Every time I come back from vacation...

Every time I come back from vacation I feel like I'm having to clean up after cover drivers that ran my route when I was gone. Misdeliveries, claims, upset customers, lost packages that haven't become claims yet...the list goes on and on. Sometimes I don't even want to take vacation knowing what lies ahead when I come back. Anyone else feeling this way or am I on an island?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Every time I come back from vacation I feel like I'm having to clean up after cover drivers that ran my route when I was gone. Misdeliveries, claims, upset customers, lost packages that haven't become claims yet...the list goes on and on. Sometimes I don't even want to take vacation knowing what lies ahead when I come back. Anyone else feeling this way or am I on an island?

Let's see. One day of customers whining about your absence versus a week of peace and relaxation. It's a no brainer and it makes the customer appreciate you even more.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You have to learn the fine art of detachment.

What happens when you are not there is not your problem.

You will be paid over $45 an hour on OT to clean up whatever messes are there when you get back.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
You need to separate from your job. That's the great thing about our job. You clock, you're done. Stop worrying.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Take all your weeks at once. Cover driver will have to deal with all the follow ups and such.

Plus if they learn your route well enough you won't have those problems anymore.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I tell the split driver I'm only off for 1 week, even though it's 2. Come Friday, they screw themselves for Monday.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No dolly, no tape gun and a bent mirror arm. Is what I usually have to look fordward to!
images-20.jpeg
Hand truck

2014-07-09-14-10-46--820575640.jpeg
Dolly!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Cover drivers get a bad rap. I covered a route for over a year because a guy was on comp.

The guy that covered the route when i went on vacation was a 25 year employee that is the definition of runner. I had more claims and follow ups after he would run it for a week than I have for any other employee.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The kid who covers my route is a cocky :censored2: runner but he doesn't leave much trash in my truck and things aren't that screwed up when I come back.

Sent using BrownCafe App

AKCoverMan

Obviously I wasn't covering your route. Customers always seen pleased to see me.

But I'm sure I've had my moments. When your on one of the routes that you only get a few days per year on its hard to know customers preferences and routines. My goal is simply to try to duplicate how regular guy does it. But you don't know what you don't know.

Kis124

I feel like that too. Altho I'm in preload, even 1day off I come back to a mess at my bay. Trash, tape gun missing, all my settings messed with. Its frustrating but it stopped when I brought the trash the guy left to him and asked if I looked like his wife. He said no. I replied, why do I have to pick up after you then, and threw it in his area

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member

I simply give the complaining customers the office number.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You have to learn the fine art of detachment.

What happens when you are not there is not your problem.

You will be paid over $45 an hour on OT to clean up whatever messes are there when you get back.

I am a firm believer that I can be replaced. Whether it's me or a swing driver, the route will get delivered.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I set my relief driver up to be successful by leaving him a clean, uncluttered truck that is fully fueled and well stocked with several weeks worth of dog biscuits.

I am also diligent about making the office put notes in the DIAD for gate codes, bad dogs etc.

Having done all that, I leave all my worries behind once I clock out and begin my vacation.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I set my relief driver up to be successful by leaving him a clean, uncluttered truck that is fully fueled and well stocked with several weeks worth of dog biscuits.

I am also diligent about making the office put notes in the DIAD for gate codes, bad dogs etc.

Having done all that, I leave all my worries behind once I clock out and begin my vacation.
I suspect your stand-in might get eaten if caught without treats.

9.5er

I'm a cover driver. I know a bunch of different routes and try to run each one like the regular driver. I've been on them all enough to know when and where I need to be at any given time of day. I've had a some customers ask if I could take the other guys spot.

OptimusPrime

In defense of cover drivers, depending on the route, we are giving a plate of hot mess, told to eat it, and that is all. Go deliver. And some route drivers play it tight. They don't want to give away their "secrets". Fine and dandy, but it is what it is. 2701 Sycamore, with the three pitbulls snarling. We have no idea they are sweethearts. NI1 Gated and I'm gone. Dr. Frankenstein Dental, that never opens before noon. I have zero idea that the Nail Salon accepts your packages with theirs at 11:30am. Deal with it. Or that Big House of Weaves, a business that doesn't open until 4pm prefers to have their business delivered to their house at 123 Poopchute Plaza.