Equal "protection" under the hour break policy

Bankrupt

Our senior admitted it's not a policy, it's a "directive" and made us sign a sheet saying we were to follow all directives or face punishment for insubordination.

In my case I just told my manager I'm not going to do it. They've known I would be gone before peak for awhile so I think they just decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
I hope I'm a outta here by peak also. Whether or not I can get affordable insurance through the state exchange will decide my fate. I really hope I can spend the holidays with the family for once.

Sniper

I personally "know" of couriers in other parts of the country, especially on extended routes who are not taking the hour break DIRECTIVE, not D.O.T. policy, (log books). Most of us don't drive over 100 air miles so we are NOT required to log our hours.

I would like to sincerely THANK those managers who have back bone, common sense and are fighting for the employees and customers. They are taking up the "service" issue and explaining that the "directive" is NOT a "one size fits all" situation. Sadly that is NOT the case at our station.

It really sucks to be hung out to dry, run your butt off, drop the outbound and stay out late..night after night.....and it's not even October ...much less peak. I been around 20+ years and this is the worst I have seen it.

And for sure....if the hour break stays....it will in December and the chips can fall where they may. Sad stuff...really disgusted but life goes on.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I hope I'm a outta here by peak also. Whether or not I can get affordable insurance through the state exchange will decide my fate.
but what difference does it make? You can't get affordable insurance through this crap hole anymore either. So what do ya have to lose?

Bankrupt

but what difference does it make? You can't get affordable insurance through this crap hole anymore either. So what do ya have to lose?
Good point, If I can't I will probably just quit and try and get my kids on Medicaid I'm not sure if I'd qualify since I'm an able body adult. The govt doesn't hand out freebies to just anyone do they?

fedupforsure

the only way to beat this break policy is to take your full hr all at once every day . late frt or peak can not affect our taking our hr breaks. let them see how they can run the night shift or staff up enough to get through peak. talk your fellow couriers into doing this every day (esp the early starters whos trucks they depend on for the night rts). This will work but only if we can get all the people to do it all the time no matter what. other wise we will never get rid of the hr break

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
the only way to beat this break policy is to take your full hr all at once every day . late frt or peak can not affect our taking our hr breaks. let them see how they can run the night shift or staff up enough to get through peak. talk your fellow couriers into doing this every day (esp the early starters whos trucks they depend on for the night rts). This will work but only if we can get all the people to do it all the time no matter what. other wise we will never get rid of the hr break

Certain states mandate that you have to have your break within a certain time frame. If you are a courier or RTD, you could use this to your advantage and also comply with the directive/policy. Let's say the aircraft is 3 hours late, and your state says that you need to take your break between hours 3 and 5. It's 0830, or 0930 or whatever (right at the 3 hour mark) and the CTVs or your sort are ready to roll. Oops...got to take that full hour break.