Ever had a hard day that made you like your job?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Well, I been kinda complaining about the wall sweeps in the area I'm working in and for the last 2 nights I have had the opportunity to be the wall sweep. I like it better than unloading and as an unloader you appreciate it when a wallsweep actually comes in and sweeps the walls. We got slammed tonight with irregs and I was like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. But everyone in my area was grateful for the job I was doing. Most of the time guys from other areas come down to our quad and wallsweep. They pretty much just use it as a way to get out of the normal job they do so they can coast for the night. I see it as a position that enables the unloaders to do their jobs better and their sorters ,also. I left work tonight feeling like I had done a good job and was appreciated for the effort I put forth, from management and co-workers. Not trying to stroke myself just haven't had that feeling for quite awhile. Just thought maybe some of you guys and gals might be able to relate.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well, I been kinda complaining about the wall sweeps in the area I'm working in and for the last 2 nights I have had the opportunity to be the wall sweep. I like it better than unloading and as an unloader you appreciate it when a wallsweep actually comes in and sweeps the walls. We got slammed tonight with irregs and I was like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. But everyone in my area was grateful for the job I was doing. Most of the time guys from other areas come down to our quad and wallsweep. They pretty much just use it as a way to get out of the normal job they do so they can coast for the night. I see it as a position that enables the unloaders to do their jobs better and their sorters ,also. I left work tonight feeling like I had done a good job and was appreciated for the effort I put forth, from management and co-workers. Not trying to stroke myself just haven't had that feeling for quite awhile. Just thought maybe some of you guys and gals might be able to relate.
Oh boy oh boy did you leave yourself wide open for the retorts. Can't wait.

Anyway, back to why I quoted you. I, and probably a few others are in small ctrs. WTH is a wall sweep? And how does that coincide with you stroking yourself? OOOOOPS was that one of them retorts that I warned you about? :peaceful::happy-very:

UPSNewbie

Anyway, back to why I quoted you. I, and probably a few others are in small ctrs. WTH is a wall sweep? And how does that coincide with you stroking yourself? OOOOOPS was that one of them retorts that I warned you about? :peaceful::happy-very:

We don't have them here, either. But my guess is that it's someone who takes the irregs out of the trailer that you set aside on the wall behind you. Here, we have to move our own irregs to the slide so the pillar-slamming train can honk and pick it up. Which kills any type of groove you get going while unloading. That was my biggest "production hindrance."

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We don't have them here, either. But my guess is that it's someone who takes the irregs out of the trailer that you set aside on the wall behind you. Here, we have to move our own irregs to the slide so the pillar-slamming train can honk and pick it up.
It must be nice to have special handling of irreg's. Ours get loaded into the pkg cars and the drivers have to actually deliver them. :surprised:

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"

A wallsweep is a person that is supposed to work the area and try to handle the irregs as an unloader is unloading. When he/she comes to a package that is not supposed to go on the belt he/she puts it to the side along the wall. The wallsweep is supposed to work the area and take the irregs out and move them to the irregs belt. When the unloader has to handle all the irregs there is a tendancy for the trailer to be very congested on both sides of the extendo and then the unloader has to deal with them when he/she is finished unloading the trailer. Not to mention he/she just worked their butt off unloading. So the wallsweep makes the unloader's job easier. And yes, the package car drivers still have to deliver them. This is just for the unloading/sorting operation. But you didn't answer the original question. Guess you just wanted to poke a little fun, huh?

A wallsweep is a person that is supposed to work the area and try to handle the irregs as an unloader is unloading. When he/she comes to a package that is not supposed to go on the belt he/she puts it to the side along the wall. The wallsweep is supposed to work the area and take the irregs out and move them to the irregs belt. When the unloader has to handle all the irregs there is a tendancy for the trailer to be very congested on both sides of the extendo and then the unloader has to deal with them when he/she is finished unloading the trailer. Not to mention he/she just worked their butt off unloading. So the wallsweep makes the unloader's job easier. And yes, the package car drivers still have to deliver them. This is just for the unloading/sorting operation. But you didn't answer the original question. Guess you just wanted to poke a little fun, huh?
I really don't think she was poking fun.....that time . She just didn't know what a wallsweep was, neither did I. We don't have irreg trains either, here they use a platform cart and push it from point A to point B. Thanks for the explanation.

NO

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Bubsdad, Hey thanks for being a great employee and doing a great job. Have a great weekend, be safe and see you on monday.

bigbrownhen

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea what a wallsweep was either.
As for the job, I like mine, its just the extra junk they throw on top that can ruin your day. I try to stay upbeat. I love days when the sun shines and things just click all day. Pick ups are light, not too much bulk, and resi deliveries are all on same side of street as I dont have to criss cross or turn around much. I come home smiling on those days.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had never heard of the term "wallsweep" either. One of my first jobs was working Irregulars, but that was back in the late 70's. No wallsweeps then, the unloader put it on the extendo and irregs went straight to the Primary Sorter. In the Atlanta Hub, the sorter would drop them to the floor with smalls, and shove them on the Purple Belt. I worked on the Purlpe Belt. We had to push irregulars around the Hub on floats, and we had a retired P400 we used one winter. Then those electric Taylor trains came out, they were a big improvement.:smart:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Bub, My first question was because I didn't know what a wall-sweep was. The rest were just rhetorical question at your expense. I was ribbing you a little. Hence, the smilies:happy-very::peaceful:.

It is nice to have a good day at work and I'm glad that you had one. LOL

Ya gotta admit, you kinda stepped into it with the 'stroking' comment. Did not mean anything personal by it.:wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am going to call myself a package sweep from now on. My job will be to sweep all the packages in the truck to their proper location in a timely manner.:peaceful:
When you get done sweeping there, i have a house you can come and sweep!:happy-very:

You can just hop on that broom of yours and ride all the way to Chicago!:surprised: