ethics in management

tieguy

Banned
....Expically since the new contract is coming out

As I view your post I have feelings that you still have mothers milk on your lips and are therefore not qualified to judge this company that I have spent 25 year plus serving and building up. I apologize if I have not supplied this harsh message in a fashion that was pleasing to you. I understand your need to have reality spoon fed to you in a fashion that is pallatable. :happy-very:

diesel96

I stand by my points that define me. I am and have always been honest , brutally so at times. If you are looking for a manager who sugercoats things then you will have to look past me.:happy-very:

As I view your post I have feelings that you still have mothers milk on your lips and are therefore not qualified to judge this company that I have spent 25 year plus serving and building up. I apologize if I have not supplied this harsh message in a fashion that was pleasing to you. I understand your need to have reality spoon fed to you in a fashion that is pallatable. :happy-very:

.:)

Simon? Simon Cowell? Is that you?.......Seacrest OUT !....LOL

Got to admit...I also was cringing when I read Adamup's supervisory grammatical masterpiece.

scottVA

Richmond-Air
Ive been with ups for 23 years as a part timer if you can believe that, it has always been management by intimidation, ethics ha. Since they went public its gotten much worse.

The majority of supervisors are scared every day for there job. No one wants to go delivery those who are in delivery are taking inside jobs so quickly management in our building are trying to stop them from being able to bid on those jobs.

Supervisors are no longer required to start at the bottom and learn the business they are just throw them in the meat grinder and most fail. Supervisors are not trained they can't do the job and they can't train anyone to do it.

When a bean counter in atlanta started deceiding how many delivery routes were to be run the company stated going in the wrong direction and its only going to get worse. :angry:

intimidation vs. encouragement
Almost 20 years at ups has taught me a lot about people.
It seems to me that managers that rule with intimidation as opposed to encouragement,will appear effective to the thier peers,but in reality,the disdain of the employees,will far outweigh the positives .I myself,have had both kinds,and I found being a ups driver can be rewarding if your center manager actually listens and cares about your daily problems.
Moreluck mentioned once that one time,she and her hubby,a former center manager now retired,were out driving in thier car one day and they came upon a driver that he used to work with.She said the driver looked chagrined and gave the "hang on" sign,he jumped up quick and closed his bulkhead door,smiled and gave the "thumbs up" sign.NOW Now THATS respect.If I was ever to go into management,I would live by the old addage,You can catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.
I guess Im venting because at our ctr we have a new little Hitler,and I dont like him.I wish he'd stay in his bunker.

DS

Fenderbender
Ive been with ups for 23 years as a part timer if you can believe that, it has always been management by intimidation, ethics ha. Since they went public its gotten much worse.

The majority of supervisors are scared every day for there job. No one wants to go delivery those who are in delivery are taking inside jobs so quickly management in our building are trying to stop them from being able to bid on those jobs.

Supervisors are no longer required to start at the bottom and learn the business they are just throw them in the meat grinder and most fail. Supervisors are not trained they can't do the job and they can't train anyone to do it.

When a bean counter in atlanta started deceiding how many delivery routes were to be run the company stated going in the wrong direction and its only going to get worse. :angry:
Ok if you owned ups how would you fix it?

bigbrownman

Brown on Brown
Supervisors are just like us, at the end of the day all they care about is that they have their jobs. You work as instructed, they work as instructed. The only difference is that as an hourly employee we have the grievance procedures, they don't. If they don't do what their told, they can get fired and replaced with someone else that will do the dirty work. I told one of my bosses I actually like him as a person and would actually hang out with him outside of UPS. But when I'm on the clock, its business as usual, he's the boss I'm the employee...he does his job, I do my job to the best of my ability. All I can say is watch what you say to managers, they are sneaky in documenting information in what they call a Pittsburgh report, don't think that any information they document about you is good either! When I went through my ordeal a little while ago, they had information in their case that was from back when I pre loaded.....that was 11 years ago.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

I see the lack of knowlege and training for preload supervisors as the death of this company. I am experiencing the results of this daily.

tieguy

Banned
Supervisors are just like us, at the end of the day all they care about is that they have their jobs. You work as instructed, they work as instructed. The only difference is that as an hourly employee we have the grievance procedures, they don't.

management has a grievance process available with an independent arbitrator at the end of the process.

I told one of my bosses I actually like him as a person and would actually hang out with him outside of UPS. But when I'm on the clock, its business as usual, he's the boss I'm the employee...he does his job, I do my job to the best of my ability. All I can say is watch what you say to managers, they are sneaky in documenting information in what they call a Pittsburgh report, don't think that any information they document about you is good either! When I went through my ordeal a little while ago, they had information in their case that was from back when I pre loaded.....that was 11 years ago.

Can't use anything older then 9 months unless we are trying to swing an overall work record discharge. Even then I think formal discipline is all that can be used. Not only managers but supervisors also are taught to document talk withs. What tends to happen is supervisor A tells driver he has to take lunch at turnaround if waiting on late loads. three years later driver claims no one ever told him.

bigbrownman

Brown on Brown
Can't use anything older then 9 months unless we are trying to swing an overall work record discharge. Even then I think formal discipline is all that can be used. Not only managers but supervisors also are taught to document talk withs. What tends to happen is supervisor A tells driver he has to take lunch at turnaround if waiting on late loads. three years later driver claims no one ever told him.

Yeah, they were trying to get rid of me for good :)
One thing I taught myself since my ordeal is to document information myself and keep record of all of managements movement pertaining to me. I won't get caught with my pants down again.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ok if you owned ups how would you fix it?
I would pay management based upon years of service rather than level attained. We have management who make excellent on-car sups but who are terrible Division managers. The best managers are the ones who have risen to their level of exellence and stayed there.

hangin455

management has a grievance process available with an independent arbitrator at the end of the process.
Yes they do but god help you if you ever use it. I've known a couple who have and they have no hope of ever getting ahead. They are now singled out as troublemakers.

UPS Lifer

I would pay management based upon years of service rather than level attained. We have management who make excellent on-car sups but who are terrible Division managers. The best managers are the ones who have risen to their level of exellence and stayed there.

A classic book that most folks pursuing management degrees have to read is the "Peter Principle". Simply stated, "In the hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to their level of incompetence". Makes you feel kind of good... huh!

If you can recognize that fact, you may have a better chance at doing your job well. To few of us really recognize it until we are there. .... And the rest of us wonder if we could have been successful at the next level! something to think about!