Enchanted Fedex

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Awwww thee Enchanted Fedex who is Green for the world....This commercial cracks me up.....We all know how true fairy tales are...

FEDEX Enchanted Forest Ad - YouTube

When I first saw this the miniscule number of green vehicles in the FedEx fleet immediately came to mind. I also wondered how a cargo jet could ever be green, even if it burned panda crap for fuel. FedEx has made a very small investment in green technology and then endlessly hyped the "fact" that they are a green company. How green is it to fly pandas all over the world with nothing else in the plane? Nothing could be further from the truth...FedEx is anti green, except for money.

This company is all about phony PR and lies....and pandas. Yep, pandas rock.

code 019 at ur moms

we have precisely two "low" emission diesel trucks at our 80+ vehicle station. the 300% increase in fuel costs at fedex over the last few years is coming out of the wage bill, they're not going to change a thing about the trucks they use or the support infrastructure for them.

hypo hanna

A hypothetical friend of mine who works in a hypothetical fedex express office of about 25 people told me this tale.
To help support paper recycling, instead of utilizing the cardboard boxes the new paper comes in to hold recycled paper, all employees were issued brand new plastic waste cans with neet little recycle symbols printed on the side.
First you get the oil out of the ground. Convert it to plastic. Send it to the manufacturer. Energy to blow mold the plastic. Ship the plastic to the distribution center. Then to the retailer. Then Fedex buys it to save the planet.
To quote Homer Simpson.....

DOH!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been trying to get my center to start recycling. It is amazing how much paper and other recyclable materials we throw away. Our local trash hauleer offers zero sort recycling but when I asked my center manager about it he said that the decision would have to be made at the corporate level.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A hypothetical friend of mine who works in a hypothetical fedex express office of about 25 people told me this tale.
To help support paper recycling, instead of utilizing the cardboard boxes the new paper comes in to hold recycled paper, all employees were issued brand new plastic waste cans with neet little recycle symbols printed on the side.
First you get the oil out of the ground. Convert it to plastic. Send it to the manufacturer. Energy to blow mold the plastic. Ship the plastic to the distribution center. Then to the retailer. Then Fedex buys it to save the planet.
To quote Homer Simpson.....

DOH!

Hypothetically, how many thousands of pounds of pollutants does FedEx spew every day? Who is the second largest user of jet fuel in the world? Why that would be FedEx. And jets are one of the biggest causes of both global warming and destruction of the ozone layer. How many fuel-efficient vehicles are there in our fleet? Not many. How many that are alternatively-fueled? Not many.

Hypothetically, of course, FedEx is lying about being green. They are light years away from being even somewhere on the light spectrum close to green. Surprising? Not really.

STFXG

Their carbon footprint will be significantly reduced with cutting down the number of vehicles on the road. And switching from bread trucks to sprinters. Less jet fuel will be used when all the volume shifts over to ground. New more fuel efficient jets... All seem like a step in the right direction!

vantexan

Hypothetically, how many thousands of pounds of pollutants does FedEx spew every day? Who is the second largest user of jet fuel in the world? Why that would be FedEx. And jets are one of the biggest causes of both global warming and destruction of the ozone layer. How many fuel-efficient vehicles are there in our fleet? Not many. How many that are alternatively-fueled? Not many.

Hypothetically, of course, FedEx is lying about being green. They are light years away from being even somewhere on the light spectrum close to green. Surprising? Not really.

But you can't attack them for not paying you enough and attack them for having a large fleet of jets too. Can't have it both ways. I'm not attacking you, but this argument is fallacious. We work for the world's largest overnight delivery service by choice. That makes us culpable in the polluting. You are literally saying how dare they pollute the planet and where's my paycheck?

vantexan

Their carbon footprint will be significantly reduced with cutting down the number of vehicles on the road. And switching from bread trucks to sprinters. Less jet fuel will be used when all the volume shifts over to ground. New more fuel efficient jets... All seem like a step in the right direction!

