Encouraging 9.5

undies

I think there is a lot of misinformation and even plain ignorance among a lot of drivers regarding 9.5. I'd love to be able to make some sort of information sheet to give people so that they can see the benefits of opting in. Whether it be more routes put in, more drivers being hired and even just less stress!

What are the rules on something like that? Could I make flyers and pass them out? Put them on people's windshields in the parking lot? Am I being too ambitious here?!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I think there is a lot of misinformation and even plain ignorance among a lot of drivers regarding 9.5. I'd love to be able to make some sort of information sheet to give people so that they can see the benefits of opting in. Whether it be more routes put in, more drivers being hired and even just less stress!

What are the rules on something like that? Could I make flyers and pass them out? Put them on people's windshields in the parking lot? Am I being too ambitious here?!

The best thing to do, would be confer with your Local Union BA.

You would want their advice and involvement of the stewards.

Going rogue.... could present challenges.

-Bug-

Holydriver

What's the point of the list when the company just doles out grievance payments instead of reducing work load?

I'm a cover driver with under 4 years seniority. My center manager recently shut down one of my 9.5 grievances. My steward accepted what the center manager said. I got screwed in the end. Why even try anymore?

barnyard

KTM rider
Plus, plus, if there are hunnerts and hunnerts of grievances filed, the union will know that that is an issue that needs to be addressed in the next contract.

Holydriver

my problem is simple. im under 4 years seniority. i cover, and i rarely cover a route for an entire week. and there are rarely bid routes for me to cover the entire week. as such, im just screwed every day of the week. ive recently read on here that february is a light month. its been one of the worst months for my center for quite some time. its kind of like peak right now. every day managment says we are short drivers for routes, yet they never hire more drivers.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
my problem is simple. im under 4 years seniority. i cover, and i rarely cover a route for an entire week. and there are rarely bid routes for me to cover the entire week. as such, im just screwed every day of the week. ive recently read on here that february is a light month. its been one of the worst months for my center for quite some time. its kind of like peak right now. every day managment says we are short drivers for routes, yet they never hire more drivers.
So what's your point?

8 Hour Day

9.5 protections apply to cover drivers as well. You have to file to get the protections. See your steward.

February is light for packages, but some in mgmt. will tell lower seniority part timers to "go back in building" and not show up in brows, thus creating a false shortage of drivers. Remember, they're concerned with SPORH (as it pertains to the whole center), and not your fair day of work. Ejamukate yourself as to your rights.

If your 9.5 rights aren't being respected, the other option is to quit complaining for a while, but keep filing. Then, when they load your route up especially bad, stay out for 13.8 hours and bring back a few stops as "missed" due to hitting DOT hours limit. This will, of course, bring their wrath, but will also be a line in the sand.

I simply had to suggest this might happen for my 190 stops twice a week to drop to 160 twice a week & 150 the rest of the week...

Holydriver

So what's your point?
my point is this. the OP wants to educate drivers on why the 9.5 list is good. im educating you drivers on where the 9.5 list fails to protect a large percentage of UPS employees. there are a ton of us drivers that get screwed all the time and there is nothing we can do about it. all we can do it get in the truck and go with :censored2: like 120 stops and 200 miles. happens all the time. nothing can be done other than bending over and taking it

8 Hour Day

my point is this. the OP wants to educate drivers on why the 9.5 list is good. im educating you drivers on where the 9.5 list fails to protect a large percentage of UPS employees. there are a ton of us drivers that get screwed all the time and there is nothing we can do about it. all we can do it get in the truck and go with :censored2: like 120 stops and 200 miles. happens all the time. nothing can be done other than bending over and taking it
Slow down... hit the 14 hour mark, bring the packages back.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

No there's a few other things you can do
1. Quit
2. Take the overtime like a man until you get 4 years in
3. Keep wining like a little bitch
I dunno .......

undies

If you have some friendly cover/utility drivers, ask one of them to let you win a bid on a route for 1 week. It may take some persuasive talk but it will be well worth it if you can make it onto the 9.5 list that way. Make sure you keep it on the DL so management doesn't lighten you up on purpose to keep you under!

Future

Victory Ride
We have about 5 PT drivers on my belt ....been driving maybe 5yrs.....They act and sound as if James Casey and Poppa Hoffa are their Relatives .... makes me sick