Except for the Boobus, Solar Power Not being Laughed At

wkmac

Solar power and other distributed renewable energy technologies could lay waste to U.S. power utilities and burn the utility business model, which has remained virtually unchanged for a century, to the ground.

That is not wild-eyed hippie talk. It is the assessment of the utilities themselves.

Back in January, the Edison Electric Institute — the (typically stodgy and backward-looking) trade group of U.S. investor-owned utilities — released a report [PDF] that, as far as I can tell, went almost entirely without notice in the press. That’s a shame. It is one of the most prescient and brutally frank things I’ve ever read about the power sector. It is a rare thing to hear an industry tell the tale of its own incipient obsolescence.

Solar panels could destroy U.S. utilities, according to U.S. utilities

brett636

I would like nothing more than for renewable power options to become affordable to the average home owner such that each and every home is producing its own energy lacking connection to any kind of grid. The problem still is that solar and wind energy is expensive to harness with little gain. Maybe we will start seeing some movement toward more efficient wind generators and solar panels such that we can reliably live off of those sources without severely crippling our way of life. I still have a hard time seeing that occuring in my lifetime, but then again one never knows.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
I wonder who has the means to invest millions/billions into research that may not return any benefits for decades?

Big Government? Yep, that's who.

Upsmule

I wonder who has the means to invest millions/billions into research that may not return any benefits for decades?

Big Government? Yep, that's who.

Sadly that mentality is the problem with the current economy!

In spite of the historical evidence that inflated bureaucracies fail and go bankrupt. Ugh....never mind.

804brown

I would like nothing more than for renewable power options to become affordable to the average home owner such that each and every home is producing its own energy lacking connection to any kind of grid. The problem still is that solar and wind energy is expensive to harness with little gain. Maybe we will start seeing some movement toward more efficient wind generators and solar panels such that we can reliably live off of those sources without severely crippling our way of life. I still have a hard time seeing that occuring in my lifetime, but then again one never knows.

First lets stop subsidizing oil, gas, coal and nuclear. Then the real costs of these dirty fuels will be felt and the alternative fuels will be a better bet.

wkmac

First lets stop subsidizing oil, gas, coal and nuclear. Then the real costs of these dirty fuels will be felt and the alternative fuels will be a better bet.

Exactly. We don't need to subsidize alternative energy but stop giving market advantage to monopolized hydrocarbons. Funny how some people get stuck only on one side of the welfare picture while ignoring the other. Stop externalizing costs onto the public sector and I dare say the 1% would not be what it is and all by the self regulation of natural market forces. The 1% became such as a result of gov't and not in spite of.

If we are talking about a large national, centralized, even monopolized/cartel grid, then yes Brett's point IMO has validity for a number of reasons and actually I'd tend to agree with his point. However I'm still solidly in the off grid, decentralized camp, in fact going there myself in the near future and thus much more to say on this subject but I'll leave it there for now.

oldngray

nowhere special
Exactly. We don't need to subsidize alternative energy but stop giving market advantage to monopolized hydrocarbons. Funny how some people get stuck only on one side of the welfare picture while ignoring the other. Stop externalizing costs onto the public sector and I dare say the 1% would not be what it is and all by the self regulation of natural market forces. The 1% became such as a result of gov't and not in spite of.

If we are talking about a large national, centralized, even monopolized/cartel grid, then yes Brett's point IMO has validity for a number of reasons and actually I'd tend to agree with his point. However I'm still solidly in the off grid, decentralized camp, in fact going there myself in the near future and thus much more to say on this subject but I'll leave it there for now.

The oil companies do get federal subsidies but the states tax heavily at the pump. I don't know the raw numbers but its probably a wash, or with the extra taxes we pay even more than is spent on subsidies.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's short for the scientific term Boobus Americanus created by H.L. Mencken.

For all the others who didn't know what this was either....I am not the only one!!

Boobus Americanus
a term originally coined by H.L. Mencken

and the urban dictionary now defines it as

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boobus%2...

Complacent, lazy & stupid US citizen who votes for politicians based upon information proffered by government shills in the mainstream media, or for other vacuous reasons. This people not only doesn't understand the concept of "limited government", but has never read The Constitution nor The Bill of Rights. He also believes his vote counts and that politicians are honest.

oldngray

nowhere special
For all the others who didn't know what this was either....I am not the only one!!

Boobus Americanus
a term originally coined by H.L. Mencken

and the urban dictionary now defines it as

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boobus%2...

Complacent, lazy & stupid US citizen who votes for politicians based upon information proffered by government shills in the mainstream media, or for other vacuous reasons. This people not only doesn't understand the concept of "limited government", but has never read The Constitution nor The Bill of Rights. He also believes his vote counts and that politicians are honest.

Urban Dictionary is such a reputable source :P

moreluck

golden ticket member
Urban Dictionary is such a reputable source :P
Of the gazillion listings available.....I took one of the first ones. You can probably find a million other meanings..... At least I don' think it's a ghost transit anymore. I could've left this world not knowing and I would've been fine!!

Time is better spent eating a Nutty Buddy !!!

wkmac

The oil companies do get federal subsidies but the states tax heavily at the pump. I don't know the raw numbers but its probably a wash, or with the extra taxes we pay even more than is spent on subsidies.

The taxes at the pump pay for the roads which in turn help creates a market in which the product that the oil company sells will produce a demand. So even that money ultimately is all spent to the benefit of the oil company. Not to mention all that asphalt is petroleum based. And let's not even discuss all the money spent across the globe that insures the US Oil cartel maintains it's oil dominance all the while keeping the dollar as premier currency to the benefit of banking interests. From using the military to maintain control or the Navy to maintain shipping lanes. Crony capitalism at it's best. There's a reason it's all to big to fail. It was set up that way!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Nothing is to big to fail .
Budget cuts could cripple a Navy , thus removing that element from the equation .
Other countries are talking with China about replacing the US Dollar as the world's currency .

wkmac

Nothing is to big to fail .
Budget cuts could cripple a Navy , thus removing that element from the equation .
Other countries are talking with China about replacing the US Dollar as the world's currency .

That may be true but when you have centralized power in the controls of an entity that holds a monopoly of force and all are compelled to support it's actions, those "bigs" can go a very long way before the ability to continue to sustain it just becomes to overwhelming even for those in power. It's also what attracts the "bigs" to pump huge amounts of money into it's elective process in order to drive an outcome of which they benefit.

Look at the massive debt that had to be created to keep the dollar in position as reserve currency when the collapse in 08' happened. And who is most of that debt saddled on to repay? And who really benefited? Externalizing costs while insuring future private profits.

As to other countries talking with China about currency, why do you think all the saber rattling towards China has been taking place. China is hacking computers is the excuse? You mean China might be doing what the US Gov't is doing through Prism? What's wrong, can't stand the competition? Here's a real kicker for you. Could history several hundred years from now view China as hero and USA as villain and do so through the lens of Liberty and Freedom? Don't shutter at the prospect as history can be funny that way.

Part of Qaddafi's downfall was creating a Pan Africa Monetary Fund with the rest of Africa thus by passing the IMF and the World Bank while at the same time backing the whole thing with a gold backed Dinar currency. That would have gone a long way in kicking out the legs of the debt based hegemony of the global banking cartel and likely brought down the dollar as reserve currency. Could history also show a positive side of the madman from Libya?

This goes to the heart of Carl Von Clausewitz's famous saying:

War is the continuation of politics by other means.

klein

Für Meno :)
Here's a nice camping gear :

Here's your next camping trip, powered by a Goal Zero Escape 150 Adventure Solar Kit.