Meanwhile China keeps building coal fired electric plants. We can do everything perfect here and in the long run we're still screwed. P.S. We'll never do everything perfect here.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But you can't attack them for not paying you enough and attack them for having a large fleet of jets too. Can't have it both ways. I'm not attacking you, but this argument is fallacious. We work for the world's largest overnight delivery service by choice. That makes us culpable in the polluting. You are literally saying how dare they pollute the planet and where's my paycheck?

Not saying that at all. I don't claim to be green, they claim to be green. I work for them, but they choose the vehicles, the fuel, and the jets..not me. If they had switched to a twin-engine fleet with the rest of the "airline" world, their carbon footprint would have been significantly less.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You seem a little too happy!! Kind of like 59 Dano!!! Just saying!!!

vantexan

Not saying that at all. I don't claim to be green, they claim to be green. I work for them, but they choose the vehicles, the fuel, and the jets..not me. If they had switched to a twin-engine fleet with the rest of the "airline" world, their carbon footprint would have been significantly less.

But if it bothers you, if they are destroying the planet, how can you work for them? I can think of a number of things that concern me about FedEx, but whether they're helping to destroy the planet isn't one.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But if it bothers you, if they are destroying the planet, how can you work for them? I can think of a number of things that concern me about FedEx, but whether they're helping to destroy the planet isn't one.

What bothers me is them saying they are something they're not.

vantexan

What bothers me is them saying they are something they're not.

Well, they ARE known for that in several areas. The commercials are designed to build good will after millions saw a courier wing a tv. But those who know, who are involved in reducing pollution, are well aware of the window dressing. Most people don't stop to think about how deceptive the commercials are. If they thought about it, they'd realize they've never seen a FedEx electric vehicle in their town. They'd realize the magnitude of what it takes to get freight quickly delivered not only in the States but the entire world. Most people don't even care. But the regulatory agencies do know what's up, and FedEx knows they know. That's behind developing new vans, etc. Showing they're making a good faith effort that the gov't can point to to prove they are being good watchdogs. Throw in campaign contributions and corporate jets and you have a dog and pony show that everyone that matters is involved in, not just FedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, they ARE known for that in several areas. The commercials are designed to build good will after millions saw a courier wing a tv. But those who know, who are involved in reducing pollution, are well aware of the window dressing. Most people don't stop to think about how deceptive the commercials are. If they thought about it, they'd realize they've never seen a FedEx electric vehicle in their town. They'd realize the magnitude of what it takes to get freight quickly delivered not only in the States but the entire world. Most people don't even care. But the regulatory agencies do know what's up, and FedEx knows they know. That's behind developing new vans, etc. Showing they're making a good faith effort that the gov't can point to to prove they are being good watchdogs. Throw in campaign contributions and corporate jets and you have a dog and pony show that everyone that matters is involved in, not just FedEx.

Remember the Route 66 Electric Vehicle Dog and Pony Show? What FedEx didn't tell you is that they had several support vehicles along (semis) to carry this rolling turd over the nountains and across deserts because it couldn't make it on it's own. They also tried to pass if off as FedEx R&D when it was really just a commercially-available electric vehicle that anyone could buy. That didn't stop them from hyping-it as if they'd had a team of green researchers slaving over it.

Anyone ever seen one in service? I'm guessing NO.

vantexan

Remember the Route 66 Electric Vehicle Dog and Pony Show? What FedEx didn't tell you is that they had several support vehicles along (semis) to carry this rolling turd over the nountains and across deserts because it couldn't make it on it's own. They also tried to pass if off as FedEx R&D when it was really just a commercially-available electric vehicle that anyone could buy. That didn't stop them from hyping-it as if they'd had a team of green researchers slaving over it.

Anyone ever seen one in service? I'm guessing NO.

Which is why pretty much everything except making profits is B.S.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Oddly enough, Frito Lay has an entire fleet or total electric trucks in my area. They are kind of Prius creepy when they are next to you at a red light, no noise, and then there are all of our dandy, highly maintained, high mileage, heavily vibrating so that you can't see out of the mirrors, trucks. Just sayin...