Employee Relations- ERI

T

tieguy

I will grant you a difference of opinion on semantics but essentially the point is the same. All of like to feel good about what we do.

T

tieguy

Kid,
Interesting that you would think Cheryls new guidelines would not pertain to you. But then you were probably just providing a demonstration of PRIDE AND EGO. I guess we should all feel gratefull.

W

wornoutupser

Our supervisor proudly stood in front of the drivers today and announced that the ERI results had just come in this morning! (haha, they were due out about Oct 6)
Our group came in at 60% favorable overall, worse than last year!
UPS in our area has a major moral problem and a major problem with truthfully reporting missed packages. Even our supervisors are tired of the routine, UPS took away our center manager and now we "share" one that is 45 miles away. This manager is supposed to be here every Wednesday but was a no show again today.
Now management wants to meet with us one on one to discuss the ERI results! (We will not do this, we are a strong union building)
They will not even offer to buy breakfast, rats!
How are the results in other operations??

T

tieguy

If they are trying to meet you one on one they may be trying to get some honest answers with out the crowd mentality / peer pressure being a distraction. I'm not sure what being a strong union building would have to do with talking to managment one on one?

W

wkmac

Meet one on one? You mean the old TL&A!

Tell Lies and Argue!
raspberry.gif

D

dannyboy

If it is the same program that they have for us here, the center manager sits down with you for about an hour or so, and goes over why we have been losing business and what we need to do to get it back. Complete with flip charts. Came from corporate that they wanted them to "teach" each full time employee about the challenges we face.

Pretty much told me what I allready knew, business as usual for UPS will not cut it any more.

Kinda like the Footlocker series that they went through today. Got a 6 mil+ account with footlocker, lady, and kid footlocker. At the first delivery of the day, we scan the barcode at the delivery door, then scan packages. When/if we come by again, like with the ground, we scan the second barcode at the delivery door then scan packages. If you have a third delivery attempt (like in COD's or missloaded) then you have to either have a new diad or have the next driver over to deliver it, as you can not scan either of the barcodes at the back door again on the same day.

FDX screwed this up so we got it. I hope we dont let them down. PKG's = JOBS. More jobs and volume = stronger company = strong stock.

Everybody wins.

Darn, I shoulda wrote that program the center manager had to cover with me. I did it in less than a minute. Savings to UPS 2.5 million.
clapbounce.gif

d

E

ezrider

Wornoutupsr,as much as I can empathize with your situation,your refusal to discuss the matter one on one with the sup is not going to help it go away.I know we were still on the clock for the one on one discussions here.If your boss is willing to pay you for your advice to help solve a problem,what could you possibly have to lose by going in there and speaking your mind?

Nothing against your fellow rank-and-file,but if being a strong union building equates to discouraging drivers from openly discussing problems in the workplace with the boss then I'd be asking for my dues money back and buy my own breakfast.

Don't expect the company to buy you a meal if the managers think that FedEx is eating our lunch.Time for you to get on in that sup's office and clear the air!

D

dammor

Wornout,

I had a long winded message working last night about the importance of union and company working together. Looks like it has already been pointed out to you. Let me just say though that my definition of a strong union member is one that not only knows their rights, but is also willing to work with the company. Like it or not, we are connected at the hip. If one falls the other will go down too. Be brave, go have the one on one, and pretend if you have to that you really can make a difference. Stranger things have happened. One thing is for sure though, if you don't try it will never change.

D

dannyboy

applaud.gif

In 30 years I have seen hourly make a difference.

Unless you really try, you will never know.

d

A

antimatter

Meeting us one-on-one? That hasn't happened out here in YEARS!

To me, the ERI is suspect, however. I know that as a unit we trashed our boss 3 years ago (yes, we were in cahoots) and our manager proudly stood in front of us and announced that the results were "at 85% favorable, the highest ever" for this operation. His statement confirmed what I had always believed.

Too bad... I had hoped to be proven wrong.

A

T

tieguy

I suppose its discouraging to think your in "cahoots" and find out your compadres went in and gave the bosses a good rating. You just can't trust anyone these days......
happy.gif

D

dannyboy

At the risk of stroking an ego........hehehe

AHAHAHA
biggrin.gif

OH GOD My side hurts.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on October 24, 2003)

T

tieguy

Thanks Danny. I'm trying to learn to keep my ego in check. Whenever I do something good I kick my but for it.

A

antimatter

"I suppose its discouraging to think your in "cahoots" and find out your compadres went in and gave the bosses a good rating"

Not a chance. I'm talking about my fellow Feeder Drivers... there are only 40 of us and we are a very tight-knit group. The ERI is a bunch of baloney.

A

D

dammor

"Not a chance. I'm talking about my fellow Feeder Drivers... there are only 40 of us and we are a very tight-knit group. The ERI is a bunch of baloney."

Perhaps the tight-nit 40 of you could make a positive change if that was your mind set. Just try it for a month, or a week, and give it a chance. I have been here a long time also. Granted we have all been pissed off, but some hold it close to the vest way too long. As I have said before, we are connected at the hip. They fall, we fall. Use your strength in a constructive way and see if it can make a difference. Sounds scary, doesn't it?
Dare ya.

M

muncher

Don't all af you know that the ERI survey UPS puts out is a big ball of crap, do you honestly think the tell the true results, they only tell the good stuff to us and the lie about the rest.

D

dannyboy

Well we have not been allowed to see ours yet, something about breaking down our centers numbers from the district and division. But according to then we went from a 54 to a 73 which is a positive step.

Will be interesting to see how it breaks up.

d

T

tieguy

Muncher If thats true I'm glad they did. We were racking up some nice 40's and 50's in one of my operations about 5 years ago. I don't know if my heart or my rear could have stood the company "telling me what the numbers really were"

D

dammor

Mr Munchie,
I can't tell you how fortunate I feel to not be working with you. I just looked at your profile and now know it is a waste of time to argue with you. Keep believing as you do and your life will stay as crappy as you feel it is now. Sorry to all that believe otherwise, but I don't think the ERI is manipulated. I guess it just is really difficult for those with a terminal bad attitude to understand that others have a different one. At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader here,
anonymous.gif
I would suggest we do the best we can and acknowledge that perhaps those in management are trying to do the same.