Ever been paid too much?

Nimnim

The Nim
Subject kinda says it all, but I'll tell you where it's coming from.

I checked my ops report today and it showed me as working about 30 minutes more than I actually worked on Thursday, putting me into overtime. Turns out my FT didn't notice I wasn't actually working since I normally do wrap up work and when he saw me much later when I was leaving the building he thought I had been working.

Felt so strange telling a supervisor that my time was wrong, and not because I was shorted.

upsgrunt

Honesty is the best policy. By bringing this to the supes attention, an error in their favor, it will only increase your credibility in their eyes.

Nimnim

The Nim
Honesty is the best policy. By bringing this to the supes attention, an error in their favor, it will only increase your credibility in their eyes.

Well my honesty will only go so far as my memory. I told them if I forget about it on Monday and it's not fixed I won't be bringing in my paycheck and asking for a new one without the time on it.

UPSGUY72

Subject kinda says it all, but I'll tell you where it's coming from.

I checked my ops report today and it showed me as working about 30 minutes more than I actually worked on Thursday, putting me into overtime. Turns out my FT didn't notice I wasn't actually working since I normally do wrap up work and when he saw me much later when I was leaving the building he thought I had been working.

Felt so strange telling a supervisor that my time was wrong, and not because I was shorted.

Why would you be hanging aroung the building after work if your not working? I know that once I'm done and punched out I don't hang around the building.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have guys that file 9.5 grievances yet hang around the building for half an hour when they get back. If you want to be off the clock, then go the hell home.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
An error is an error, and it needs to be corrected no matter whom it benefits.

To knowingly remain silent about a timecard error that benefits you is no different from theft.

Re-Raise

Years ago I recieved a check for a week of vacation I supposedly didn't take.

Another driver also got one. We both thought it was a mistake so rather than take the check we went to management.

It was the year before we were both supposed to get another week's vacation so we thought that must be the mix-up.

We called payroll with our managemnet team and they found mine was a mistake but his was right.

I am still glad that I told them. I have made over a million working for UPS and probably make close to a million more before I retire.

Why would I try to get a grand I didn't deserve?

rod

Retired 22 years
It's not really "paid" too much but I do know a driver that got a 20 year safe driving award 2 years in a row. 20 year awards were some pretty nice stuff. The 2nd time the center manager asked him to choose a 20 year award he told him that he had received the award the previous year. The center manager said he didn't know what the mixup was and to go ahead and order another one. He did. I think the center manager had too many irons in the fire and didn't want to deal with it.

brownrod

Yes.

One time I worked portion of a day knowing it would be a "code 5" paid actual with no 8 hour guarantee. I worked for a few hours and went home. I ended up getting paid for my full 8 hours. I told the center manager about it but I don't think he cared enough to change it. I got the extra money and never heard a word about it.

I also once got 3 weeks of pt vacation paid out as driver wage. center manager didn't care. But no one really knew if it was a mistake or the correct way to do it. I was PT and had 3 weeks of vacation scheduled. I then became a FT driver. And my vacation was then cashed out at my new FT wage.

Kae3106

An error is an error, and it needs to be corrected no matter whom it benefits.

To knowingly remain silent about a timecard error that benefits you is no different from theft.

In payroll, we used to see overpayments all the time. From system problems, to incorrect timecards, to incorrect work codes, to incorrect rates, etc. From our perspective, very few employees ever mentioned the error. If we caught it or the center asked us for a correction, it was like pulling teeth to recover the overpayment. Some state laws permit deducting overpayments from future paychecks but some state laws required us to send a letter asking the employee for permission to take back the funds. (Guess how many of those letters were ever returned??) If it was a larger amount, we were more than willing to split the repayment over several weeks to minimize the impact.

I could understand how an employee may not notice a small overpayment. The way the rates work for different types of work can be very confusing and if you work multiple PT jobs in a day, it gets tricky. But when you see a sleeper driver getting double paid for several months, you have to wonder why he didn't feel morally obligated to mention it. It wasn't small dollar amounts. It was an extra $1500 - $1800 per week. (Shockingly, there was no comment when we caught the problem and stopped the double payments.)

Or the PT employee who attempted a FT driving job. He apparently didn't make his 30 days and returned to his former PT job. But HR didn't change him back to PT. So, he kept getting paid as a FT driver, moving through the seniority steps, getting the driver wage increases, getting 8 hour holiday/personal days. HR finally corrected him about a year later and backdated the change to when he returned to the PT work. This meant that we were supposed to look at all of his timecards for the year (which clearly showed he was working his PT job) and calculate what he should have been paid at the PT rate compared to what he was paid at the FT rate. In addition, all of his holidays, vacations, etc should have been paid at fewer hours. It was a difference of thousands of dollars. Should he have known that his rate should have dropped back down to his PT rate when he returned to his PT job? Yes. Did HR drop the ball by not correcting his job classification in the system? Yes. Fault lay with both sides. I'm not sure how that one worked out but I think all parties agreed that it was ridiculous to ask him to repay that kind of money.

Mistakes happen. UPS has the responsibility to issue payments correctly and take swift action when corrections are needed. This is why payroll issues manual checks to correct errors on a daily basis instead of waiting for the next paycheck. At the same time, I would hope that anyone who received additional (unearned) pay in error would have the personal ethics to report it.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Every time I have been overpaid, I have informed my supervisor, and each time I get a smile and a "don't worry about it". Okay, I have done my part.