Excessive Backing?

kingOFchester

"Trying to get done" is because I love me kids more than I like my customers. I am a single dad of two great boys and would rather be home with them in the evenings not driving a big brown coffin.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I understand where you are coming from. And my following response is not meant to question your statement about loving your kids and getting done to spend more time with them.

I had every excuse in the book for being a runner and gunner. Still find myself using some from that book time to time. Some for legitimate reasons, and some just because I don't want to spend another second behind the wheel of a brown turd. But the truth is, UPS has designed a system to combat the contract where we do not recognize production standards. UPS wants us to run. They want us to cheat. They want us not to report injuries. They will use and abuse the studs. They will add work. Pat you on the back. They will even do you favors. However, they will add more work. They will dispatch trips around you according to the numbers you give UPS. Get in an accident, and they will forget all about your numbers.

I grew tired of stressing about getting done. I grew tired of having a truck get more and more work on it. I grew tired of being the guy asked to help everyone. I grew tired of pulling into my driveway and feeling aches and pains in my legs. I grew tired of being irritable to the family do to the stress of the job. Now that I take an hour lunch, walk off stops, show up to work and close truck without touching a package, use hand truck for anything that is remotely bulky or heavy......I feel 100 times better. Back pain do to stress gone. Legs feeling good. Home life much more cheery. Does it suck getting home at 8-9? Yes. Does it suck missing some of my kids activities? Yes. But I made a choice in life. I did not pursue degrees. I did not strive to become a 9-5 suit and tie guy. I will probably make between 90k-100k. If I could find a job that pays 90-100k, pension and full healthcare with zero education that gets me hone everyday at 5:30, i would take it in a second. But I do not know of such a job.

Anyway, there are plenty of runners in my center that are happy with running. For me, it isn't worth it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If I have to explain how dangerous "free rolling" and 10,000lb truck is then you clearly shouldn't be working here. On top of that you are rolling it in reverse. You my friend are far from being a genius.
Once again its no different than being in reverse. Actually probably safer. The vehicle isn't off you still have brakes. The only time it's more dangerous would be at night when you don't have reverse lights.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"Trying to get done" is because I love me kids more than I like my customers. I am a single dad of two great boys and would rather be home with them in the evenings not driving a big brown coffin.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I wish there were a few special "family men" like you in my loop.
When you finished running off your stops, you would be instructed to come help me.

Indecisi0n

When you finished running off your stops, you would be instructed to come help me.

Haha that happens with me a lot. The driver is all pissed off when he is forced to help me. He burns his route, skips his lunch and his reward is 20 stops from me. I love it. It's not the first time and won't be his last. Remember, you can fix stupid.

kingOFchester

It is great not worrying about that green light. Worrying about who I would have to help. Worrying about traffic. Stressed over who is heavy around me and who is going to need help. Stressing about my load and spending my time fixing the load.

kingOFchester

I use to look at it this way, being a bonus driver:

• Man, I got paid for 10 hours of work in 8 hours. My hourly rate for time worked today came to about $44.00 an hour!! Stealling from the company with my 200 stops.

Now that I don't look at bonus I look at it this way:

• Man, I did 130 stops in 10. Thats like 3 bucks a stop. I use to do 200 stops and was only making a 1.70 a stop.

Indecisi0n

I use to look at it this way, being a bonus driver:

• Man, I got paid for 10 hours of work in 8 hours. My hourly rate for time worked today came to about $44.00 an hour!! Stealling from the company with my 200 stops.

Now that I don't look at bonus I look at it this way:

• Man, I did 130 stops in 10. Thats like 3 bucks a stop. I use to do 200 stops and was only making a 1.70 a stop.

I look at it this way. The company is paying me to do a job and to do it THEIR way. I don't own the company so I don't really have a say in how I am going to deliver. I use their methods which takes me longer to do the job but again its not my business. I make my hourly rate, then time and a half. On top of that I file 9.5 grievances which is MY RIGHT to do so as per the contract. I think I am compensated pretty well.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am set at 10 backs per day:dont_know:Good luck. Usually thats all I do, but some days, when parking lots are smaller because of snow, etc. Its going to happen. And I dont care, or keep track. I dont back if I dont have to. Never have, never will.

some1else

Banned
This was my solution to the backing harrasment;
Just ask how many backs per day should i do? 40, 50 ?? Just give me a number and i will never ever go over it!

