to predict what will happen with the other demonstrations. There are a lot of people that would love to see unrest in the region. Some are Salifists, some are Al-qaeda, some call themselves patriotic Americans.

over9five

Staff member
"Once the old regime was toppled, and the new embassy was established in the capitol of Tripoli, it was expected that either the motel-consulate would be closed altogether, or a new building would be acquired or built, but no action had been taken yet."

"No action taken". Doesn't that phrase just scream "Obama Administration"? How many billions of dollars has this administration given the Libyans while FAILING to provide an adequate facility in a dangerous country for our diplomats? Talk about having your priorities a little mixed up. Someone's head should roll for this. Someone didn't do their job, and it costed LIVES.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Apparently the U.S. can't take a hint.....another embassy (Tunis).

If they all hate us so much, cut the aid and get the hell out of those places.

Those people are not the goverment attacking our embassy, they are mobs of young uneducated men. They dont understand how their countries are supported financially by the USA.

They are not that engaged in the operation of their countries. They are opportunist. Its pretty easy to motivate a mob to act crazy when they lack the kind of education to understand world events. Just look at some of these threads.

Peace

TOS

roadrunner2012

Troll
"Once the old regime was toppled, and the new embassy was established in the capitol of Tripoli, it was expected that either the motel-consulate would be closed altogether, or a new building would be acquired or built, but no action had been taken yet."

"No action taken". Doesn't that phrase just scream "Obama Administration"? How many billions of dollars has this administration given the Libyans while FAILING to provide an adequate facility in a dangerous country for our diplomats? Talk about having your priorities a little mixed up. Someone's head should roll for this. Someone didn't do their job, and it costed LIVES.

Do you realize how long the government in Libya has been in existence? They haven't even chosen a Prime Minister, let alone written a constitution. The transitional government just handed power over to the elected assembly a month ago.

over9five

Staff member
Do you realize how long the government in Libya has been in existence? They haven't even chosen a Prime Minister, let alone written a constitution. The transitional government just handed power over to the elected assembly a month ago.
Doesn't matter. Our diplomats should have been better protected, one way or another.

Do you not agree?

roadrunner2012

Troll
Doesn't matter. Our diplomats should have been better protected, one way or another.

Do you not agree?

Perhaps I'm more practical. There is one battalion of Marines in about 150 posts around the world assigned to Embassies and Consulates. I would love it more than you can imagine that every time an American diplomat leave the secure confines of the Embassy in a potentially dangerous location he was in an armored vehicle surround by security equipped with heavy weaponry with a chopper and ambulance on call. That's not reality, though. I know that every effort is made to ensure the safety of our diplomats. Two retired SEALS providing security were killed in Libya. We don't know how many other security forces were on site. Typically security of our diplomats is the responsibility of the host country. Jones' post leads us to believe that many Libyan security people died in the attack as well.

klein

Für Meno :)

Do you not agree?

Well, if Chris Stevens felt any danger (the man that was well liked and even beloved by Libyans), I'm sure he would have requested more guards and security.
You really think the prez can overlook every govermnet institution himself ?

That's like blaming CEO Scott Davis for every UPS accident worldwide, including those that include death.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Really hard to protect when our guys have no ammo !!

Young gov't or old one....their intent is clear
That is a lie, read Jones' post if you don't believe they were armed. Do you really think that two former SEALS hired as Embassy security were not armed?

Libya is not Egypt or Sudan or Yemen or Tunisia. It is a different situation all together.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Well, if Chris Stevens felt any danger (the man that was well liked and even beloved by Libyans), I'm sure he would have requested more guards and security.
You really think the prez can overlook every govermnet institution himself ?

That's like blaming CEO Scott Davis for every UPS accident, including those that include death.
When the pres. is weak, word spreads !!
We should've set them straight!!

over9five

Staff member
Perhaps I'm more practical. There is one battalion of Marines in about 150 posts around the world assigned to Embassies and Consulates. I would love it more than you can imagine that every time an American diplomat leave the secure confines of the Embassy in a potentially dangerous location he was in an armored vehicle surround by security equipped with heavy weaponry with a chopper and ambulance on call. That's not reality, though. I know that every effort is made to ensure the safety of our diplomats. Two retired SEALS providing security were killed in Libya. We don't know how many other security forces were on site. Typically security of our diplomats is the responsibility of the host country. Jones' post leads us to believe that many Libyan security people died in the attack as well.

But as you said in a previous post, there is no Prime Minister and the elected assembly only gained power a month ago. For the Obama administration to trust the lives of our diplomats to a government that has only existed for a month was foolish at the least, but more likely grossly negligent. It is insane to think that putting our diplomatic team in an old hotel with (obviously) inadequate security in a hostile country was somehow OK.
I believe (not sure) that embassy security is the responsibility of the Dept of State. Maybe SoS Clinton needs to take the fall for this one. Someone has to.

roadrunner2012

Troll
But as you said in a previous post, there is no Prime Minister and the elected assembly only gained power a month ago. For the Obama administration to trust the lives of our diplomats to a government that has only existed for a month was foolish at the least, but more likely grossly negligent. It is insane to think that putting our diplomatic team in an old hotel with (obviously) inadequate security in a hostile country was somehow OK.
I believe (not sure) that embassy security is the responsibility of the Dept of State. Maybe SoS Clinton needs to take the fall for this one. Someone has to.

So, your solution is to not support new democracies in an important part of the world, and to increase our military presence in any country in which we have a diplomatic presence?

I would also be interested in how you would prevent terrorist attacks on our citizens overseas, or do we withdraw completely from the world stage?