Ethanol Gas / Alternative Fuels - "Off topic"

youllbefine

Yeah comes from corn. Drives up the corn prices and the beef and pork prices. Good for the all the farmers in my state, but bad for people wanting to eat. I have an E 85 Ranger. Used E 85 and got 12 mpg. Use regular gas and get 17 mpg. I live in the corn belt.
You are correct on almost all of that but not all corn is suitable for ethanol the farmers must plant a certain seed to gain what the ethanol producers need and also your miles per gallon will equal out in the end with the price per gallon difference

PT Car Washer

Going to ask about that genetic specific corn for ethanol corn seed. I know about the mpg versus cost per gallon difference. I can do the math. Like I have said I live in the corn belt. I doubt if there is much you can tell me about corn farming.

rod

Retired 22 years
We run E85 in our personal vehicles... Sometimes up to a dollar cheaper. Do you guys even know where ethanol comes from?

E85 is one of the biggest rip offs going. I tried it when I first got my Silverado with the flex fuel engine---- gas mileage when right into the toilet. Never again.

youllbefine

E85 is one of the biggest rip offs going. I tried it when I first got my Silverado with the flex fuel engine---- gas mileage when right into the toilet. Never again.
Right! But the dollar difference in price does off set the mileage difference

youllbefine

Maybe if you can find E85 for a buck a gallon less than real gas but around her it is usually only 35 to 50 cents a gallon cheaper. Not worth it for the loss in mpg.
You are correct I think it needs to be 80 cents different to equal out

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It does wonders,for my lawnmower,generator,and tiller every year. Lots of clogged carburetors and fuel lines.
Look at the gas pump next time,usually says "contains up to 10% ethanol"
Ethanol separates from the gasoline in as little as 30 days which is really bad for small 2-cycle engines and not particular good for any non-Flex engine.
I drive into the next county to fill up my truck and gas containers with NO_ethanol gasoline since Metro Atlanta counties use ethanol gasoline May - October.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Coincidentally, I bought a new gas-powered back-pack leaf blower today (Stihl 600 magnum) and the guy said to only use fresh ethanol gas or regular gas 6 months or less old. So I relayed this thread ideas and he confirmed. He also recommended running the gas out every use unless you planned to use it within 30 days.

BTW - This blower really kicks butt

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
images-4.jpeg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
In Washington, you pretty much have no choice but to use E10 gasoline. A few stations (very few) offer non-oxygenated premium for about a dollar per gallon above E10. The E10 is bad news for any vehicle made before it came along.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I did a search as I remembered there was a thread on gas prices but was unable to find it.

Gas prices have fallen dramatically in my area over the past couple of months. The average is right around $3.50/gal for unleaded. The lowest that I saw yesterday was $3.45/gal. My new pkg car runs on unleaded and even though it is not my money it is nice to save a few $$ when I fill up.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Coincidentally, I bought a new gas-powered back-pack leaf blower today (Stihl 600 magnum) and the guy said to only use fresh ethanol gas or regular gas 6 months or less old. So I relayed this thread ideas and he confirmed. He also recommended running the gas out every use unless you planned to use it within 30 days.

BTW - This blower really kicks butt
The BR600 is a great backpack blower, and will last you many years.
I'm not sure of the newest 4 Mix engines, but the older models required some occasional valve adjustment. I also recommend using the Stihl brand oil mix in that blower, worth the little extra that it costs.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The BR600 is a great backpack blower, and will last you many years.
I'm not sure of the newest 4 Mix engines, but the older models required some occasional valve adjustment. I also recommend using the Stihl brand oil mix in that blower, worth the little extra that it costs.
I bought 12 of the synth oil mix bottles and plan to use it only.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Twelve bottles of oil!!!! You must plan on doing a lot of blowing.
8 acres of hardwoods that all seem to funnel to cared-for-areas.
About a 6 hour job to blow-off with my old Echo - I think I can do it in 3 hours with the new Stihl.