Or i can use my judgment as i have for 12 years without an accident. Either way is fine. Its not fair to whine about excess backing and not giving me an exact number of what is too much. Id plan on doing route normal untill im about 5 backs under number. 1 for air wall 1 for slide and 3 just in case but i have a handcart and know how to walk no big deal.

They would not give me and number and went along and harrassed someone else

Indecisi0n

This was my solution to the backing harrasment;
Just ask how many backs per day should i do? 40, 50 ?? Just give me a number and i will never ever go over it!

Or i can use my judgment as i have for 12 years without an accident. Either way is fine. Its not fair to whine about excess backing and not giving me an exact number of what is too much. Id plan on doing route normal untill im about 5 backs under number. 1 for air wall 1 for slide and 3 just in case but i have a handcart and know how to walk no big deal.

They would not give me and number and went along and harrassed someone else

Monday park your truck nose first into your parking space at work. When they ask why tell them you were out of backs.

Back first

Once again its no different than being in reverse. Actually probably safer. The vehicle isn't off you still have brakes. The only time it's more dangerous would be at night when you don't have reverse lights.
Yes I think he misunderstood what I was saying. I do not use it often but when I do I start off in reverse and pop in neutral. I still use all the methods I was trained on. Absolutely no difference than if I did the entire back in reverse.

OPTION3

If I have to explain how dangerous "free rolling" and 10,000lb truck is then you clearly shouldn't be working here. On top of that you are rolling it in reverse. You my friend are far from being a genius.
Also if they do telematics and you back into something while "free rolling" could be considered a ROLL AWAY….INSTANT TERMINATION

OPTION3

Yes I think he misunderstood what I was saying. I do not use it often but
by that logic….do you stop for a stop sign when no-one is around? or what's the difference with" I don't run red lights often…but"-----safety is safety----free-rolling (taking your s and others safety at risk) to stay off a report is not wise

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Look at what they force us to do. Rather than trust us to make adjustments to changing conditions such as snow piles in cul de sacs and drive way turn arounds making additional backs necessary, they get on our case for additional backs or more back firsts than usual. Some of us react by doing a neutral back or multiple little backs because we heard it doesn't register on telemetrics or some other nonsense.

some1else

Banned
Yes I think he misunderstood what I was saying. I do not use it often but when I do I start off in reverse and pop in neutral. I still use all the methods I was trained on. Absolutely no difference than if I did the entire back in reverse.
Virginia that will get you 3 points
  • Coasting with gears in neutral

Indecisi0n

Look at what they force us to do. Rather than trust us to make adjustments to changing conditions such as snow piles in cul de sacs and drive way turn arounds making additional backs necessary, they get on our case for additional backs or more back firsts than usual. Some of us react by doing a neutral back or multiple little backs because we heard it doesn't register on telemetrics or some other nonsense.

You just made their problem (backs) become your problem. I been though a manager that did this to me (he targeted me for a bit) about backs. What did I do? Every single time I had to back I called him on the phone. Oh look a dock stop, I would pull over (without backing) and make the call. "Mr. XX I have a dock stop and I need to back but I need permission, can I back"? He approved. I did this the entire day which drove him NUTS. After about the 10th phone call he yelled "Stop calling and hung up on me". Did he ever bother me about backing? Nope.

Keep their problems THEIR problems.

OPTION3

JOE-----Not being critical…just observing….they want you to stop backing so much?----Stop backing …walk it off….cutting corners will get people fired..or worse yet Injured or KILLED

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The problem with doing this is that your energy and focus are on trying to find ways to keep from showing up on a report when they should be on finding a way to not give a crap about showing up on the damn report in the first place.

I go out and do my job safely every day. If I have to back, I back. If I show up on a report, oh well. If they dont like it they are free to complain to someone who gives a :censored2:, and if they want to call me in to the office to discuss it at $46 an hour on OT I will be more than happy to sit down and have a nice long chat with them.

Sent using BrownCafe App