Entitlement Mentality? Who makes the rules, the employee or the employer?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

In the real world, the employer makes the rules. The employee is paid by the employer to do what the employer wants. If the employee decides they don't like this arrangement, they seek employment elsewhere. The employer is not forced to change the rules or expectations to suit the employee.

I don't understand the entitlement mentality. Can anyone help me understand what entitles the employee (hourly, management, union, non-union) to tell the employer what the rules and expectations should be?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is absolutely nothing that entitles the employee to more than what was agreed upon when they were hired. I will be curious how long before someone brings up "past practice".

over9five

Staff member

In the real world, the employer makes the rules. The employee is paid by the employer to do what the employer wants. If the employee decides they don't like this arrangement, they seek employment elsewhere. The employer is not forced to change the rules or expectations to suit the employee.

I don't understand the entitlement mentality. Can anyone help me understand what entitles the employee (hourly, management, union, non-union) to tell the employer what the rules and expectations should be?

What exactly are you referring to?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The rules are mutually agreed upon for definitive time increments by both company and employee.
I'm not sure what isn't understood?
Entitlement?
All I want is every penny, right, and privilege afforded me per the contract.
Go work at Walmart if you're for taking what your employer wants to give you.

22.34life

in a non union company the company says jump and the worker says how high,but not at a union company.we have a contract to follow and that means both managment and hourly.the problem at ups is that the company does not want to follow the contract,which are the rules the company does not have the right to make up rules as they go that are not contractually agreed upon.so in most cases an hourly is not willing to do something that is not a in the contract and that is ok.now i do see some people at work who try to make up their own contract as they go just like managment this is wrong as well.the bottom line is we all have a contract to follow and that means everybody,ups does not have the right to get up one day and say from now on we are going to do it a different way.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That is a monolithic view.
For Non-Union:
It is productive (and UPS does it) to have an interchange of ideas and expectations so both sides know what is expected and, to that end, UPS does change things based on input.
Having a mass exodus of people from the company could cripple it so it is a good thing and I believe productive.

22.34life

There is absolutely nothing that entitles the employee to more than what was agreed upon when they were hired. I will be curious how long before someone brings up "past practice".
than they have a lot entitled to them,matter of fact they have the entire master contract entitled to them.as far as past practices i have seen grievances won on past practices.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The rules are mutually agreed upon for definitive time increments by both company and employee.
I'm not sure what isn't understood?
Entitlement?
All I want is every penny, right, and privilege afforded me per the contract.
Go work at Walmart if you're for taking what your employer wants to give you.

In the case of the union employee, he may be referring to the Christmas turkey, safe driving and years of service awards, free healthcare and, in some cases, a 401k match. We have lost most of these and many feel "entitled" to them even though they are not mentioned anywhere in the contract.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the case of the union employee, he may be referring to the Christmas turkey, safe driving and years of service awards, free healthcare and, in some cases, a 401k match. We have lost most of these and many feel "entitled" to them even though they are not mentioned anywhere in the contract.

You're backpedaling.
His post specifically refers to rules, expectations, and who makes them.
With that in mind, I stand behind my post.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

What ever the contract stipulates. I'm not saying to be like robots, but the contract is there for everyone, mgmt and hourly alike.
The only things the employee are entitled to are those that are agreed upon in the contract.
+1
True, but even though these things are nice to receive, they shouldn't be looked upon as things that are lost, just things that aren't given to us anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What ever the contract stipulates. I'm not saying to be like robots, but the contract is there for everyone, mgmt and hourly alike.

+1
True, but even though these things are nice to receive, they shouldn't be looked upon as things that are lost, just things that aren't given to us anymore.

...but I think that you would agree that there are many here who feel that they are entitled to these things even though they are not in the contract.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
What exactly are you referring to?

It seems people want to have the best of everything but are not willing to do what the company wants. I understand the union contract entitles union employees to certain items.

Above and beyond that, there are seemingly unlimited expectations upon the company, but as soon as the company makes a request, it is protested.

Some topics that come to mind recently:

the company can't issue a warning letter
the company must allow the truck to idle
the company must allow driver to drive the truck to their choice of a suitable lunch break area
the company can't use time studies
the company can't use telematics
the company can't tell the drivers not to back
the company cant tell the driver what walk path the use
the company must provide a warm work environment
the company must provide 3 point seat belts
the company can't have production standards
the company can't have yard control rules
the company can't require employees to recite lifting, seeing and slip rules

The list could go on indefinitely.

UPS Lifer

I only wish it was this easy! In the real world, there are management and non-management who have entitlement issues. There are unwritten rules. There are rules that are interpreted different ways. Both sides try to put square pegs into round holes.

So the best way to minimize a misunderstanding in discourse is to develop a fluid means of communication between the employee and the employer. We live and work in an ever changing world and we need to recognize this.

A KEY point is that we need each other to be successful. Greed & power will corrupt.
Employees and employers need to have mutual respect, understanding and open, honest and most importantly, regular communication and dialogue. This is how you minimize the entitlement mentality.