EVC

vantexan

To the contrary -- if a swing can do it, the courier can do it (not that that's the only way to measure performance on a route). The courier has a record of what the swing did, and he has the opportunity question or comment upon anything about the swing's performance that he takes issue with. He also has --right in front of him-- a person who can tell him how to deal with whatever issues on his route are keeping him from making his goal.

You've pointed out to your manager the issues that keep you from making goal. You've had the opportunity to examine the swing's performance and point out instances of falsification or whatever you think isn't kosher. You've gotten the input on how to address whatever is hindering your performance. The knee-jerk reaction to performance is, "My manager can't do my job" and "Tell me how it can be done better." The manager got someone who CAN do your job and tell you how it can be done better.

There isn't much room for excuses at that point.
Another fantasy post about this make believe world where mgr's are just trying to do their job inspite of dishonest couriers who are dragging the company down.

l22

Swing drivers are the kryptonite that managers pull out of their ass to belittle and badger couriers with. Customers typically complain about the service and support swings provide in cover. Many swings I know (I was one for 8 years) delight in beating the numbers by running (safety violation), driving during breaks (policy violation), and various other Best Practice violations, aiding and abetting their lazy managers who knowingly allow them to do so.

Not to mention leaving packages in the front with them. When I was first being trained I rode with 2 different swings who did that... They probably feel the need to do it but if they ever got caught/get in an accident - it will be on them.... I'd rather take the lates and have bigger gaps personally.

l22

The knee-jerk reaction to performance is, "My manager can't do my job" and "Tell me how it can be done better." The manager got someone who CAN do your job and tell you how it can be done better.

No, it's just a report. The manager needs to run the route with the courier in the passenger seat taking notes.. It's not "tell me how to do my job better." It's "show me how to do my job better."

What's with managers being afraid of doing checkrides anyway? IMO, managers should checkride just about every route at a somewhat regular rate, like once every 1-2 years?

I ran an awful route for about 2 years that was a mix of 6 zip codes, 3 PO commit times, 225 square miles of area, and about 180 driving miles a day...99% of the time I did a crazy amount of deliveries with ZERO lates and made it happen and had customers who loved me. I always told the managers that the route was a beast and every single swing driver would consistently tank (like 65%) on it and tell the managers the same thing.

Never once did I get a checkride, so I bid onto a different route. Now that 2 others have quit the company and another driver (20+ year veteran) got fired driving that route, they finally changed it. The only checkride I know of was the guy who got fired on it.
I have a question for you. The routes with that many miles r you driving a 700 or a sprinter ?my sta rts are real close yet really tight . i average 130 del a day zero pick ups ...

dezguy

It's amazing how many times I come back from vacation only to have at least one customer complain to me about "the guy who was doing my route" while I was gone. I've had regs who tell me all the time that the other courier would show up to a pup early and tell the customer the pup had to go then and there or not at all.

McFeely

Huge Member
I have a question for you. The routes with that many miles r you driving a 700 or a sprinter ?my sta rts are real close yet really tight . i average 130 del a day zero pick ups ...

Most of the rural/long distance routes in my STA use a Sprinter or the little Chevy panel vans. On the route that I ran, I started it in a Sprinter then they switched me to one of the Isuzu Reach trucks. The Sprinter was great on the dirt roads for soaking up bumps better, but Sprinters get stuck WAAAAAY easier on muddy/snowy driveways than anything I've driven in my life. I liked the Sprinter better also because it sealed up better. A good half of those 180 miles/day were dirt roads, and in the Isuzu you'd be covered in dust by the end of the day and so was every package in the back.

McFeely

Huge Member
It's amazing how many times I come back from vacation only to have at least one customer complain to me about "the guy who was doing my route" while I was gone.

I used to get that all the time with one swing in my station all the time on all the routes I ran. Customers would say, "Thank God you're here today, that driver yesterday was a bitch!"

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
To the contrary -- if a swing can do it, the courier can do it (not that that's the only way to measure performance on a route). The courier has a record of what the swing did, and he has the opportunity question or comment upon anything about the swing's performance that he takes issue with. He also has --right in front of him-- a person who can tell him how to deal with whatever issues on his route are keeping him from making his goal.

You've pointed out to your manager the issues that keep you from making goal. You've had the opportunity to examine the swing's performance and point out instances of falsification or whatever you think isn't kosher. You've gotten the input on how to address whatever is hindering your performance. The knee-jerk reaction to performance is, "My manager can't do my job" and "Tell me how it can be done better." The manager got someone who CAN do your job and tell you how it can be done better.

There isn't much room for excuses at that point.

Another fantasy post about this make believe world where mgr's are just trying to do their job inspite of dishonest couriers who are dragging the company down.
Dano just doesn't understand the real world. He's been in Fantasyland way too long.

SmithBarney

I used to get that all the time with one swing in my station all the time on all the routes I ran. Customers would say, "Thank God you're here today, that driver yesterday was a bitch!"

Happens every time I go out on holiday...
"where have you been..."
"we really missed you..."
"we saw 5 different drivers all week"
etc etc etc.. at least I know I'm missed.
Then of course the swings covering, say how hard my route is...
I look at the reports for the fun of it, they usually average about 86% on my route.

whenIgetthere

Happens every time I go out on holiday...
"where have you been..."
"we really missed you..."
"we saw 5 different drivers all week"
etc etc etc.. at least I know I'm missed.
Then of course the swings covering, say how hard my route is...
I look at the reports for the fun of it, they usually average about 86% on my route.

Last time I was on vacation, the swing who was scheduled for the route told me he was going to kill the route. When I got back, he told me he was well over 100% each day. They post that in the check in room every week, the best he did was 82%, one day 67%. Was good for a laugh. And I don't consider my route tough at all, but the other swings say it's confusing.

dex 84

It's amazing how many times I come back from vacation only to have at least one customer complain to me about "the guy who was doing my route" while I was gone. I've had regs who tell me all the time that the other courier would show up to a pup early and tell the customer the pup had to go then and there or not at all.

The customer sometimes has their own definition of what early is. If your window is from 3 to 4, I don't care if you're used to getting picked up right before you close, if I have to come at 3, I'll come at 3. That's what windows are for.

Not that this is necessarily what's happening in your case, just something that bugs me when i cover a route where the regular driver has little arrangements with his customers.

dezguy

The customer sometimes has their own definition of what early is. If your window is from 3 to 4, I don't care if you're used to getting picked up right before you close, if I have to come at 3, I'll come at 3. That's what windows are for.

Not that this is necessarily what's happening in your case, just something that bugs me when i cover a route where the regular driver has little arrangements with his customers.
If it is in the pickup window, it's fair game. I'm talking about rolling in a half hour before the pickup window even opens and telling the customer either it goes now or not at all.

dex 84

If it is in the pickup window, it's fair game. I'm talking about rolling in a half hour before the pickup window even opens and telling the customer either it goes now or not at all.

Yeah you can't do that. I'm surprised they can even get away with running the route like that. Although nothing should surprise me...

whenIgetthere

Yeah you can't do that. I'm surprised they can even get away with running the route like that. Although nothing should surprise me...

When I was a swing, I covered a pretty tough pick up route. Not a lot of area, but mostly bulk pups. There were a lot of 1600 to 1700 windows. After a new guy took it over, covered it one night and most of the pick up windows had changed 15 or 30 minutes earlier, or the same later. Come to find out, the new guy got them changed on his own without checking with the customers first. That got him a few unpaid days off.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That bs of using someone else's numbers is just intimidation and wouldn't hold any weight in a wrongful termination case.

For one, it's not BS. The numbers demonstrate that a specific level of performance is consistently attainable on a route. They are not (supposed) to be adjusted to accommodatethe level of non-effort some couriers are willing to put forth.

For two, yes they would hold weight.

For three, it's not like anyone ever gets fired for performance anyway.

59 Dano

Swing drivers are the kryptonite that managers pull out of their ass to belittle and badger couriers with. Customers typically complain about the service and support swings provide in cover. Many swings I know (I was one for 8 years) delight in beating the numbers by running (safety violation), driving during breaks (policy violation), and various other Best Practice violations, aiding and abetting their lazy managers who knowingly allow them to do so.

The mantra of the underachiever, blatantly false, always repeated.

59 Dano

No, it's just a report. The manager needs to run the route with the courier in the passenger seat taking notes.. It's not "tell me how to do my job better." It's "show me how to do my job better."

You can ride with the swing and take notes. Win-win.

59 Dano

How 'bout those couriers who never train their customers that a 1700 RDY means 1700? "The regular guy don't come by until about 1750!!! You're too early!!!"