Excessive overtime

ups79

After filing numerous grievances for excessive overtime I finally got my 3 day ride. The 3 days were uneventful with the supervisor saying little critically each day. I’m sure like most management he is not perfect in his knowledge of the methods. My usual delivery area was altered one day when close stops in a borough were added to my route. My normal area is very rural with many miles between stops so I know that this is grounds to have my Union throw out the ride. I have not had these stops since my ride. Among all the other daily hurdles we are presented with my center also instructs us to deliver misroute packages that are within a reasonable distance. Some of these take as much as forty minutes to deliver. Of course I was instructed to sheet these as missed during the three days. Afterward I was dismayed to see the childish division manager puffing his chest and strutting around like he just one some major victory. Disregarding the first day, the production numbers were identical to what they were getting before on my route. Is the management of this company really this stupid? I can only believe they are lying to try to intimidate others into not going through this process. They now have to monitor my stops daily and I have reclaimed my life outside of UPS. I urge all who do not want to be victimized by excessive hours to use your contract and file.
Overtime is what has allowed a lot of us to retire after 25 years. Why are you fighting it?

177member

Overtime is what has allowed a lot of us to retire after 25 years. Why are you fighting it?

I have worked a lot of overtime for most of my career. Now, in my last few years, I would like a break so I can get home at a reasonable hour. Good reasons to fight excessive overtime include increasing biddable routes and thus jobs. Also, my local pension does not get additional contributions for hours worked past 40. I do not regret filing to get a normal days dispatch. I feel that I have won my life back.

ups79

I have worked a lot of overtime for most of my career. Now, in my last few years, I would like a break so I can get home at a reasonable hour. Good reasons to fight excessive overtime include increasing biddable routes and thus jobs. Also, my local pension does not get additional contributions for hours worked past 40. I do not regret filing to get a normal days dispatch. I feel that I have won my life back.

Don't know any local that receives pension moneys by the hour. Most are funding weekly from the employer. Happy for you that you can now spend time with the family. I felt the same way but I believe when offered the job I noted that I would work any and all overtime.

over9five

Staff member

Nothin' wrong with that! Good to see there are people who have their finances so in order that they don't need OT.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Where in the contract does it say anything about planed days?
He does not understand that not everyone likes to come in an hour early to set their truck up on their own time or skip their lunch to increase paid under and impress management. That is also why he does not understand how the 9.5 language works.

Don't know any local that receives pension moneys by the hour. Most are funding weekly from the employer. Happy for you that you can now spend time with the family. I felt the same way but I believe when offered the job I noted that I would work any and all overtime.

Western conference pension is credited by your total hours worked up to 2080 a year.

J

JonFrum

Don't know any local that receives pension moneys by the hour. Most are funding weekly from the employer. . . .

1989 said:
Western conference pension is credited by your total hours worked up to 2080 a year.

The New England fund is by the hour as well. Every paid hour counts, with no daily maximum, however only a total of 40 hours a week are counted. You receive a full year of pension credit after 1800 hours, but the Fund continues to receive hourly contributions up to 2080 per year.

ups79

To me that represents a 52 week year at 40 hours per week, therefore overtime is not used to increase your pension. Actually you don't work 52 weeks because the union receives pension moneys for the weeks of vacation and etc.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It doesn't and that is my point.
Nor should it. Time planned is time speculated. Time taken is time recognized. UPS can adjust or alter its so-called "time allowances" at will...so if you put any mention of "planned day" into the contract in regards to over 9.5 grievances, all UPS would have to do is push a few buttons and rig the allowance to where anyone who filed would show an 8 hr plan.