Ever gotten a prohibited HAZMAT on your truck/trailer?

BrownEvo

I was never there long enough but a loader there five years said a bad one was on there, can't remember what it was though..

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
We do it all the time here, at least we used to. Pick up packages from one of the DOD contractors, BAS. They are exempt from the restrictions.

That is a really good reason to never drop a package, or to let them drop off the belt.

I we only knew what was in some of the packages we pick up and deliver......But that was the subject of another thread

d

Big Babooba

Back in the late 70's I had a Radioactive Red III come down the chute (since then the designations have changed). I stopped the slave belt and left the trailer. Pud Head, my supervisor (that's what we called him to his face) came over and I told him the situation. He looked at the label and loaded it.

I took it out and placed it on the grate. Pud Head told me to load it and I refused. He then opened the box and pulled out some clothes. He said that they were only clothes and that I was ordered to load them. he then crossed out the diamond label and wrote void across it.

I said, "Pud Head, how to you know that those clothes aren't radioactive?", I pulled the box out again and put it on the grate. He told me to punch out and go home. I went to the steward. He went to the Division Manager's office. I didn't go home.

Turns out that Pud Head got his ears pinned back the next day for ordering me to load that box and altering a diamond label. He was ordered to apologize to me in front of all those who were present in the area.
:cool_dog:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
You don't play with Hazmat.

The supervisor in the previous post should have been fired.

The lask of controls with Hazmat Freight helped put an end to Emery Worldwide.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have never had this experience but I think we have all had the shipper who did not see a problem in reusing a Hazmat box or using a "booze box" to ship a package.

DS

Fenderbender
I picked up 4 cans of water based paint going from Toronto to Milwaukee or something by ground.(standard)...They had repacked them in 2 old boxes that they had spraypainted white over the diamond label.
Man did I get hell.They sent back 3 pages of photos of the 2 boxes with circles and arrows of where the old diamond labels were 1% visible.
I wont do that again.

City Driver

yea, all the time

last week i stripped a trailer that wasnt placarded at all.....it had 4,000 lbs of flammable liquid and 1500 lbs of corrosive on it....no bills on that freight at all...people just load whatever the hell they want and dont even bother to write it up

also a few months ago caught a pallet of rice loaded under a skid of poison.......poison cant be loaded on any trailer with foodstuffs

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I think in freight in would happen more than package where some forbidden goods are load in with other forbidden goods, I don't want to think that flammables are load with corrosives or radioactives and class 4 poisons loaded one on top another. If this is happening,UPS is looking at a major disaster down the road (lets not forget the fines that follow).

Big Babooba

I picked up 4 cans of water based paint going from Toronto to Milwaukee or something by ground.(standard)...They had repacked them in 2 old boxes that they had spraypainted white over the diamond label.
Man did I get hell.They sent back 3 pages of photos of the 2 boxes with circles and arrows of where the old diamond labels were 1% visible.
I wont do that again.
Were there 27 8x10 color glossies?:happy2: