Everybody better pack a lunch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober, you mentioned in your post no commercial deliveries between noon and 1pm. The only rule that I am aware of is that you cannot show any commercial closed between noon and 1. There is no rule saying you cannot deliver to an open business between noon and 1. I generally deliver 20 to 30 stops between noon and 1, both commercial and residential, and I have only 1 stop (IRS) that I know will not be there.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, you mentioned in your post no commercial deliveries between noon and 1pm. The only rule that I am aware of is that you cannot show any commercial closed between noon and 1. There is no rule saying you cannot deliver to an open business between noon and 1. I generally deliver 20 to 30 stops between noon and 1, both commercial and residential, and I have only 1 stop (IRS) that I know will not be there.

If you can deliver them thats fine, but noon business closures are a service issue for many drivers that require them to either break trace or simply take their lunch during that time in order to avoid service failures.

If following the trace or working around these closures...per managements instructions...causes a driver to be away from a suitable lunch/break location then some allowance needs to be made for that driver to drive to such a location on the clock.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Ok. So let's say I could drive three blocks off trace to a restaurant or I could walk to satisfy telematics. Let's say from three blocks away my pc is not in sight and is vandalized. Am I now going to be held accountable for abandoning my vehicle to take my lunch break in a reasonable location? This is likely a rare occurence currently, but what if it becomes COMMON PLACE for UPS trucks to be sitting blocks (or miles) away from their operators for an hour at a time at a regular as clockwork time 5 days a week? How tempting will the contents be now?

purplesky

The idiots who made this rule did so from within the comfort of a heated and air-conditioned office that is just down the hallway from a restroom.

In the real world....someone who accepts packages from the general public and handles a DIAD that is used by dozens of people a day needs a suitable place to wash his/her hands prior to eating or after using the toilet.

If UPS wants to install chemical toilets and handwashing facilities in the backs of the trucks...or rent them and position them along the route...then they have the right to keep us from "breaking trace" in their vehicle. Until that happens...I will drive the vehicle on the clock a reasonable distance to a restroom, and if management has a problem with that they can kiss my ass.

Man this is a great point and I would love to see UPS try to explain on the TODAY SHOW or lets say NIGHTLINE that they will not allow their drivers to wash their hands with all the flu issues today. :wink2:

Man this is a great point and I would love to see UPS try to explain on the TODAY SHOW or lets say NIGHTLINE that they will not allow their drivers to wash their hands with all the flu issues today. :wink2:

Because drivers have no common cense?

some1else

//Am I now going to be held accountable for abandoning my vehicle to take my lunch break in a reasonable location?//

uh you are on an unpaid lunch; if you where sitting babysitting the PC you would not be "released from service"

the only lunch related issue i had was similar. secured andparked PC in shopping center when i got the last del. there done. then walked across street to eat (the lot is really small and i knew there wasnt gonna be a space for my 1200).

got back to my truck right at 59minutes and a pre-load manager was standing there yelling about how someone could have broken in! I told him that i would be more than willing to work straight through the day and punch out w/o lunch and watch the car all day. but if im not getting paid im not babysitting your equiptment.

browniehound

The idiots who made this rule did so from within the comfort of a heated and air-conditioned office that is just down the hallway from a restroom.

In the real world....someone who accepts packages from the general public and handles a DIAD that is used by dozens of people a day needs a suitable place to wash his/her hands prior to eating or after using the toilet.

If UPS wants to install chemical toilets and handwashing facilities in the backs of the trucks...or rent them and position them along the route...then they have the right to keep us from "breaking trace" in their vehicle. Until that happens...I will drive the vehicle on the clock a reasonable distance to a restroom, and if management has a problem with that they can kiss my ass.

You just said it all when you said it Sober. We are not prisoners of war. If UPS is requiring us to take the hour lunch they must allow us to wash our hands, use a bathroom, and leave the truck running for heat. The average high temp in Boston for January is about 35 degrees friend. It would be cruel and unusual punishment for UPS to force an employee to sit for an hour in those conditions.

I don't care what anyone says, the hour lunch benefits UPS more than it benefits the employee. UPS benefits from lunch-runners and the hour post-ponedment of OT for drivers making later pick-ups. I tell you what UPS, I won't idle your truck if you don't force me to sit for an hour on cold winter days?

It sounds fair to me. Does it sound fair to you?

happybob

Feeders
This is what dookiebrowns posted:
Break starts as soon as driver breaks trace, and ends when driver is back on trace. Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off.

His two statements are contradictory but I read this within context of the rest of his post and thought that "Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off."
I will leave it to Dookie to clarify exactly what he meant but until then I stick to my interpretation (how appropriate is that for this thread) that the DOT reported Lunch break (via the DIAD) starts "when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off."

No need to clarify. I am writing it as I read it word for word.
I think the intent of the language is to insure that the driver codes the break time after the vehicle has been stopped and shut off. It sounds like the break does start once you break trace, but, put the time in the diad after the vehicle has been stopped.

rod

Retired 22 years
If the company could get away with it they would try to get out of paying the driver for time spent driving from one stop to the next.

I was watching a program on our local Public Television station today that was showing how things were before the iron mines were unionized and they said that in the pre union days the miners were only paid for hours that they were actually loading iron ore. Anything else such as the half hour or more trip down into the mine or shoaring up the tunnels so they didn't cave in on them was "off the clock". They also had to buy their own candles, shovels and other mining tools- from the company store. (Sorry- now I picture some UPS big nut sitting at a desk in Atlanta saying- "Damn, that sounds like a good idea")

P

pickup

So as a Cut Driver who spends alot of days in the middle of nowhere.........
New rules regarding how and where break is spent in the Minnesnowta district.

Any driver who wishes to take break cannot break trace by more than .25 miles.

Break starts as soon as driver breaks trace, and ends when driver is back on trace. Break time must be coded when the vehicle is stopped and the engine is shut off.

And finally for those of us who can't make it to a gas station or restaurant when it -10, any break taken on trace must be done so with the vehicle stopped and the engine shut OFF.

All this is very interesting. What's even more interesting is when meeting with the strongarms from the Union to tell them that " we own the trucks and pay for the gas, so we get to make the rules." All they said in reply was NOTHING. I'm glad to see where my dues go.

I don't really think any of this will fly in the long run, but until then I'll just continue to bang my head against my bulkhead.

You could always quit. Then apply for welfare and food stamps!! Or maybe just be thankful that you even have a job.....even if it is a shi**y one.

the above in black are the words of wisdom you dispensed to another poster in another thread.

Dookiebrowns

You could always quit. Then apply for welfare and food stamps!! Or maybe just be thankful that you even have a job.....even if it is a shi**y one.

the above in black are the words of wisdom you dispensed to another poster in another thread.

You don't see anywhere in there where I say I hate my job or UPS.
Good Effort.:wink2:

If you get caught peeing in the bushes you will get fired. So where do you go? It happened in our building. I am going to design a disposable porta-potty and sell it to UPS and retire,