Every time I come back from vacation...

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by NoPenNoStylusNoProblem, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Every time I come back from vacation I feel like I'm having to clean up after cover drivers that ran my route when I was gone. Misdeliveries, claims, upset customers, lost packages that haven't become claims yet...the list goes on and on. Sometimes I don't even want to take vacation knowing what lies ahead when I come back. Anyone else feeling this way or am I on an island?

2. jaker

jaker trolling

We all have to deal with it , so man up and keep taking those vacations

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

Let's see. One day of customers whining about your absence versus a week of peace and relaxation. It's a no brainer and it makes the customer appreciate you even more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

You have to learn the fine art of detachment.

What happens when you are not there is not your problem.

You will be paid over $45 an hour on OT to clean up whatever messes are there when you get back.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

You need to separate from your job. That's the great thing about our job. You clock, you're done. Stop worrying.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Take all your weeks at once. Cover driver will have to deal with all the follow ups and such.

Plus if they learn your route well enough you won't have those problems anymore.

7. No dolly, no tape gun and a bent mirror arm. Is what I usually have to look fordward to!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I tell the split driver I'm only off for 1 week, even though it's 2. Come Friday, they screw themselves for Monday.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  9. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

images-20.jpeg Hand truck

2014-07-09-14-10-46--820575640.jpeg Dolly!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Cover drivers get a bad rap. I covered a route for over a year because a guy was on comp.

The guy that covered the route when i went on vacation was a 25 year employee that is the definition of runner. I had more claims and follow ups after he would run it for a week than I have for any other employee.

11. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

The kid who covers my route is a cocky douche runner but he doesn't leave much trash in my truck and things aren't that screwed up when I come back.

Sent using BrownCafe App

12. AKCoverMan

AKCoverMan Active Member

Obviously I wasn't covering your route. Customers always seen pleased to see me.

But I'm sure I've had my moments. When your on one of the routes that you only get a few days per year on its hard to know customers preferences and routines. My goal is simply to try to duplicate how regular guy does it. But you don't know what you don't know.

13. Kis124

Kis124 Member

I feel like that too. Altho I'm in preload, even 1day off I come back to a mess at my bay. Trash, tape gun missing, all my settings messed with. Its frustrating but it stopped when I brought the trash the guy left to him and asked if I looked like his wife. He said no. I replied, why do I have to pick up after you then, and threw it in his area

Sent using BrownCafe App

14. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

I simply give the complaining customers the office number.

15. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

I am a firm believer that I can be replaced. Whether it's me or a swing driver, the route will get delivered.

16. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

I set my relief driver up to be successful by leaving him a clean, uncluttered truck that is fully fueled and well stocked with several weeks worth of dog biscuits.

I am also diligent about making the office put notes in the DIAD for gate codes, bad dogs etc.

Having done all that, I leave all my worries behind once I clock out and begin my vacation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

I suspect your stand-in might get eaten if caught without treats.

18. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

I'm a cover driver. I know a bunch of different routes and try to run each one like the regular driver. I've been on them all enough to know when and where I need to be at any given time of day. I've had a some customers ask if I could take the other guys spot.

19. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

Easy fix, Don't come back from vacation

20. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Active Member

In defense of cover drivers, depending on the route, we are giving a plate of hot mess, told to eat it, and that is all. Go deliver. And some route drivers play it tight. They don't want to give away their "secrets". Fine and dandy, but it is what it is. 2701 Sycamore, with the three pitbulls snarling. We have no idea they are sweethearts. NI1 Gated and I'm gone. Dr. Frankenstein Dental, that never opens before noon. I have zero idea that the Nail Salon accepts your packages with theirs at 11:30am. Deal with it. Or that Big House of Weaves, a business that doesn't open until 4pm prefers to have their business delivered to their house at 123 Poopchute Plaza.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List