Encounters with NATURE

gman042

Been around the block a few times
[h=6]So.....second to my last stop last night I am approaching a porch. There are cats EVERYWHERE and so I pay no attention to the 3 black shapes on the porch. The package was heavy and it made a thud when I put it down. Wait a minute! Cats don't have fluffy black tails with white stripes! Skunks.....and I had startled them while eating. I booked it right on out of there with no smelly repercussions

Then......the other day as I am driving a scenic highway, a little brown bear hears me coming. He decided he did not like it on his side of the road and runs full bore across the road in front of me. He was going so fast that he was not prepared for the slight dip at the side of the road and totally biffed it. Real comical.....I wish I would have had it on video.
[/h]

over9five

Staff member
Working nights, I used to take my lunch at a high school, and walk the track. There was enough light from street lights to see pretty good. I was on my third trip around when I saw a black coat beside the track. Funny I didn't notice it the first two trips around....
As I walked over to check it out, the SKUNK started backing away from me, and I quickly turned too!

Also no smelly repercussions.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
There is a herd of deer on my route,and the does have 6 spotted fawns. the fawns will some times wander close to the trick when it's parked. When they get too close one of the does will snort,and the fawns run back to them.

moreluck

golden ticket member
There is a herd of deer on my route,and the does have 6 spotted fawns. the fawns will some times wander close to the trick when it's parked. When they get too close one of the does will snort,and the fawns run back to them.

I wish human kids listened as well as fawns !!

I used to have a route in a rural area; the kind of area where stops are 10 miles apart with 400 yard long driveways. Some of the people even buy golf carts to drive down to the mail box and get their mail. Anyway, driving down one of the country streets, I saw a huge snake crawling across. It turned out to be a rattlesnake, at least 5 or 6 feet long. As the truck approached, the snake curled and began to rattle. I didn't hear it: I felt it. Even over the sound of the engine I could feel that rattle sending a chill down my back. I stopped the truck, and waited for the snake to crawl away. To this day, I can remember the chilling feeling I felt when that snake started to rattle. I'm not phobic about snakes, but that particular encounter really affected me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I found out when I was 3 that skunks look like cats, to you at that age. It was Easter, I was going to church in my new duds. And I remember the firehose like spray from the Momma "cat" to this day 50 yrs later. And I also know at my Daddys old house there is a really nice Easter outfit buried. Thanks Gramma for canned tomato Juice. To this day when I smell skunk, I get nauseous.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Found out Turkeys can fly the other day.

So did a driver in our center this spring !! Flew across the road and went through the windshield. Driver had blood and glass all over him but the turkey flew out of the cab. He's the only driver that got a turkey in the past 2 years.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I hope Soberups doesn't see this thread.
We'd probably have to increase bandwidth!

LOL!

As a matter of fact, I was rolling in to this customers driveway today when I saw what I assumed to be one of those ornamental lawn statues of a 3 point buck deer standing right next to the customers house.

Turns out it wasnt an ornamental lawn statue of a 3 point buck deer!

buck1.jpg

buck2.jpg

buck3.jpg

buck4.jpg

Buck Fifty

Back when I was running Saturday air out of one of the mini vans, I clipped an 8 pt buck in the rear. Pretty much left him with 3 legs. Call UPS first and then the Wildlife People. They came out and shot him. Took UPS two weeks to rule it unavoidable . I still tease my son (the deer hunter) that the buck I killed was better than anything he has. All who are wondering, the mini van had little damage and no late air. And oh yeah, I was OK too.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a group of people on one of our rural routes that uses peacocks and peahens as their guard animals. Vicious buggers.