EVC

DRAisawesome

who on here has been selected as the focus courier for the month of March?

1. What does management do daily?
2. Do you work harder if you are the chosen one?
3. This is friend'd up.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
who on here has been selected as the focus courier for the month of March?

1. What does management do daily?
2. Do you work harder if you are the chosen one?
3. This is friend'd up.

I was a focus courier for months, until my manager finally rode with me and realized the problem wasn't ME, but the numbers.
1. They nag the hell out of you.
2. Nope. I work at the same pace.
3. Don't take it personal. They have to have something to do.

Just keep telling your mgr that you need a check ride so he can show you how to do your job better.

fdxsux

Tell your mgr this feels like "favoritism in the workplace" and it seems like he "doesn't trust you as it relates to your job". SFA is the end of this month.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I was a focus courier for months, until my manager finally rode with me and realized the problem wasn't ME, but the numbers.
1. They nag the hell out of you.
2. Nope. I work at the same pace.
3. Don't take it personal. They have to have something to do.

Just keep telling your mgr that you need a check ride so he can show you how to do your job better.
Most managers couldn't do a full-time route if their lives depended on it, let alone 5 days a week.. They tend to believe anything the engineers put in front of their faces is gospel.

SmithBarney

This right here is all you have to do, ask that you be "shown" the proper way to run your route.
In most cases, it will never happen, and they'll leave you alone.

But if mgr or swing runs it, make sure to note each time they break rules/speed/methods.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But if mgr or swing runs it, make sure to note each time they break rules/speed/methods.

I know a manager who always puts the swing's GAP report in the regular courier's mailbox if the regular courier makes lots of excuses for his performance.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I know a manager who always puts the swing's GAP report in the regular courier's mailbox if the regular courier makes lots of excuses for his performance.
It's called "management by intimidation" and is the trademark of a piss poor manager. Have the balls to discuss work related issues face to face.

59 Dano

It's called "management by intimidation" and is the trademark of a piss poor manager. Have the balls to discuss work related issues face to face.

He discussed the issues face to face in a meeting with both the swing and the courier. He asked the swing how he achieved that performance. The courier was asked if there were any "issues" with the swing's GAP report. The swing was given the opportunity to explain any of those "issues," if any were brought up.

MAKAVELI

He discussed the issues face to face in a meeting with both the swing and the courier. He asked the swing how he achieved that performance. The courier was asked if there were any "issues" with the swing's GAP report. The swing was given the opportunity to explain any of those "issues," if any were brought up.
And exactly what happened to the courier who's numbers were below the swing's?

59 Dano

And exactly what happened to the courier who's numbers were below the swing's?

He didn't have to match the swing's numbers, just achieve 100%.

It's amazing how the process works and I think it should be used more. There's the courier, the swing, and the manager, all in one room. The courier has the opportunity to look at the swing's performance and point out all of the falsification and whatever excuses he relies on to explain why a swing exceeds a goal that is "unreasonable." Face to face, a lot of people don't have the balls to accuse someone else of being a liar.

MAKAVELI

He didn't have to match the swing's numbers, just achieve 100%.

It's amazing how the process works and I think it should be used more. There's the courier, the swing, and the manager, all in one room. The courier has the opportunity to look at the swing's performance and point out all of the falsification and whatever excuses he relies on to explain why a swing exceeds a goal that is "unreasonable." Face to face, a lot of people don't have the balls to accuse someone else of being a liar.
Or, you can simply conduct a check ride. If you as a manager have to rely on a swing as to what is possible on a specific route, then you don't belong in management.

59 Dano

Or, you can simply conduct a check ride. If you as a manager have to rely on a swing as to what is possible on a specific route, then you don't belong in management.

To the contrary -- if a swing can do it, the courier can do it (not that that's the only way to measure performance on a route). The courier has a record of what the swing did, and he has the opportunity question or comment upon anything about the swing's performance that he takes issue with. He also has --right in front of him-- a person who can tell him how to deal with whatever issues on his route are keeping him from making his goal.

