ENE feeders 3 accidents memo

over9five

Staff member
I think you're confusing me with someone else. Most of my posts are short, and I rarely "speak about the company always in a negative voice".

Troll much?

upsgrunt

Is it luck that you went into an icy driveway, 2 things come to mind 1) Get the big picture, 2) Leave yourself an out........ i do not know the driveway you do so you made the decision to go in, no luck here..... poor decision making

You're right, you don't know. Not one thing about the situation except for what I told you; yet you assume that it was poor decision making. Here's the rest of the details: It was peak day, a rural delivery, and the house is 200 yards off the road. What would you have done? Don't answer that because I'm sure you would have made the proper decision. Whatever the case, don't come on here and pretend to be the Wizard of Oz seeing and knowing everything from behind your curtain.

trickpony1

2 Units;684383......... if you are not happy working for UPS why are you here. My guess and it probably is a good one said:
Over9five is here for the same reason you, me and everyone else is here for......the money and the retirement.
You taking the buy out offer, 2 units? They didn't offer us one.
Last time I checked the classified ads I didn't see any offers for washed out UPS managers. There are, however, jobs for tractor-trailer drivers so, refresh my memory.....who "....can find nothing else"?

deleted9

Over9five is here for the same reason you, me and everyone else is here for......the money and the retirement.
You taking the buy out offer, 2 units? They didn't offer us one.
Last time I checked the classified ads I didn't see any offers for washed out UPS managers. There are, however, jobs for tractor-trailer drivers so, refresh my memory.....who "....can find nothing else"?

Actually, i have been retired for almost 2 years already, worked hard and long and UPS took care of me and my family, they took care of me and my family so well financially that i never have to work again, living the dream, doing, going and buying whatever i want, and my children don't have to work if they don't want to. So don't talk to me about washed out managers.

bluehdmc

Accidents ARE part of the business, I'm sure UPS and many other companies have all kinds of statistics about accidents. X# of drivers with X# of years of experience will have accidents.That's why a lot of trucking companies will only hire drivers with 3 or more years of experience. Other companies like UPS train their own drivers, there is a large shortage of tractor-trailer drivers so to get drivers they have to train them and are usually self insured. I'm sure they have statistics on how many of them have accidents.

How many of those circle of honor drivers had an accident in their early careers? I'm sure some of them will also admit a bit of luck was involved. A few months ago on this forum was a link to a trucking magazine article about feeder on road supervisor training, if I recall correctly the numbers in the article worked out that UPS drivers have about 1/2 as many accidents per 100,000 miles as other trucking companies. So are we safe drivers, yes, but sometimes there are accidents. Just like there are gonna be X# of missorts, etc.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Both the company and union foot the bill for an arbitration..... its 50/50 cost and they are expensive

Here in 705 they split the bill for the sitting arbitrator, that you are correct. But before that the loser was responsible for the cost of the arbitration. Im pretty sure its the same around the country.

Actually, i have been retired for almost 2 years already, worked hard and long and UPS took care of me and my family, they took care of me and my family so well financially that i never have to work again, living the dream, doing, going and buying whatever i want, and my children don't have to work if they don't want to. So don't talk to me about washed out managers.

Wow, selling your soul must pay well.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yes "LUCK" is a big part of it. All the safety traing in the world won't help you if it's not your day to be the lucky one that gets out of a chain collision without a scratch. You can leave all the space cushion you want for that guy in front of you but if the guy behind you is tailgating chances are your "luck" just ran out.

trickpony1

Wow, selling your soul must pay well.

He didn't sell his soul. He hypo'ed it along with his first born child, his wife, his house, his cars and any recycable cans he found along the highway. I get the distinct feeling he is/was one of the multi millionaire managers the company has quit producing.
Were the hourly people ever given the chance to hypo their soul? OOPS! that's right, I forgot......we can't find anything else.

deleted9

He didn't sell his soul. He hypo'ed it along with his first born child, his wife, his house, his cars and any recycable cans he found along the highway. I get the distinct feeling he is/was one of the multi millionaire managers the company has quit producing.
Were the hourly people ever given the chance to hypo their soul? OOPS! that's right, I forgot......we can't find anything else.[/QUOTE

The key word in the above statement is MULTI.......... absolutely love UPS

Dustyroads

About 30 years ago I learned a good lesson about UPS and accidents. I was a new driver, and I had this buddy who had been at ups for 5 years at that time, and I looked up to him as my mentor. Well, it was two days before his 5 year safe driving anniversary. It was a dark night in October, and he was returning to the building, going down a one way street, and as he passed through an intersection, a Mercedes sedan, estimated to be traveling at 75 mph in a 30 mph zone, sped through the intersection, didn't stop at the stop sign and struck my buddy's package car behind the back wheels on the passenger side. The Mercedes driver was ticketed for speeding, failure to yield and driving while intoxicated. Our driver was not cited. UPS charged my buddy with the accident and sent his 5 year gold watch, which was on the center manager's desk, back. UPS, however, also collected a bundle from the insurance of the drunken Mercedes driver for the damage to the package car. Somehow, the Mercedes drunk found out that UPS was "charging" the driver, and used that as a defense in his trial. Of course, whether UPS "charged" their driver meant nothing to the judge, and the guy went to jail.

The lesson I learned, was, there is no fairness in UPS's investigation of an accident. Take care of yourself, drive safe, be on top of your game every second you are behind the wheel, because no one will stand behind you, except the union, if an accident happens.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Both the company and union foot the bill for an arbitration..... its 50/50 cost and they are expensive

hey two bits, the reason it happened in two days is because it was a local hearing. there is no outside cost to the local hearing, thus no real expense to either side.

why is it you try to muddy conversations with dribble that is not related directly to the conversation.

the company fired the driver because the contract allowed them to. the hearing after two days was the actual determination of the firing. which by the post was not upheld. cant speak to back pay, but usually it is given, but not always, depends on the situation. so his work record does not have a termination on it.

glad ups has taken good care of you and your family.

d

deleted9

hey two bits, the reason it happened in two days is because it was a local hearing. there is no outside cost to the local hearing, thus no real expense to either side.

why is it you try to muddy conversations with dribble that is not related directly to the conversation.

the company fired the driver because the contract allowed them to. the hearing after two days was the actual determination of the firing. which by the post was not upheld. cant speak to back pay, but usually it is given, but not always, depends on the situation. so his work record does not have a termination on it.

glad ups has taken good care of you and your family.

d

Nothing muddy here, straight responses, in house hearings in my opinion are a good way to go for both sides, but if you think there is no documentation about the incident or the hearing or the final result. you are kidding yourself. Thanks for your final statement - worked hard kept nose clean, followed instructions, result is good retirement