Employee Survey.

Re-Raise

I would hope that my employees, both men and women, would take the time to answer truthfully.

22 employees. 1 Supervisor. A operation. - That is our, mine and theirs, UPS world 95% of the time. 5 days a week, it is me and them in one operation. And that is our Company. That is what we experience. We don't experience anything outside of the realm except for on occasion, as in any operation. Our employee relations is me and them.

Sure, I get orders from the top. But I would never let my employees get the wrong end of the stick without putting myself in the line of fire first.

Good post. It sounds like you are probably a sort supervisor. The problem with accountability for the ERI results are that some of the questions are about things probably out of the control of the supervisor.

It has been a while but I remember we always scored poorly on questions like "Can you balance your home and work life?"

And " Will my management team act on the results of this survey?"

The answers to both of those questions have already been set by the increased overtime and the cutting of routes that is dictated from above.

Its nothing more than an easy way to make 10 minutes of OT.

10 minutes? It took that long to get the chair adjusted just right. Rookies.

I took it and gave a fair and honest assessment of our mgmt team. I also used the comments section to firebomb the company on it`s reactive stance on safety at our building.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

.....Sure, I get orders from the top. But I would never let my employees get the wrong end of the stick without putting myself in the line of fire first.....Not every supervisor is a puppet. Because my strings are attached to my employees. As are their strings attached to me. And TOGETHER, we try to pull each other through the UPS day.

I dont doubt your sincerity for one moment but it is pretty obvious from reading your post that you are some sort of a part-time or inside operation supervisor.

If you were an on-car supervisor or Center Manager, you would be a puppet. And if you ever did make the mistake of "putting yourself in the line of fire" for your employees...it would be an act of pure futility that would accomplish nothing except getting you immediately fired and replaced with some other facilitator who would find a way to generate whatever metric was being demanded of him regardless of the consequences to safety, service or ethics.

The "partnership" model of UPS management is a thing of the past. Its not about "teamwork" any more. There is no longer any loyalty or recognition of past accomplishments. As a member of UPS management you are only as good as your previous days production and if for whatever reason you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on paper, you become a liability rather than an asset and you will be treated accordingly.

A

anonymous6

+1

The survey is a waste of time because the questions are phrased in a manner that prevents us from accurately expressing our opinions about the day-to-day reality of life at UPS.

on ours we can type in additional comments at the end.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
300 characters?
three hundred character? We only have like 12 and are quite good at making work life a living heck. Good thing we all have another life. LOL
I know what you meant, 300 characters is an improvement, but in no way will suffice for the amount of characters we need. IMO a waste of time, I get enough OT.

undies

Wow, i forgot all about those! I haven't taken one of those since i started driving 5 years ago...interesting.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that, in order for the survey to be more accurate, they should delete the job classifications and replace them with the employee type: kiss ass, under the radar, disgruntled, clueless or Joe Union.

JustTired

free at last.......
The "partnership" model of UPS management is a thing of the past. Its not about "teamwork" any more. There is no longer any loyalty or recognition of past accomplishments. As a member of UPS management you are only as good as your previous days production and if for whatever reason you are no longer able to make your immediate superior look good on paper, you become a liability rather than an asset and you will be treated accordingly.

You give up your "partnership" any time a company goes public. You no longer manage the business together towards a common goal. You manage for maximum profits at any cost because your new "partner" demands it. If they're not happy with the return on their investment....they'll take their money some place else.

The "soul of the company" was sold so that a choice few would benefit greatly at everyone else s expense. What everyone is experiencing is the result of that sale. As long as the company remains public.... it will not change. Everyone (customer and employee) is forced to take a back seat to Wall Street. That's just how it works.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...as opposed to a disgruntled Joe Union?

The "Joe Union" stereotype is one that you repeatedly refer to on this forum.

What exactly is a "Joe Union"? I ask the question seriously because I am trying to understand what you mean by it.

I have a suspicion that I know what you mean, but rather than make ignorant assumptions based upon those suspicions I would rather get some facts so that my understanding is clear.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I can't wait to hear this answer. My Dad was a BA for 30 years, my grandfather started as a carpenter and ended up working for the AFL-CIO.