You've pointed out to your manager the issues that keep you from making goal. You've had the opportunity to examine the swing's performance and point out instances of falsification or whatever you think isn't kosher. You've gotten the input on how to address whatever is hindering your performance. The knee-jerk reaction to performance is, "My manager can't do my job" and "Tell me how it can be done better." The manager got someone who CAN do your job and tell you how it can be done better.

There isn't much room for excuses at that point.

MAKAVELI

To the contrary -- if a swing can do it, the courier can do it (not that that's the only way to measure performance on a route). The courier has a record of what the swing did, and he has the opportunity question or comment upon anything about the swing's performance that he takes issue with. He also has --right in front of him-- a person who can tell him how to deal with whatever issues on his route are keeping him from making his goal.

You've pointed out to your manager the issues that keep you from making goal. You've had the opportunity to examine the swing's performance and point out instances of falsification or whatever you think isn't kosher. You've gotten the input on how to address whatever is hindering your performance. The knee-jerk reaction to performance is, "My manager can't do my job" and "Tell me how it can be done better." The manager got someone who CAN do your job and tell you how it can be done better.

There isn't much room for excuses at that point.
Like I said give him a check ride if you believe the swing' s numbers are correct. That bs of using someone else's numbers is just intimidation and wouldn't hold any weight in a wrongful termination case.

McFeely

Huge Member
What's with managers being afraid of doing checkrides anyway? IMO, managers should checkride just about every route at a somewhat regular rate, like once every 1-2 years?

I ran an awful route for about 2 years that was a mix of 6 zip codes, 3 PO commit times, 225 square miles of area, and about 180 driving miles a day...99% of the time I did a crazy amount of deliveries with ZERO lates and made it happen and had customers who loved me. I always told the managers that the route was a beast and every single swing driver would consistently tank (like 65%) on it and tell the managers the same thing.

Never once did I get a checkride, so I bid onto a different route. Now that 2 others have quit the company and another driver (20+ year veteran) got fired driving that route, they finally changed it. The only checkride I know of was the guy who got fired on it.

MAKAVELI

What's with managers being afraid of doing checkrides anyway? IMO, managers should checkride just about every route at a somewhat regular rate, like once every 1-2 years?

I ran an awful route for about 2 years that was a mix of 6 zip codes, 3 PO commit times, 225 square miles of area, and about 180 driving miles a day...99% of the time I did a crazy amount of deliveries with ZERO lates and made it happen and had customers who loved me. I always told the managers that the route was a beast and every single swing driver would consistently tank (like 65%) on it and tell the managers the same thing.

Never once did I get a checkride, so I bid onto a different route. Now that 2 others have quit the company and another driver (20+ year veteran) got fired driving that route, they finally changed it. The only checkride I know of was the guy who got fired on it.
They are afraid of check rides because it would show the actual numbers that are possible on a route, often times much lower than the goals put on the courier.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
They are afraid of check rides because it would show the actual numbers that are possible on a route, often times much lower than the goals put on the courier.
Swing drivers are the kryptonite that managers pull out of their ass to belittle and badger couriers with. Customers typically complain about the service and support swings provide in cover. Many swings I know (I was one for 8 years) delight in beating the numbers by running (safety violation), driving during breaks (policy violation), and various other Best Practice violations, aiding and abetting their lazy managers who knowingly allow them to do so.

vantexan

Swing drivers are the kryptonite that managers pull out of their ass to belittle and badger couriers with. Customers typically complain about the service and support swings provide in cover. Many swings I know (I was one for 8 years) delight in beating the numbers by running (safety violation), driving during breaks (policy violation), and various other Best Practice violations, aiding and abetting their lazy managers who knowingly allow them to do so.
Exactly. Knew a swing in Texas who was blowing up everyone's rt he covered. He and mgr were overheard going over how to make the regular couriers look bad. Eventually he ran my route for a week and couldn't match my numbers. Not that I'm that good, it was a huge route with back roads like a spiderweb. If you didn't know them you got behind easily. This really frustrated him as I was about 20 years older than him. He got really nasty up to the day that I refused to work with him unloading cans. Mgr told me to get up there and I told him he could fire me if he wanted to, not working with that guy. That mgr eventually got fired and that swing transferred.